PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speed Recording for Micro FE Boats.

questtek
01-05-2010, 05:02 PM
While several different GPS speed monitoring systems exist for most moderate to large FE’s, (Eagle Tree, Garmin, etc), they are generally way too large to be used in a micro FE. However, I am now using an ultra-miniature stand-alone GPS system that weighs a mere 14 grams and is a small fraction of the size of currently available units. It may be the perfect companion for any micro FE.

This GPS module is now being used for ocean current monitoring experiments around the Palm Islands and The World project in Dubai where I am a marine science consultant. Ocean field proven, it has performed flawlessly in the several months that I have been testing it on micro FE’s specifically the tiny 14” long carbon fiber Starship. When I more than doubled the motor size to enhance performance in this black beast, the available room for a standard GPS unit was nil. However the 14-gram Micro-GPS module fits perfect inside the white fiberglass top canopy. (Since Carbon Fiber will block GPS reception I am using a fiberglass canopy in place of the original carbon fiber canopy.)

This micro GPS turns out to be the “Fisherman’s Scale” of true measurement when trying to “guess-t-mate” speed on a small FE. Because of their tiny size they appear to be going faster than what they really are…. which is why I have seen some outrageous, but totally unverified, speed estimates. In short, the micro GPS is the truth serum for tiny FE speed data.

In operation, the micro GPS is turned on by a single push button micro switch. A flashing red LED indicates power and a flashing green LED indicated GPS satellite lock and recording. I set the interval at once per second but this is easily software configurable. I think the most important feature is software simplicity since it has no LCD direct readout like the Garmin but must be downloaded to a computer like Eagle Tree. Once download and the track selected you get both an automatic tabular display of position and speed data each second PLUS an auto-overlay of your entire run on Google Maps. In Google maps you can adjust the zoom as well as select map, terrain, photographic or hybrid map display on which your track(s) are shown.

Once the track is shown you can play back the entire run at variable speed (faster or slower than normal). You can click on any portion of the track and it will tell you your exact position and speed at that point. The display of your track is interesting since it gives you an idea of lap position repeatability.

The included pictures show the micro GPS unit, it’s mounting in fiberglass cowl and several computer screen GPS data shots of the Starship being run on the lake in front of my house. Note that it hit a “MEASURED” 49 mph and that was with a tiny plastic prop and old 3S LiPo with a 15C rating! Now its time to dial it in………..and observe the speed as I make a dozen or more changes to this micro marvel!

bigwaveohs
01-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I have a Starship too, but it's not much good if you can't score one!

questtek
01-05-2010, 07:32 PM
I have a Starship too, but it's not much good if you can't score one!

I do not understand the "can't score one" part ? You mean you cannot get one?

befu
01-05-2010, 08:20 PM
That is cool, is it any cheaper than the eagletree if you can fit that one?

And where to get one?

Brian

questtek
01-05-2010, 09:09 PM
That is cool, is it any cheaper than the eagletree if you can fit that one?

And where to get one?

Brian

Brian,
The Eagle Tree system is great. I have 3 of them and use them all the time. They give lots more info than the simple self-contained micro-GPS device I discussed. Here is the trade off:

Eagle Tree: MUCH more data, but pretty large to fit into a micro FE when you consider all the parts you need. You buy the data logger, the GPS unit, the two temp units and the brushless RPM unit and you are into some serious $$$$$$$$

Micro-GPS: These units that are currently being used for ocean current monitoring are about $100 however I can easily see them less than $50 or so. Granted you do not get all the info that an Eagle Tree + GPS +sensors will provide but it does indeed give you speed and boat tracking via Google Maps.

I will fly back to Asia soon and check with our techs designing U/W monitoring equipment if we can modify it to meet the needs of the FE community. If this can be done in the sub-$50 range I think it will be a winner.

befu
01-05-2010, 11:20 PM
If I can buy the eagle tree data logger for the $70 to measure my amps with, and then add a cheaper but seperate GPS unit, that would be great. My FE at the smallest is Mini-v's, not interested in measuring those.

But I am building a 18" mystic and a 1/16 shovel nose hydro I would like to find out more about.

I am going to get the eagle tree just for the amps as I would really like to know that. Speed is secondary for me, I only run for fun!

Brian

Ub Hauled
01-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Joe, I'd be looking forward to hear from you on this subject... it seems like a good deal.

andym
01-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Absolute greatness is coming your way if you can make these, water proof, long battery life or powered off 3rd channel and approx $50.00. There would not be a hobbiest be it boats, cars , planes or submarine that would not by one or two or three...