PDA

View Full Version : I.M.P.B.A. Sept. SAWs

Doug Smock
08-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Sponsored by Offshore Electrics:buttrock:

September 14th,15th, and 16th. at Blue Lake in Valdosta Ga. Exit 13 off I-75, 3 hrs. south of Atlanta. Plenty of lodging at exit 16.
No pre- registration required. Contest Director, Chris Harris.

If you have a better mouse trap bring it, or just come out and see what it's all about.

Steven Vaccaro and OSE have donated a 33"Delta Force mono that we will be having a raffle on.

If you have never been to a SAWs event you're missing out! So come up, down, over, or around to Blue Lake.

Great big thank you to Mr. Vaccaro and Offshore Electrics for your part in making this possible, it means alot to us all.:thumbup:

I'll post some pics and vids as soon as I get home and recover.:huh:

Doug
smockrc@bellsouth.net

Steven Vaccaro
08-31-2007, 08:41 PM
No problem Doug. I wish you guys smooth water!!

Doug Smock
08-31-2007, 08:54 PM
No problem Doug. I wish you guys smooth water!!

Thank you sir! :D

Doug

Doozie870
09-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Have you guys ever tried to get the motor really cold before a run, like with liquid nitrogen or something? I was reading on the mabuchi site that for every 1 degree the motor resistance changes by .39% I tried to copy the page to post, its pretty neat stuff.

SJFE
09-02-2007, 12:51 PM
You can possibly use freion or a can gum remover..lol. Of course thats a little risky on an abs hull. Can you imagin peggin the throttle and the bottom of the boat just rips out:roflol:

Doozie870
09-03-2007, 09:11 AM
seriously, say you put the motor in the freezer over night and the outside air was 80 the motor would be say 32, 80-32= 48 48 x.39=18.72 thats almost 19% less motor resistance. :buttrock:

Mich. Maniac
09-03-2007, 03:00 PM
If you go withthe freezer overnight it would also leave condensation in the motor as it warms. just a thought

wickedgmc
09-03-2007, 03:30 PM
a cold motor is a faster motor, much more makes a motor cooler for 540 motors and could work. I know with my 1/10th scale race car I used to use a motor cooler and you could tell. It did end up with condensation on the motor but never caused a problem. This item ran on a 12volt ps, there are others ways to do it as well. Some guys kept the motors in a cooler full of ice to keep the temp down.

Steven Vaccaro
09-03-2007, 09:35 PM
My cousin is a electrical engineer for a military firm. They do this with one of their products. They run a tiny radiator system to cool their brushless motors. For them its for both efficiency and more constant results in changing temperatures.

SJFE
09-03-2007, 09:57 PM
There is a company who makes a self contained liquid cooling system for RC. It was about 200 bucks and the pump was around 11 grams. I posted the system on the old forum. I will do some digging and see what I can find.

wickedgmc
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
is this what you are talking about SJFE

http://www.gaz-on.net/TCS-Thermal-Cooling-System-for

SJFE
09-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Yup. I had considered buying 2 complete systems. I had kiced around mounting the radiators up in the deck in cowels with fans behind them. One system for the esc and another directly to a water jacket. The problems I saw where the amount of coolant volume needed,weight & oh yeah...cost. Maybe a single system on a smaller boat would work.

Mich. Maniac
09-04-2007, 12:11 AM
but unless you have a compressor like an a/c water is still most abundent and coolest. even florida coast line water is in the 60 degrees area I believe. just an opinion, cool but not all that needed.

SJFE
09-04-2007, 09:25 AM
I believe Fluid posted once that the surface tempreture of most lakes and ponds in summer is almost 90 degrees. That really cuts down the amount of heat that water carries away. My aim was to use a synthetic coolant, forced air assist by fans & twin radaitors. IMO that would dissapate more heat than pond or lake water. I googled micro radaitors last night. The only hits I got where for computer systems. to big to heavy. It seems the system I suggested & Wicked found is the only one small enough. I would be looking @ 360 dollars for two systems. Not in the cards anytime soon.

Doug Smock
09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking if you can't get enough cooling from the lake you run on, your setup is too hot.
As far as SAWs go, there are probably more racers that do not use cooling on their motors that those that do.
Most Saws boats run for less than 10 sec. and that's both passes.

Doug

Steven Vaccaro
09-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm told the key is to super cool it before the run. now this comes from a very smart pencil pusher, so who knows. All I know is he has way more functioning brain cells than me :confused1:

Doug Smock
09-04-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm told the key is to super cool it before the run.

I don't doubt that for a minute.:smile:
I'm going to give Mr. Neu a call and see if there will be any ill effects from freezing the can and stator of one of his motors.
It is possible to build an evaporator to install on that motor. Then all a guy needs is a jug of 404-A and a recovery system. Just so happens, I have both.:w00t:
We might have to do some testing in that area.:D

Doug

raptor347
09-04-2007, 01:04 PM
You need to be a little careful with the super cooling. If the esc isn't REALLY water proof, the condensation that forms on the cold parts can short it out (ask me how I know).

SJFE
09-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Forgive me for kinda hijackin the thread. I kinda lost sight we where disscusing advantages for saw setups. My app is more for endurence races. One of the things Im trying to do away with is drag from pickups and intraducing water into the hull. Not to mention real radiators tucked into intakes with running fans would look really freekin kewl.

Doug Smock
09-04-2007, 04:28 PM
You need to be a little careful with the super cooling. If the esc isn't REALLY water proof, the condensation that forms on the cold parts can short it out (ask me how I know).

LOL
It's a shame the government won't let us vent refrigerant anymore. A clever fellow could store enough onboard to keep things pretty cool for at least a mile.:sneaky2:

Brian, Did you see anything noteworthy while you were cooling things off?? (other than the smoke from the ESC):wink:

Doug

Jeepers
09-04-2007, 10:29 PM
It's a shame the government won't let us vent refrigerant anymore. A clever fellow could store enough onboard to keep things pretty cool for at least a mile.

Doug Laws are made to be broken! J/K.

Also wouldnt the oil on the motor bearings get a little stiff under super cooled temperatures? I may be way wrong but have not kept up with oil tecnology.

Steven Vaccaro
09-05-2007, 10:05 AM
LOL
It's a shame the government won't let us vent refrigerant anymore. A clever fellow could store enough onboard to keep things pretty cool for at least a mile.:sneaky2:
Doug

My father was in the refriferation business way back. When we did summer house calls the number one problem was dust in the condensers. We used the high pressure in the freon tanks to blow out what we couldn't reach with a vacuum. That's a big no, no today and would be an expensive way to do it. Back than a tank of freon was about $15 bucks now I'm told its 4-5 times that.

Doug Smock
09-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Yep,dirty condensers are the #1 cause of system failures and the easiest service to perform. People don't think about it until they have a problem.
You DON"T want to get caught venting refrigerant. You can be fined $10,000 and up to 5 years in prison.:eek:
R-22 is $46.00 for 30#. Last I checked R-12 was over a grand for a 30# cylinder. I haven't purchased any 12 since 1995.
Doug

Steven Vaccaro
09-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Doug my father wanted to ask you if they are producing r12 any longer?

Doug Smock
09-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Doug my father wanted to ask you if they are producing r12 any longer?

No sir, they quit producing 12 several years ago. You can still buy it, but it has been "reclaimed". The virgin stuff is gone from the wholesalers.
If I remember right, they will stop production on R-22 in 2030.

Doug

kck741
09-07-2007, 10:06 AM
What about the small c02 tanks they use in the really small paint ball guns!!!might work

just thinking

SJFE
09-07-2007, 02:39 PM
If it where the carbon fiber tanks that may work. If I remember correctly from my painball days the carbon tanks where for No2 only. I dont know of you can co2 put in one of those tanks.

Steven Vaccaro
09-07-2007, 03:55 PM
If it where the carbon fiber tanks that may work. If I remember correctly from my painball days the carbon tanks where for No2 only. I dont know of you can co2 put in one of those tanks.

I have a shocker that was setup with a carbon wrapped tank because it was short and fat with a ton of volume. We used co2 in it. Some places wouldn't fill the tank. But that wasnt a problem since I brought my own fill station with me. :thumbup1:

Doozie870
09-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I havent seen the thread/artical but Rod (hydronut) was telling me about a Nos system kind of like the ones from tower for nitro trucks,that guys had modified for FE use, non flammable non corrosive as far as I know.
Didnt mean to distract the thread with this, just trying to help my saw cousins!

Doozie870
09-14-2007, 09:42 PM
good luck everyone, let em shatter!

FL-E-Boater
12-05-2007, 03:54 PM
My buddy in China FREEZES his NiMh packs and then does a hot charge. It works!

I'm told the key is to super cool it before the run. now this comes from a very smart pencil pusher, so who knows. All I know is he has way more functioning brain cells than me :confused1: