PDA

View Full Version : Reminds me of SAW racing

BILL OXIDEAN
01-03-2010, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezl8Yb8idyY&feature=related

Chop
01-03-2010, 11:09 AM
That was pretty cool. It gives me an idea...

sailr
01-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey Bill. Get a turbine and go for 300+ with an R/C version!

BILL OXIDEAN
01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
That was pretty cool. It gives me an idea...

Are YOU thinking what I'M thinking???? :banana::spy::w00t::rockon2:

BILL OXIDEAN
01-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey Bill. Get a turbine and go for 300+ with an R/C version!

Strap a D sized model rocket engine on one of your riggers and go for the moon!!! LoL

Jeff Wohlt
01-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Ken came to our Lake Ozark Shootout a couple times now. Running a big turbine V hull. They had him inthe announcer booth and he was very interesteing to listen to. I have his runs on video....if I remember he ran a 50' turnbine at around 147mph

Chop
01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Strap a D sized model rocket engine on one of your riggers and go for the moon!!! LoL

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

egneg
01-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I never got around to trying it but I did research this a few years ago. You need to be moving and on plane when the rocket ignites and hopefully it is centered well enough to keep the boat on the water. The Estes do not last long enough and it was suggested to try these engines.

http://www.jetex.org.uk/

BILL OXIDEAN
01-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Ken came to our Lake Ozark Shootout a couple times now. Running a big turbine V hull. They had him inthe announcer booth and he was very interesteing to listen to. I have his runs on video....if I remember he ran a 50' turnbine at around 147mph

Was this rc or real boats?

Gerwin Brommer
01-04-2010, 11:16 AM
should a boat be propelled by a PROP, to make a valid saw run ?

NativePaul
01-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Reminds me of SAW racing
That might be because it is SAW racing, SAW racing with balls.

Was this rc or real boats?
If I built the 147mph fifty foot turbine powered deepV that jeff desribed I sure would want to be sitting in it for the ride, and you'd need one hell of a radio to control it from the bank, the Lake Ozark Shootout is the biggest regular full size SAW race I know of.

should a boat be propelled by a PROP, to make a valid saw run ?
Naviga don't do SAW racing so there are no international rules but certainly in the UK all RC boat speed records are for boats driven by a water prop and having seen the class lists in the USofA, Germany and Austria on the net I believe that is the case in those countries as well. In the UK and much of Europe we do have tethered hydro racing which is a kind of round the pole SAW racing, and class B is for .15ci airscrew driven hydros, we have nothing for model turbines on water, local rules elsewhere may differ.