PDA

View Full Version : MR3000 Marine 2.4GHz

vvviivvv
12-31-2009, 08:34 PM
OK, it has two antenna's, i have a fully carbon fiber hull - do i need two antenna's mounted on the boat? i planned on using the catpower (i think thats its name...) antenna which is the antenna pictured, do i need to install two of these or will one of the antenna's chopped and attached too one of the receiver antenna's be ok? this is my first 2.4 set up... its fully isolated from the cf

happy new year!

Xzessperated
12-31-2009, 09:28 PM
I have a similar problem on an all CF hull.
The picture below (taken from the manual) tells you to put one antenna vertical and one horizontal. Vertical is easy but horizontal on the deck is not a good look unless you can think of a way to hide it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4232777218_c207f54215_o.jpg

If you can think of a good way to hide the horizontal one please let me know. For the moment I am just putting it under some hatch tape.

Flying Scotsman
12-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Paddy has it right, from the manual. Carbon fibre is a problem, send a pm to Andy Kuntz he will steer in you the right direction.

Douggie

ozzie-crawl
01-01-2010, 01:35 AM
OK, it has two antenna's, i have a fully carbon fiber hull - do i need two antenna's mounted on the boat? i planned on using the catpower (i think thats its name...) antenna which is the antenna pictured, do i need to install two of these or will one of the antenna's chopped and attached too one of the receiver antenna's be ok? this is my first 2.4 set up... its fully isolated from the cf

happy new year!

what ever you do dont cut the wires to attach to a separate Ariel,the mr3000 has a coaxial Ariel,only the last 30mm of clear like tube is the Ariel,the rest of the wire is just to allow for getting the end out of the hull and high as possible
andy will know more but use the longer Ariel to go out of the hull and vertical the second lays horizontal in the hull.
i use one of these and there fantastic.

vvviivvv
01-01-2010, 05:17 AM
so do i just sick the last 30mm out of the hull and do away with the black antenna :cursing: or do i attach it to the bottom of the 30cm antenna i have? i could live with taping the second one to the hatch i have some hatch tape the exact color of the hull and does it have to be perfectly horizontal ?

Xzessperated
01-01-2010, 07:15 AM
so do i just sick the last 30mm out of the hull and do away with the black antenna :cursing: or do i attach it to the bottom of the 30cm antenna i have? i could live with taping the second one to the hatch i have some hatch tape the exact color of the hull and does it have to be perfectly horizontal ?

This is the boat I have to install the receiver on. You can see the clear flexible antenna tube on it. I will cut that shorter and feed my vertical antenna up the inside of that. I would like to clear the very top part of the boat by about 2 inches so that the receiver antenna can always see the transmitter antenna. I hope that helps.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2641/4130090492_b3795ff471_o.jpg

vvviivvv
01-01-2010, 07:29 AM
I think 40 is looking more appealing and Easier would have been nice to go 2.4 maybe in the future

Darin Jordan
01-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Guys... Here's the deal...

On these RXs, the actual antenna is the last 1" or so of the wire... this is NOT just wire, it's coaxial cable. The "stripped" part at the end (silver part) is the actual antenna portion. The rest is just for length to get it up and out of the hull.

The Primary antenna needs to be routed up and out of the hull through a tube. The secondary antenna should be routed INSIDE the hull or radio box, as close to the fashion they show in the instructions as possible (horizontal)...

On all of mine, I usually just leave the secondary antenna laying in the boat and route it the best I can. The main antenna is the really important one, which is why it's so long.

With the SMALL size of this RX, I also usually mount it as near the antenna exit hole as possible, often putting it upside down up under the deck of the boat so I can get the antenna up as high as possible.

Hope this helps some.

vvviivvv
01-01-2010, 01:08 PM
so would you just leave the second antenna inside the hull even if its a full carbon fiber hull and the reception might be poor?

Darin Jordan
01-01-2010, 01:27 PM
so would you just leave the second antenna inside the hull even if its a full carbon fiber hull and the reception might be poor?

I would just leave the secondary antenna inside the hull, get the primary up and out as far as possible, and test it. IF reception is poor, which I don't think is going to be the case, I then might see if there is a way to get it up out of the hull.

I haven't had a boat yet that needed the secondary antenna outside of the hull, and I've tested these out to over 1000ft without issue. I'm not suggesting that you run out that far, as you can't even see the boat, but it has been done.

Please let us know what you find out. My guess is that you'll be fine.

vvviivvv
01-01-2010, 02:05 PM
ok thanks ill see what i can do if all doesnt go to plan i can just use it in my rc cars...

AndyKunz
01-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Go with Darin's post.

You can put the second antenna outside the boat, too. There's no rule that it has to be inside, it's just easier that way. You want them separated by about 150mm or more if you can do it for maximum benefits of the antenna diversity.

Mounting them at right angles to one another is best also, as Darin said. You could put 75mm antenna tubes like "rabbit ears" on your boat and it would still be a huge drag savings over the one huge tube you have there. The second doesn't even have to be horizontal.

Andy

vvviivvv
01-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Go with Darin's post.

You can put the second antenna outside the boat, too. There's no rule that it has to be inside, it's just easier that way. You want them separated by about 150mm or more if you can do it for maximum benefits of the antenna diversity.

Mounting them at right angles to one another is best also, as Darin said. You could put 75mm antenna tubes like "rabbit ears" on your boat and it would still be a huge drag savings over the one huge tube you have there. The second doesn't even have to be horizontal.

Andy

do you mean the two ends i want to separate by 150mm? so say i was to have the primary antenna exiting the hull where i planned on mounting the black antenna by about 3 inches inside a antenna tube such as this once http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/873339.asp then could i squeeze the secondary between the back of the hatch and hull which has foam around it and just stick it to the top of the hull on the 'bubble' area which is the drivers cockpit? ill tape its entire length to keep it from flapping around...

AndyKunz
01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Yes, the ends. The rest is not antenna - it's just a lead that ends with the last 30mm or so as antenna.

That setup you describe would work fine. I use the same thing myself.

Andy

vvviivvv
01-01-2010, 04:49 PM
OK, thanks.