PDA

View Full Version : Lipo config for a stock Fastech

BHChieftain
12-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi,
Thinking about trying lipos on a stock fastech, and I'm a bit confused on the configurations...

The way I figure it, the stock wiring is serial, so if I get 2 x 2S1P packs I end up with effectively a 4S1P pack at 14.8V / 20A.

1) about how much run time would I expect with this config?

2) how could I arrange a 4S2P configuration for extended runtime? Would this be safe to do on the stock ESC? (should be 40A, right?). Would I need to change the wiring on the fasteck to accomplish this or is there a nifty connector to use?

-Chief

egneg
12-30-2009, 04:54 PM
I would stick with 4S1P as 4S2P adds a lot of weight to a hull that size and I don't think run times would be that much different for the added cost.

BHChieftain
12-31-2009, 12:30 AM
Would I see more or less runtime with Lipo vs. Nimh, assuming same mah rating? (assume 2S1P x 2 )

On one hand, there is more voltage out of the lipo which would tell me the runtime would be less than Nimn (but faster speed), but on the other hand, the batteries are lighter, so less mass to move around...

-Chief

LiPo Power
12-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Would I see more or less runtime with Lipo vs. Nimh, assuming same mah rating? (assume 2S1P x 2 )

On one hand, there is more voltage out of the lipo which would tell me the runtime would be less than Nimn (but faster speed), but on the other hand, the batteries are lighter, so less mass to move around...

-Chief

Make sure to use this to reprogramm your ESC for LiPo power:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-prb3311
LiPo = more power, more speed, more fun!!!!
Time of running depending on Mah of your batteries. I was allways using 5000Mah x 2:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9172&Product_Name=Turnigy_5000mAh_2S_20C_Lipo_Pack
with no problems on stock configuration and was able to get 4-6 minutes. Your cut off will let you know your max time you can get on your batteries. Just make sure not to run out your batts every time all the way down to activate cutt off. Bring the boat in just before its time for it.

BHChieftain
12-31-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm getting about 7min on 4200 NiMH (x2), so it sounds like the extra voltage (and speed) will tax the runtimes a little...

I'm on the fence on either plunking down a little for a second set of NiMH, or plunking down a LOT for 2 sets of Lipos plus a new charger...

-Chief

LiPo Power
01-01-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm getting about 7min on 4200 NiMH (x2), so it sounds like the extra voltage (and speed) will tax the runtimes a little...

I'm on the fence on either plunking down a little for a second set of NiMH, or plunking down a LOT for 2 sets of Lipos plus a new charger...

-Chief

Get LiPo's, charger and programm card....