PDA

View Full Version : Soaked batteries-- ok to reuse?

BHChieftain
12-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I've got a couple of nihm packs that were completely under water for about 3 hours. Is it a good idea to try to recharge them to see if they can still work or should I just toss 'em?

-Chief

BILL OXIDEAN
12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Absolutely give 'em a try in fact, don't give up until after a coupla' cycles if they act funny they may come back after a couple of cycles.

Steven Vaccaro
12-30-2009, 07:05 AM
One thing to watch is the vents, nimh cells have safety vents. The vents are there so if the cells need to vent the gas, they let it out quick. These vent could now be a problem area.

ozzie-crawl
12-30-2009, 08:51 AM
my first FE boat (tunnel hull) sank in a pond,it was in 20 feet of water for 8 days
lucky it was fresh water,it had two matched nimh packs in it the only thing i lost was the servo,everything else was okay after a good dry

BHChieftain
12-30-2009, 11:38 AM
One thing to watch is the vents, nimh cells have safety vents. The vents are there so if the cells need to vent the gas, they let it out quick. These vent could now be a problem area.

I cut open the shrink wrap to let them breathe better (and to help evaporate the water).

One of the packs just charged to 50% on a 0.8A trickle... hoping it will improve after a few cycles...

-Chief

lucozader
12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
i had a lipo underwater for 30 minutes

i dried it out

it wouldn't charge

then gave it a 12 volt zap for a few seconds

then i put it on a slow charge and it's as new for months now

only the label is a little water stained

BILL OXIDEAN
12-30-2009, 12:54 PM

i dried it out

it wouldn't charge

i forgot all about that little trick! Thanx!
I'm rjuvenating a sunken lipo pack as we speak,I'll post results. I'm forcing power into it on a Nimh charger

BILL OXIDEAN
12-30-2009, 01:03 PM
OK just tried out my sunken cells, one pack is still fine! the other lost a cell, but this thread made me try it! Now I still have one KILLER pack!

ozzie-crawl
12-30-2009, 07:09 PM

i dried it out

it wouldn't charge

have done that many atime with nimh didnt know if it would work with lipo :banana:
probably a good idea to warn people be very careful if trying it out

BHChieftain
12-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Update on my soaked proboat nimh packs--

I cut the shrinkwrap open and let them dry out, they both took a full charge-- just got back from a great run.

I used glad press and seal wrap and a bit of electrical tape to seal up the batteries while they were in the boat-- then I take it off and let em' air out when I'm done.

Note, I had purchased 5000mah venom packs the other day-- one pack would not take more than 30% charge (even at 0.8A charge), and the other one completely overheated during the first discharge and blew the vents-- split open the shrink wrap and all...

anybody else have problems with venom nimh packs?

-Chief

Jeepers
12-30-2009, 08:38 PM
from what I have read on here lots of people have said Venom NiMh batteries SUCK!

Rumdog
12-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Venom batteries do SUCK!

ozzie-crawl
12-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Venom batteries do SUCK!

think thats the general senses.
i have seen venom packs here in lhs $270 for a 2s 5000 pack :eek:
thats some serious $$$ for such crap batts

Flying Scotsman
01-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Chief, I hate to say it but get feedback from this forum on batteries, before you spend some coin...Venom baterries are cheap junk to run in a boat.

Douggie