PDA

View Full Version : Scale like OB motor cover

T.C.
12-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Anyone know if they are available at a reasonable price for the ul type motor?
T.C.

Jeff Wohlt
12-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Well I am working on an outboard cover that will go around the strut making it appear to be a big merc outboard. These will be vac formed and then put together and painted. The main issue is mounting it to hold up to flips. Foam will be inside of it so they will not sink.

T.C.
12-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Kool!
got any pictures,prices, samples ? LOL
Will they fit all lower units?
T.C.

Jeff Wohlt
12-29-2009, 11:05 AM
My goal was to be able to fit the strut only on std setups but certainly I should be able to amke them for the OB lower unit & motors as well.

Jeff Wohlt
12-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Any of these look cool to you?

Doby
12-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Yup!

Team FFRB
12-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Well I am working on an outboard cover that will go around the strut making it appear to be a big merc outboard. These will be vac formed and then put together and painted. The main issue is mounting it to hold up to flips. Foam will be inside of it so they will not sink.

Jeff,

When will these Merc covers be ready for purchase?????

gto0209
12-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Id be down for a couple, those look buff!

Jeff Wohlt
12-29-2009, 05:18 PM
I am about to make some plugs. Not sure what version I will do. I could make them in FG but I really think Vac molded will be fine. I do not want them to cost much. The main work is getting a decent mounting configuration.

I mainly wanted to make them for the struts to make them look like OB but then I got to thinking about the LU that OSE sells and thought it may be a neat deal.

For that one I would need a lower unit and be able to mount a motor and cooling jacket for fit.

Maybe I can talk Steve in to sending me one and then he can also offer them.

T.C.
12-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Those are really nice, they all look KOOL.
Are any of these going to fit the OS and REK type ?
T.C.

Jeff Wohlt
12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
That is what I am working on. Not sure I can offer them for every lower Unit but we will see how the first go. I like OSEs new one he selling. Probably one of the better units out there.

It will be a bit as I have to get geared up. I suspect they will be painted and ready to install. With Merc decals and all. As close to the pictures I can get.

sailr
12-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Jeff, are those real prototypes or "Photo shop" pics? Just asking because you say you still need to make a plug.

If they are like the pics, they will be outstanding!

Getting ABS vacuum formed ones to hold up to violent flips will be a real trick though.

Jeff Wohlt
12-29-2009, 10:36 PM
No, those are just pics of some real mercs to use for my sketches

The mount has to be decent but now I wonder if tear off versions are better. Velcroed on and they float when ripped off...LOL

I love the race version of the merc the most but not sure we need an exhaust hole like that...would look sweet.

I can make them float but up to you to retreive them :)

ozzie-crawl
12-29-2009, 11:22 PM
if the foam was molded in side the cover it would make it stronger and the foam could be used to hold the cover on to the motor,fit it on like a sock.
a small tether cord could be fixed from motor to cover incase it comes off.
just acouple of thoughts:hide:

sailr
12-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Great project Jeff. Best of luck with it and keep us informed.

SJFE
12-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Jeff if you get them into production and need the merc graphics I may be able to help.

Jeff Wohlt
12-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the ideas. Yes, the graphics will be important.

I certainly am including foam. Yes, a small safety chain or line would be cool.

I also found a new local CNC guy. This could be the ticket to perfectness!