PDA

View Full Version : Flex shaft rust

bwells
12-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Grabbed a boat that I have not run in 3 months and went to lube the flex and noticed rust for the rear 2 inches. It was not thick but you could see it so I lubed it up. I always lube my shafts before a run but after a run have never done anything but wipe the hull to get rid of the water spots. I now will lube the shaft after runs and then thought about the cooling system. Blew air though it and and got some dirty water out of it. I will now lube the shaft after every run when storing and clean the cooling system as well. Have not checked my brushless water jackets for stuff build up but assume these maybe harder to clean. Brian

andym
12-29-2009, 01:17 AM
It is always good to remove , dry and lube your shaft after use, I leave mine out of the boat till it is time to go to the lake again. I also push compressed air at a low pressure through the cooling system and give it a quick spray of WD40.
Cheers

bwells
12-29-2009, 02:00 AM
I like your idea of WD40. Good point and I can see it's use in this application but I'm wondering about your Avatar, You do have a nice a$$

Jeff Wohlt
12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
And here is the worst news...they rust from inside out.

bwells
12-29-2009, 09:59 PM
uhh ohh! I will definately lube my shafts after use and before storage. Hope this shaft is not to far along! Thanks for the info