PDA

View Full Version : BJ26 Motor is a whining stink

tiqueman
12-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Hey all, hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.

My neighbors wife got him a little boat for the pond out back, nothing special.. a walking speed boat, and saw me outside and asked me to bring out one of my boats to shows his inlaws. I ran my 32" cat w/ the BJ26 motor in it. I got about 45 seconds into running and it began to develop a whining sound. I brought it in and as it got 10 feet or so from me it stopped. Then it would work with occasional spurts. I pulled the lid and hit the throttle a few times and a very loud squeaky whine as a bearing went bad came from within. I hit the temp sensor on everything and all was under 85 degrees, however smoke came out of the hull when I removed the hatch, not much, but a little poof. And it had a stinch to it.

So my question is, how do you get a BJ26 motor apart to replace the bearings. Are the endbells just pressed in? OR is it even worth going into... ????

Should I just can it and go w/ a Fiegao XL or something. I need to keep this repair as inexpensive as possible.

Thanks for any info,
Scott

sailr
12-26-2009, 09:47 AM
throw it away and buy another one.

tiqueman
12-26-2009, 09:53 AM
LOL thanks Jim. Another BJ or something else? Is that motor is a bit small for a 32" hull?

sailr
12-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I prefer the Aquacraft UL-1 motor myself or even the superV motor. They both have a higher KV than the proboat.

Fluid
12-26-2009, 11:17 AM
The BJ motor is higher quality than the other two, so it costs a bit more. Its Kv is virtually the same as the SV27 motor, but considerably lower than the UL-1. The UL-1 needs to spin up fast to produce decent power at lower temps, so a smaller prop is required.

I ran both the UL-1 and the BJ26 motors in my 27" cat, and got virtually the same speeds (40 mph) with each. I needed an m440 with the UL-1 and an m545 with the BJ26. The larger prop will push a larger 32" cat better, although both setups will work.

You need to oil the bearings of all BL motors regularly or you will burn them up. A drop of quality oil before each day of running should be enough. An occasional drop of oil is a lot cheaper than buying new motors - although all bearings have a finite lifetime.

properchopper
12-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Sounds more like a bad rotor more than the bearings. This has happened to me with several UL-1 motors [mostly my fault]. Assuming that you're running a 4S setup, a good motor would be a 9XL but you'll need a a compatible speed control -
at least 100 amps. The BJ's are good motors but might be a tad small to get a 32" cat going really fast.

tiqueman
12-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Ive accomplished some things and in doing so.... Im giving myself an award. Quick history, I used to belong to a car club w/ my 65 mustang... we had an award we would pass around... it was the back end of a donkey. We called it the "half fast" award. I wish I had it to give to myself....

Heres what I got going on. Last night, I put several drops of 3 and 1 oil on both ends of the motor. I spun it with a drill to help to get the oil to penetrate... oh first I sprayed the engine w/ electrical cleaner. Anyway, Immediately the noise went away. I oiled it yet again this morning and re-installed it into the boat. Several dry tests later, I went to the water. I threw it in, hit the throttle, 1 foot of acceleration and then nothing... BUT, this time I noticed my rudder stopped responding as well.... Folks... sometimes Im an idiot.... my bec batt was down to 3.4, the receiver was in fail safe....:doh:

So, an hour later, boat turned a full pull on 4S, smooth and quiet as could be, Hottest temp at ESC at 101F, motor was 98, batts 94 and 95.

And now I know to regulary oil the bearings. Thank you! Im not sure how long it will last, weather its a temp fix or what, but Im glad I got to run it today.

tiqueman
12-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Oh and Propchopper, I was contemplating the 9XL or 8XL. Im currently running an Eti 150 ESC and at some point, hopefully in the near future am doing a twin build that Im considering the 8XLs in.. so I was leaning more towards the 8 just for the fact Id be one motor closer for my upcoming build. Also, cant remember the members name, but the HOTR thats running an 8XL on 4S, that was trialed on 6S and broke 60.. sounds pretty sweet for a "once and a while" crowd pleaser.