PDA

View Full Version : quick question for a newbe...

ls1fst98
12-22-2009, 02:39 PM
i currently have a super v 27 that i love. it has given me hours of fun. im looking to step up and love the large cats with duel brushless setups. i was thinking about going with the mhz line and getting this hull http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/Details.aspx?ProductCode=m-1764/M&store=mhzusa only because it holds a fond memory from when i was a teenager and my dad and i sponsored an offshore raceboat of the same time.

only thing i dont know is what size brushless motors to run and on how many cells or what esc to go with. i was thinking of a 580 motor with a lower kv rating and higher lipo cell count. any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

Josh

Simon.O.
12-23-2009, 01:16 AM
At 42" that is a big cat. Well out of my game.
Shoot to the boat-building section and have a look about at 40"+ cats to see what they are running.
A 580 is an option as a single.
A pair of XL's would rock as a twin drive.

Either way this is not going to be a cheap hull to power.
You need to be prepared to go up to 4 figures to power this size hull, that is power and drive line.
Hull is what you pay from MHZ
For a radio, make sure you have FM as a minimum but given the low cost of 2.4G these days, I suggest you go 2.4G

Flying Scotsman
12-23-2009, 02:21 AM
As Simon stated that is is a big boat, what is your budget, speed expectations and you will need lots of cash to run a hull of that size, as a minimum you will spend $2,000 and that is not knowing what equipment you already have.

Douggie

westbeach
12-23-2009, 03:19 AM
are you thinking twin setup or single, single would be easier on the pocket books. Only downside is not so scale looking. But to each his own as long as you get to enjoy running the cat around. What do you think?

ls1fst98
12-23-2009, 07:25 AM
I was wanting twins. as far as peed i wasnt looking to go go 90 mph, more like the 45-55mph range. i was gong to buy the hull first, then piece it together over a few months or when i get my tax return.

as far as what i have only thing really usable on this hull i do have is a 2.4ghz radio system that i use on my sv and i have lipos and what not from other models but id have to buy larger packs im sure.

sailr
12-23-2009, 09:28 AM
For a first boat build, this is taking on quite a task. Setting up a twin is not the easiest project even if you have bottomless pockets. I wish you well and applaude your ambition!

ls1fst98
12-23-2009, 02:12 PM
ive built a nitro boat and a gas hydro before. so its not technically my first boat build. i just no longer have them and the only electric i have had is the sv27.

ls1fst98
12-23-2009, 07:15 PM
maybe ill start smaller hten and work my way up. i like the new scat cat that is being shown here from BBY. run a twin setup in that first to get my feet wet in twin cats.

that hull with twin 540 9l's and (2) 2s 5000mah 20c lipos per motor. is this a better stepping stone up to this hull in the future?