PDA

View Full Version : An "Almost" crash that still has me shaking !

properchopper
12-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Yesterday at the lake I was running my DF 33 & play-racing a friend's gas mono. At the same time, Ron Buck, a well known engine builder & racer was cutting 70 + mph laps with his new Whiplash 40 gasser. On the front straight at full chat I caught a hole & submarined. Ron's Whip was now heading at full speed right at the spot where the DF disappeared. I was on the upper driver's stand and yelled "watch out" to Ron who was at the water's edge. He of course had no idea what to watch out for. Just as the Whip flew by, the DF surfaced like a Polaris missle & the Whip missed it by a few feet- THANKFULLY !
I'm still shaking & my shorts are now comfortably soaking in some strong laundry detergent :doh:

Chilli
12-21-2009, 09:51 AM
See, If you lived on the east coast, you would of been shoveling snow instead of getting into trouble.:olleyes: Glad it worked out for you. Did the DF survive the stuffing without damage?

properchopper
12-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I moved to Cali from N.Y. in the sixties. A lot warmer here ! Did shovel some "snow" during the Disco era 'tho. :cool:
DF's just fine, thank you - just waiting for my bowels to settle down :eek:

detox
12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Pucker factor?

properchopper
12-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Pucker factor?

Yup. When I got home I had to rock gently to break the suction to get out of my car !:roflol:

Jeepers
12-21-2009, 10:38 AM
LOL! at least everything survived all right:rofl::rofl:

( iam talking about the upholstery in your car):tt2:

mikesf
12-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Go now, well now in Greece is 18:30:smile:, and play the lottery. Once you "shovel" the dirt with your shovel unharmed, twice you survive your "Captain Nemo" ram, three times hope a heck of a lucky slip away again...

Go play the lottery man...

westbeach
12-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Now where was your cameraman while all this was taking place? It would have a sight to see for sure. How long did your DF play submarine?

properchopper
12-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Now where was your cameraman while all this was taking place? It would have a sight to see for sure. How long did your DF play submarine?

Mr. UB was home with his lovely family [ he has an actual life outside of FE !]

The DF stayed down @ 2-3 seconds. The DF hull has a low-to-the-waterline (in the nose) hull; prone to this type of behavior in racewater. The 32" Cyberstorm and the 31" Rico are less likely to experience this due to the nose curving up more. Next P-mono I build will be one of those.

SJFE
12-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for ya props...:smile:

properchopper
12-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for ya props...:smile:

Awesome to see 'Ya back. Welcome Home, Bro !!

SJFE
12-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks man. I'm taking my time getting back into another boat. I'm only going to have one so the right buy is going to be the key here:smile:.

Jeepers
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
glad to see you back SJFE! hows your family doing?

RaceMechaniX
12-21-2009, 05:40 PM
So Tony,

First good to hear Buck did not spear your P-mono. Second was he running a whip sport 40 with a gas motor or a regular whip?

Tyler

properchopper
12-21-2009, 06:18 PM
So Tony,

First good to hear Buck did not spear your P-mono. Second was he running a whip sport 40 with a gas motor or a regular whip?

Tyler

Tyler, Ron was running a sport 40 gasser, his regular whip was likely in his bedroom/dungeon.:w00t:

RaceMechaniX
12-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks Tony,

That is a lot of motor in a little boat.

Tyler

properchopper
12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks Tony,

That is a lot of motor in a little boat.

Tyler

Tyler, am I misunderstanding your question ? His Whip is the big one, just like yours. starts with a pull-cord. Edit :[ I didn't realize that there's a Sport 40 AND a Sport 40 Hydro - just looked at the Blazer site - Ron's is a Sport 40 hydro ]

RaceMechaniX
12-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Tony,

I think you still have them mixed up. A "sport 40" is about 36" in length and is normally powered by a "40" size nitro motor or equivelent FE set-up. The "gas" whiplash is about 44". That is probably the one you are thinking of. There is also a sport 20 which Brian makes.

I have two Gas whiplashes which you have seen and a nitro whip sport 40 too, but I don' think you have seen that one.

I was only curious because several people have talked about shoehorning a gas motor into a sport 40 size boat (think of putting Mark Ferrara's T mono power in a 36" mono) which might be a rocket or a diaster.

TG

properchopper
12-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Yup, a gas 40 it is !! Sorry for the cornfusion :crying: