PDA

View Full Version : Can't access transom

boater76
04-10-2007, 02:06 PM
I got my Super Hawaii copy today. I didn't do a comeplete and thorough lookover yet. I noticed something though. I can't access the transom from inside the hull. The interior is part of the top deck. The only way I could access it, is either cut the interior where the servo is supposed to sit and esc to access it or try to remove the entire deck/interior portion which looks to be glued. I was planning on putting an octura rudder and strut on.

Ken:confused:

Steven Vaccaro
04-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Sounds like you are going to have to cut it and rebrace that area.

boater76
04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
What would I use to beef up the transom? I figure I would use epoxy to glue whatever it is I have to put in.

Ken

DuckOfDeth
04-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Boater,

When I doubled up the transom on my Purple Light (SH knock-off), I used a 'Beware of Dog' sign that I got at the local home depot store. I then used an ABS cement to attach it, which can be found in the plumbing section (or my shop, if you live here).
I actually put two layers on, so that I felt safe attaching the Speedmaster's hardware. Didn't really want to see $95 sink to the bottom of the pond. Haven't had any problems, and all mounting screws have stayed intact.

Duck

boater76
04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Did you change the outdrive to a rudder and strut or leave it as is? And did you put the servo in the same spot before you cut the back out to get to the transom?

SJFE
04-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Boater I have some carbon fiber left over if you are interested. PM me and we can talk.

DuckOfDeth
04-10-2007, 06:00 PM
I used the Speedmaster's Hardware from OSE. I believe it is the one pictured at the bottom of the page of hardware on the OSE website. It has worked very well, and provides good control of the large hull.

The Purple Light has a different set-up in the interior than the Super Hawaii does, however, my friend has a Super Hawaii, that he used the same set-up on.

On his, he simply removed the entire tray, and then epoxied another one in its place after he beefed up his transom. The first picture shows where he moved his motor forward. The other two pics are a before and after of mine. I used the same location for the servo as where it originally started, as did my friend.

Duck

SJFE
04-10-2007, 06:06 PM
The knock off don't have a rear hatch??????

DuckOfDeth
04-10-2007, 06:13 PM
It does, but it is a detachable electronics tray, so access was easier to my transom, than on the SH. I actually put one ply on the outside of the transom, and the other on the inside. My boat was white, and going to be painted, unlike the beautiful bright orange that is the Super Hawaii.

Duck

DuckOfDeth
04-10-2007, 06:20 PM
well craponastick, I just re-read the very first post and know, magically, realize that you have the knock-off version, and not the actual SH.

I'll find the cd with all the pics on it and post some more for you. As far as the motor is concerned on the knock-off, it sits just about where it should.

I have a DeWalt drill motor in it now, but was running a 700SS1 in it.

Duck

boater76
04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Ok thanks. Pics of your knock off would help me out a little bit. Did you beef up the transom on your knock off? Do you have the same drive shaft or is it different from what it came with?

Ken

boater76
04-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Do you have the stock speed control or a different one in the knock off?

Ken

DuckOfDeth
04-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I have the Jeti 600 Navy from OSE. Burned up a motor or two by over-propping, but never any problems with the ESC.

Duck

boater76
04-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Got those pics of your boat yet? Also did you change out the stock drive shaft? If you did what did you use?

Ken

DuckOfDeth
04-11-2007, 10:48 AM
When I bought the Speedmaster's hardware, I got the.130 flex shaft with it. I'll post some pics tonite when I get home.

Duck

boater76
04-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Did you happen to find those pics? Thanks.

Ken

DuckOfDeth
04-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Sorry Ken,

Reallife got in the way of me having any fun last night. I will look for the pics tonight and try to get them posted.

Duck

boater76
04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Ah no problem. I know how that goes. Thanks for getting back.

Ken

DuckOfDeth
04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Ken,
Here are a few shots of the transom. These are prior to doing any work. Stock crap motor. Stock ball & cup drive assembly. Stock on/off mechanical speed control.

I was really excited when I first got it, because it would outrun my buddies lil Nikko POS. It didn't take long before I knew that I had to make it faster.

At the time, I was corresponding with a gentleman in Sweden, on how or if I could make this 3 1/2 foot barge go any faster. He led me through the makeover, and without his earnest advice, I would have given up on the hobby altogether.

Regardless, I started by completely removing the hardware, and storing it away, forever, where it belonged, in the portable storage unit better known as...the dumpster. I felt that it had no redeeming value. I did save all of the screws, bolts, nuts , washers, and other various bits of hardware, as I have always been a pack-rat in that manner. You will probably need a screw here, or a nut there, at some time in your life.

Duck

DuckOfDeth
04-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Ken,

After I removed the hardware, I basically, by standing the boat on end, traced the outline of the transom onto a "Beware of the Dog' sign, that I got at home depot. I cut out the pattern. Cleaned up both the transom and the blank, applied some PVC primer/cleaner, and then put on a nice light coat of ABS Cement on each peice.

ABS Cement is relatively quick to attach itself to any other like minded material. It won't glue well to metal. nor will it bind with wood in a satisfactory manner. However, when mated to another peice of plastic (or your wife's new tablecoth), it binds, sets, and hardens, in minutes. With this in mind, be prepared to set it in place and be ready to hold it down for a mnute or so. I used a short block of 2x4 to ensure that it was on flat and that ther were no air pockets.

I then used a Dremel-like tool, that my father purchased from the Sear's and Roebuck Company some years ago, called a Lil Crafty, to attempt to clean up the edges, with an epoxy, and to clean out the portion where the drive line would exit the hull. I used the original hole in the transom as my guide.

Duck

boater76
04-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you have pics of the inside of yours. I already took off alot of the junk I wasnt going to use including the outdrive and micro switch and other odd and ends. Im gonna ebay the outdrive. I am putting an Octura Strut and rudder on it.

Ken

DuckOfDeth
04-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Ken,

After completing the exterior transom makeover, I simply cut a rectangular piece of the sign, that I could slip into place, that would provide a little more 'beef' for the future hardware fasteners. I had to cut a few access holes to be able to get to some nuts.

The servo remained in the same location, and I was able to place the rudder off-center to the right (looking from the rear).

I had purchased the SpeedMaster's hardware set-up at OSE, including the .130 flex shaft. Using machine screws, washers, and nuts, I attached the strut to the transom. I snugged up the screws and epoxied in the stuffing tube, making sure that it was in alignment with the strut.

Duck

DuckOfDeth
04-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Ken,

I then installed the rudder assembly to line up with the servo.

As for the interior, I had to get a better motor mount system to accomodate the 700. After I had the motor positioned, I slid the flex cable through and lined up the coupler. I cut the cable to length, and then soldered the end of the cable shaft, to make sure it did not collapse under the pressure of two set screws.
I used two of the original motor mount holes to mount the motor mounts on. (how many times did I say 'mount' in that sentence?)

Duck

LJH
04-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Nice work....I just retrofitted a Cesa a few weeks ago. I am suprised how diffrent the knock off is from the original, though I think you are better off putting the motor where you did, I cannot get my CG right without adding weight to the bow, as my motor is all of 4" from the transom. When I did my install I used the back plate of the gearbox as reinforcment and then used some 3/32" G10 board to make another plate so that the Hardware bolts had somemore support, except for crashing the boat and having to rebuilt the transom where it cracked the stransome is very stiff. I have to say that having a SC700 and good hardware totally changed the boat, it has been totally reliable and pretty quick. I did learn something last week, when I crashed the boat. Do not use a lot of negative trim and have the strut all the way down. I was running it and it was very lose, then got hit by a little puff of breeze and the boat lost it and ended up on the beach. Cracked the transom and broke the solder joint on the rudder blade too the rudder post.

Cheers,
Jim

SJFE
04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Nice work Man..Can't wait to see some video.

DuckOfDeth
04-13-2007, 02:38 PM
here's a video from after the work was complete. 14 cells and 445 prop.

Duck
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w290/duckofdeth/?action=view&current=CrapWagon-TheNewBeginning.flv

boater76
04-13-2007, 02:47 PM
When you use a flex shaft are you suppose to use a rigid stuffing tube? If so what size tube did you use?

Ken

DuckOfDeth
04-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Ken,

Not sure on the size of the stuffing tube, as it came with the hardware.

Duck

Rex R
04-13-2007, 06:39 PM
methinks that if you use a teflon(tm) liner you would need a piece of 9/32 brass tube for the rigid tube, however I'm not sure of that. what I would do however is take the liner with me down to whichever store that carries 'K & S' tubing and find the size that the liner will only just fit into.
rex

boater76
05-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Alright, im either going to do 1 of 2 things. Im going to cut access to the transom from the interior and put plywood in it or use something on the outside. If I used plywood should I use 1/8 or 1/4 inch? If I choose to strengthen the outside what should I use?

Ken