PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Glass and Epoxy or JB Weld ???

LiPo Power
12-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Please post your opinion....
Robert

Fruity
12-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I use Fibreglass for everything, it's heavier, but from my experence, nice and strong. I use chopped strand matt & resin. If I need a thicker glue, I use resin & talcum powder to thicken it, works a treat.

Cheers....Tim.:beerchug:

NitroVal
12-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Whats the application? I use each for different tasks. If I have a big gap to fill, I use fiberglass. If I need some flexibility, I use JB Weld. JB Weld is more dense that fiberglass. I'd be curious to know which would have a stronger tensile strength though.

Arctic Fire
12-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Tensile Fiberglass, shear JB weld...

Pulling vs. Shearing. We might not be as interested in tensile as it is a longitudinal test. The forces that our boats are more likely to encounter come from impact, in which case shear is the more important factor. HOWEVER, Fiberglass retains flexibility which can help absorb the force, but thats a different thing all together.

The JB would also have a lower yield strength, and would have a quick brittle failure. Fiberglass has a higher yield strength, allowing it to deform elastically and return to original state. (it bends)

My thoughts would be Fiberglass for sectional work, JB for smaller "hole filling" or crack sealing.. elastic materials in cracks are not the answer

LiPo Power
12-20-2009, 03:08 PM
What about motor mounting ( metal or wood ) or aluminum servo mount?
Fiberglass or JB weld?
I see on many of your pictures that both are beeing used and personally think fiberglass looks clean, very clean.
It is visable on your pictures that many of you are using JB weld to install brass tube in the hull. Why not fiberglass for clean look?
Robert

properchopper
12-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Robert, I've used Quick Set JB for shaft and motor mounts. Made a little "dam" from square wood & it comes out quite clean looking. I've seen o-rings used for the stuffing shaft "dam" as well. :smile:

Jeepers
12-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Epoxy and fiberglass is all that I use,

I have had POOR results with JB Weld I don't know why, but every time I blew over a hull, something came loose in side. so I quit using it.

FloatDaBoat
12-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Loctite 50 minute Marine Epoxy doesn’t require a ‘dam’ to be used as is the case with JB Weld. It’s very viscose, & pretty much stays where you put it, unless large quantities are used. It’s only downside is that it turns from gray to a sickly pea green color after being exposed to UV rays in sunlight. Here’s a Photo of it used in the fabrication of some water pick-ups I built. It also works great for joining a deck to a hull during construction.

LiPo Power
12-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Loctite 50 minute Marine Epoxy doesn’t require a ‘dam’ to be used as is the case with JB Weld. It’s very viscose, & pretty much stays where you put it, unless large quantities are used. It’s only downside is that it turns from gray to a sickly pea green color after being exposed to UV rays in sunlight. Here’s a Photo of it used in the fabrication of some water pick-ups I built. It also works great for joining a deck to a hull during construction.

...that looks clean and strong....

Pop Alexandra
10-14-2021, 03:24 AM
...that looks clean and strong....

Indeed it does. I've used some RV fiberglass (https://revetementagro.com/en/product/uv-treated-fiberglass) a while back and I was also impressed by its durability.

1coopgt
10-14-2021, 06:50 PM
Please post your opinion....
Robert

For what?

ray schrauwen
10-14-2021, 08:59 PM
Thread is 12 years old guys

1coopgt
10-15-2021, 01:09 PM
Thread is 12 years old guys

Damn I got sucked in .