PDA

View Full Version : Working on maybe getting some of these

Steven Vaccaro
12-18-2009, 04:39 PM
One of my suppliers talked me into buying this 32" mono sample. Hardware is pretty nice, Paint looks nice buts is a bit orange peeled. Motor is a 36mm with a water jacket. I want to test it soon, but my lake is frozen.

Diegoboy
12-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks nice. Any other pics and/or info you want to share?
I'd like to see the business end!

Steven Vaccaro
12-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Here is the transom and inside. Keep it mind, I just opened the box, so the rudder and fins are not mounted on the transom and all the extra parts are still inside the nose.

Darin Jordan
12-18-2009, 05:21 PM
The all kind of start looking the same to me, after awhile... Someone needs to step up and design a Mono with a new look... ;)

Diegoboy
12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Steven,
That transom picture inspired another stupid idea in my head. I'll post about it in a new thread on the main board. That way I can see if it's too stupid to follow through.:olleyes:

Diegoboy
12-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Darin, stay tuned, I value your input very much...

Steven Vaccaro
12-18-2009, 05:25 PM
The all kind of start looking the same to me, after awhile... thats because they are. A copy of a copy of a copy. When does it become an original?

Steven Vaccaro
12-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Steven,
That transom picture inspired another stupid idea in my head. I'll post about it in a new thread on the main board. That way I can see if it's too stupid to follow through.:olleyes:

oh, no. whats stirring in that brain of yours?

Diegoboy
12-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Crazy idea is now public...:olleyes:

graill
12-18-2009, 10:51 PM
thats because they are. A copy of a copy of a copy. When does it become an original?

When people stop copying? :w00t:

Doug Smock
12-19-2009, 12:10 AM
One of my suppliers talked me into buying this 32" mono sample. Hardware is pretty nice, Paint looks nice buts is a bit orange peeled. Motor is a 36mm with a water jacket. I want to test it soon, but my lake is frozen.

I'd be happy to help you out!!:bounce:

Doug :beerchug:

Steven Vaccaro
12-19-2009, 06:40 AM
I'd be happy to help you out!!:bounce:

I dont think you have enough experience to handle the awsome power of this rig.:just-kidding:

I'm working on getting some instructions for the esc. Once I do I, I may take you up on that offer.

Doug Smock
12-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Very good sir!!

Bill-SOCAL
12-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Copies of copies of copies. Just once it would be nice to see a new design. Maybe one where the pointy end is not at the front!!

j.m.
01-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Copies of copies of copies. Just once it would be nice to see a new design. Maybe one where the pointy end is not at the front!!

Wait. You mean an aerodynamic shape????

NOOooo!

:thumbup1:

Efis
01-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Something that uses Bernoulli, Boyle, Navier–Stokes, Prandtl, Kutta, Joukowski, and Lanchester's work would be a great idea.

Blake

properchopper
01-05-2010, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=Bill-SOCAL;146979]Just once it would be nice to see a new design. /QUOTE]

How about an edible speed control ? After it turns into a crispy lump, just dip in barbeque sauce & Yumm !! :thumbup:

sailr
01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
TFL's stuff is pretty nice. Their hardware is great. Hope it's not the dreaded square drive!

Steven Vaccaro
01-05-2010, 11:37 AM
TFL's stuff is pretty nice. Their hardware is great. Hope it's not the dreaded square drive!

Why is it so dreaded? There are pluses and minuses to everything. One plus to a square drive is that if the shaft breaks you don't lose an expensive prop. The shaft stays in the strut.

j.m.
01-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I think a lot of people dread them because it is hard to find a replacement cable if it DOES break.

sailr
01-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Not only that, but the chinese RTR's with the square shaft have a nasty habit of the shaft being out of true on the motor end, producing a lot of vibration and early shaft failure. Just my experience. I won't carry anything with a square shaft. I have been offered a lot of them but no thanks.

The other 'dreaded' part is that you have to remove the strut to pull out the shaft to lube it! PITA!

I think a lot of people dread them because it is hard to find a replacement cable if it DOES break.

j.m.
01-05-2010, 12:02 PM
So yeah, Steven, we'd rather just order the round stuff from you.

Steven Vaccaro
01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Not only that, but the chinese RTR's with the square shaft have a nasty habit of the shaft being out of true on the motor end, producing a lot of vibration and early shaft failure. Just my experience. I won't carry anything with a square shaft. I have been offered a lot of them but no thanks.

The other 'dreaded' part is that you have to remove the strut to pull out the shaft to lube it! PITA!

I've tested a few myself, all of them round at the motor and square at the motor shaft end. Which Asian company is running square on both ends?

Another benefit to a square drive is the cost of the cable. If I'm reading my price list right, its about $6 or $8.00.

On some of my boats that have a oil nipple, I use corrosion x to oil the cable.
The cable in my Syncron has never been removed or replaced. I've been using it since 2003, raced it at the nats in 2004 and 2005. And as a sport runner every summer since.

Like I said there are pluses or minuses to everything.

sailr
01-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Interesting. I can't tell you how many 'samples' I have ordered from Asia with square on both ends. Now if the manufacturer would put an oil nipple on the stuffing tube, maybe I could live with it. I'm working with one of my vendors now to abandon the 'square on both ends' shaft and go with a normal round at the motor and 3/16" shaft at the prop end.

I guess I just haven't found the pluses of square cables yet myself.

I've tested a few myself, all of them round at the motor and square at the motor shaft end. Which Asian company is running square on both ends?

Another benefit to a square drive is the cost of the cable. If I'm reading my price list right, its about $6 or $8.00.

On some of my boats that have a oil nipple, I use corrosion x to oil the cable.
The cable in my Syncron has never been removed or replaced. I've been using it since 2003, raced it at the nats in 2004 and 2005. And as a sport runner every summer since.

Like I said there are pluses or minuses to everything.

Steven Vaccaro
01-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Interesting. I can't tell you how many 'samples' I have ordered from Asia with square on both ends. Now if the manufacturer would put an oil nipple on the stuffing tube, maybe I could live with it. I'm working with one of my vendors now to abandon the 'square on both ends' shaft and go with a normal round at the motor and 3/16" shaft at the prop end.

I guess I just haven't found the pluses of square cables yet myself.

I fired her up for you Jim. No vibrations at all. On a side note have you seen some of the soldered shafts out there coming from Asia? Lets just say a half blind man must have made some of them.

Here is a another corny video I did.

crJm8iBr1w0

Rumdog
01-05-2010, 09:47 PM
ooooooohhh! i likey!!

sailr
01-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Looks good Steven. I noted they are using a collet style connector at the motor end. Most of the vibration I referred to is from companies using a coupler with a square hole and square shaft end at the motor.
I definitely like TFL as a company. You should do well with this boat. What is your target price?

I haven't noticed any bad soldered shafts. I guess I've been lucky.

I fired her up for you Jim. No vibrations at all. On a side note have you seen some of the soldered shafts out there coming from Asia? Lets just say a half blind man must have made some of them.

Here is a another corny video I did.

crJm8iBr1w0

Doug Smock
01-06-2010, 08:40 AM
That thing sounds sweet Steven!!:thumbup1: You still have my address on file right?? :biggrin:

Doug:beerchug:

Bill-SOCAL
01-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Ooooh. Shiny new boat!!! Pretty.:thumbup1:

Tuslow1
01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I think that mono looks slick eventhough I'm not a mono guy by far I think it might look sharp in my toybox..... Steven please don't make me run away from the pricetag?

Tuslow1
01-17-2010, 02:47 AM
:popcorn2::popcorn2: