PDA

View Full Version : Wheel vs. Stick radio control

BHChieftain
12-17-2009, 09:34 AM
I grew up using stick control, but I see most surface RC has moved to wheel format. I found a Futaba 3 channel stick system that would work for boating-- wondering what the experts out there thought about wheel vs. stick format for fast boats.

Any downsides on the stick I should consider or just a matter of preference?

-Chief

Jeff Wohlt
12-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Actually it can be an up side. The reason is you can get many ESCs for planes that work fine with stick yet won't with pistol. I personally feel better with pistol since I came off driving RC trucks. If you came off planes, which I do now, you may feel better with a stick.

BUT, if buying a boat version ESC made for pistol I am not sure but doubt it works with stick, but I could be wrong.

Many across the pond running big cats still use stick. Just what you like.

longballlumber
12-17-2009, 10:10 AM
I currently use a Futaba 3UCP stick radio for all of my boats. I don't know there is a performance advantage for either. I would rely on comfort and feel. For me, it's what my Dad has always used so I naturally went that way... On the same note, I use a wheel style radio when racing cars/trucks.

Go for what "feels" comfortable for you...

Later
Mike

AndyKunz
12-17-2009, 12:23 PM
For a boat, pistol will work fine. Some car guys prefer sticks because they can move the sticks from extreme to extreme more quickly than they can rotate their hand. We (hopefully) don't drive that way in a boat. Others say sticks give more precise control (probably true).

My race boat radios all have wheels.

Andy

Doug Smock
12-17-2009, 12:42 PM
I like the wheel, but really like to pull that trigger!!!!!!!:w00t:

Use what feels good to ya!!!:thumbup:

Doug:beerchug:

ozoneone
04-11-2010, 01:26 AM
BUT, if buying a boat version ESC made for pistol I am not sure but doubt it works with stick, but I could be wrong.

Anybody know if a stick will work for sure with a marine esc? I want to get into the 21st century and get a 2.4 ghz system and am thinking about a stick again. That's how I did it in the old days! (note: heli-style, no center spring, left stick. bottom of stick =0, top =100)

Why waste 30% of travel on a 30-70 pistol grip trigger on fast electric boats?

ozzie-crawl
04-11-2010, 01:55 AM
i grew up with stick and was a long time before i went the pistol route,tried a stick awhile back for boats and didnt like it at all.
cant see a advantage either way just what feels comfortable.
raced cars with a guy acouple years back and he was one of the fastest if not the fastest guy at the club,he had some very top notch cars but his radio was a 20 year old 2 channel stick.

Simon.O.
04-11-2010, 03:10 AM
I am odd as most of the folk here know.
I use pistol for my FE boats and stick for the slow boats, I use stick for my crawler and 1/10 electric buggy too. I can hit reverse faster with a stick and that is why they are used on my non-FE toys.
I have used stick for FE but now prefer wheel/pistol. It just seems right.

In saying all of that, one of my stick handsets is not as comfortable to hold and I am looking at recasing it into an older Futaba case that is very comfy in the hands.

It is all down to preference. :thumbup1:

tharmer
04-11-2010, 12:38 PM
After 30 years, I just switched from a Stick (JR 10x) to a Pistol DX3S. I'm running 1/7th Scale Hydros. Just joined the 21st century.

I actually like the stick better but the hassle of the ESC has gotten to the point where I just gave up. Most ESC are not "stick-friendly" although with some fooling around you can get them to work.

Pistols are easier to carry around when you're lugging a boat...no neck strap.

Pistols are starting to add enough "stick" features that you're not giving up as much functionality as you used to.

I think I drive Sticks a bit more accurately than Pistols, but not so much as to cost me a heat one way or the other.

-t

BHChieftain
04-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I grew up using stick control, but I see most surface RC has moved to wheel format. I found a Futaba 3 channel stick system that would work for boating-- wondering what the experts out there thought about wheel vs. stick format for fast boats.

Any downsides on the stick I should consider or just a matter of preference?

-Chief

Heh, I like to answer my own posts...

The first boat my son and I had was a Trakkas Blast, and it handled nice with a stick. Then I got him a proboat fastech, and after playing around with a faster boat, I really like the wheel format... so for me it depends on the speed.

For the Syncron I am working on, I settled on a wheel format.

-Chief

ozoneone
04-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Most ESC are not "stick-friendly" although with some fooling around you can get them to work.
-t

I am basically a Futaba guy, and although I have the old 3pk FM (nice), I really don't mind sticks. So if I'm going to get a new 2.4, will sticks be ok with my marine esc? I'm wondering because I may want to use it with helis and tugs and many other things.

longballlumber
04-12-2010, 09:05 AM
I haven't had any problems with my stick radio and marine controllers. I think in most cases a stick radio has a better chance of working vs. a wheel because most controllers started as an airplane contoller.

I don't suspect you will have any problems.

Later
Mike

NativePaul
04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I use stick, not for any advantage but its what I'm used to, also a Futaba 6ex 2.4 set was cheaper than the Futaba 3 channel set and I didn't feel like forking out more money to try out something I may not like and is that limiting, I can use the 6ex for planes and tanks too.

I generally watercool and waterproof air ESCs for marine use, started doing it as I had spare plane ESCs knocking about when I came back to boating from flying, but still do it because there are some very good deals amongst the air ESCs and Marine ones tend to be overpriced in comparison. I do however have a pair of CC hydra 240s and they work fine with my stick radio.

ozoneone
04-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks people. I'm gonna get a 6ex for the above reasons too. I learned on sticks, and have no problem there. If I don't like it for boats, I can go back to the 3pk. But I really like the idea of no antenna sticking out.

longballlumber
04-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Here is another option from Futaba...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSNN8&P=0

NativePaul
04-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Yeah it's an option but like I said for some bizarre reason the 6EX is cheaper, you save $50 going for the 6channel set over the 3 channel set from the same shop
TowerHobbies (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPZT8&P=0)
Also the RX that comes with the 3 channel set is the 603FF which only has 1 aerial which isn't the best idea when 2.4ghz is so easily blocked by motors etc in the line of sight.

longballlumber
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
All true statements, and I can't argue the logic.

Personally, I could never get used both sticks being mulit directional when only using 2 channels... That's just me though.

Later
mike

NativePaul
04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
As I'm only using 2 channels for boats it doesn't matter if I go a little of axis and having spent some time flying on twin sticks I have learned to move the sticks in one axis without wobbling onto the other axis, but you could always replace the springs on the other channels with stronger ones or even Cyno the sticks solid on the axis you don't want to get the better RXs and save the cash.

For FE boats I prefer the full travel throttle stick of the 6EX, although for cars I really do like the sprung ability to split the throttle 70/30 on the 3GR, compared to the 6EX which springs to the middle if you choose to spring it with brake/reverse (I use ratchet not spring) and if I wanted a radio for cars only I would probably stump up the extra cash for the 3GR

tharmer
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I lost two heats last year because I didn't have any reverse in my boat. This year I'm thinking of putting in the minimum amount (12% I think) of reverse so it doesn't happen again.
-t