PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 787 First Flight

AndyKunz
12-15-2009, 12:33 PM
My nephew's an engineer on the 787. Just got this from him a few minutes ago.

You can stream the footage of the first flight (should be about 110pm EST) here.

www.newairplane.com

This is history! Click on "First Flight" on the right side of the screen and just wait for the updates to start.

Andy

Darin Jordan
12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
My nephew's an engineer on the 787. Just got this from him a few minutes ago.

This is history! Click on "First Flight" on the right side of the screen and just wait for the updates to start.

Andy

It's going to be landing (God willing!!!) just across the street from where I'm sitting here... Might have to go watch it come in!

AndyKunz
12-15-2009, 04:14 PM
The Boeing site is clogged, hopefully somebody got it to YouTube for us.

Andy

NitroVal
12-15-2009, 04:23 PM
WHats the big deal about this plane? I saw a brief clip about it while at the gym, but had no sound. It looks like a plane jane airplane to me.. I honestly thought it would be bigger

Brushless55
12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Both my mom and aunt worked for Boeing long ago
cool to see a new plane from them
ps. I turned down a job with them 10years ago :crying:

AndyKunz
12-15-2009, 05:45 PM
WHats the big deal about this plane? I saw a brief clip about it while at the gym, but had no sound. It looks like a plane jane airplane to me.. I honestly thought it would be bigger

It's almost all composites, direct competition for the A380. Go to the link above and look at construction pages.

The advantages it has over the A380 are that it can fly into more airports (smaller size), more efficient (at least on paper), quicker turnaround, more versatile, and a twin vs. four engines (reliability and operating cost advantages).

The A380 has the advantage of being out first (a year ahead of the 787), more passengers (which works out to more profits for the operator), and long duration flights.

The Boeing also racked up orders a lot more quickly, indicating that they may have correctly sensed the market changing toward more regionalization of air routes.

Andy

Jeff Wohlt
12-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Very cool....man she is BIG!

This is a big leap for airplanes. I think about 80% CF.

Bill-SOCAL
12-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Do they use epoxy or polyester resin??:olleyes:

Brushless55
12-15-2009, 06:25 PM

:rofl:

andym
12-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Yhey are using a new high tech formula called PolyOxy

Efis
12-16-2009, 10:34 AM
I was on the edge of seat watching aviation history being made yesterday. It was amazing to watch those wings finally go to work. Reminded me of a big Sea Stallion's blades coning under load. I hope my airline gets some these.

Blake

AndyKunz
12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I think it was neat seeing the newest 21st Century jet take off, with some of the world's oldest jets (first flew 1948, 61 years ago!) on either side. Definitely cool.

Andy

Chilli
12-16-2009, 04:07 PM
From what I read, another benifit of the Dreamliner's wing design is to reduce the effects of chop for a smoother ride in turbulence.

It was amazing to watch those wings finally go to work. Reminded me of a big Sea Stallion's blades coning under load.
You Ex-navy Blake? We had a squadron of H53E's at my base (NAS Sigonella) so I know what you mean. They would scrare the crap out of me when watching them do practice autorotations. BTW-My smart a$$ buddy told me you asked about me. He's ex special forces so what ever he told you, don't trust him.:roflol:

westbeach
12-16-2009, 11:30 PM
It is nice to see a realistic design come to form! Hope to take a ride in one soon!

Efis
12-17-2009, 08:41 AM
No military on my resume. I used to fly a ton of military charters. I asked your buddy if you were working and he laughed and said work is a pretty strong word for what you do around there.:roflol:

Blake

befu
12-17-2009, 10:31 AM

I wonder what the response time is of the control system? How many milli or micro seconds from pilot input tocontrol surface acutation. Latency?? Is that the word...

Lets see some snap rolls!

Brian