PDA

View Full Version : Australia vist

Eodman
12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
OK my wife has to travel down under in June 2010 - we have decided that we will take the boys and join her for our vacation this year!

If I'm right we will spend 3 or 4 days in Sydney and the balance in Carines(?????) - 7 days there!

Any of you buggers near either city?

JCAustralia
12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Eodman

What would you like to do in Sydney? I could give you some suggestions depending on what you want to do.

Cheers

JC

Eodman
12-11-2009, 04:53 PM
This will be my second visit --- 1st time I pulled my R&R out of Vietnam in Sydney!

When we landed, I went straight down to the harbor to see the opera house. The year before it opened -- In my Class A uniform walked around outside, a guy comes up & starts talking to me,Turns out he's the GC on the job and takes me inside spent about 3 hours with me touring the place!

After that I still have 96 hours missing --- went to the hotel met up with the other guys from my outfit and stayed pretty drunk!

I woke up with a booming headache on a C131 about an hour out from landing back in Da Nang!

Good Times I tell ya Good Times!

Xzessperated
12-11-2009, 05:18 PM
This will be my second visit --- 1st time I pulled my R&R out of Vietnam in Sydney!

When we landed, I went straight down to the harbor to see the opera house. The year before it opened -- In my Class A uniform walked around outside, a guy comes up & starts talking to me,Turns out he's the GC on the job and takes me inside spent about 3 hours with me touring the place!

After that I still have 96 hours missing --- went to the hotel met up with the other guys from my outfit and stayed pretty drunk!

I woke up with a booming headache on a C131 about an hour out from landing back in Da Nang!

Good Times I tell ya Good Times!

George my cousins boy said to say "Hello Daddy" to you :laugh: Good to hear you enjoyed what you can remember.
Unless there are a few less vocal Aussie members on here then you are out of luck (or in luck depending on your point of view). I am sure the guys will only be too happy to help out if you have any questions. Would be nice to shake your hand but you will come no closer than 800 miles to me.
I hope you have a good time and take home more memories this time.
Paddy

andym
12-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Mate I am 1200 km from Sydney and a bloody lot further from FNQ, there are some good fellas over that way though and I am sure a few will reply with offers of Brothel & brewery tours. Just do not leave them alone with your wife because as you know we like to MATE
Have a great time

ozzie-crawl
12-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm around 1800 klm from cairns, about 15 minutes in my plane but i have been grounded by the ATC for some no good stupid reason
this is what i got from them " civilian owned jet fighters are not allowed to carry laser guided missiles and fire them towards boat loads of tourists" :blah::blah: tourists must be the new name for illegal immigrants

JCAustralia
12-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Well

There is a fairly big hobbyshop in central Sydney, Wynyard station. Its in the Queen Victoria Building (QVB) which has other shops that the missus and kids may be interested . QVB is a nice shopping centre withsome expensive shops.

http://www.hobbyco.com.au/

Hobbyco is not the cheapest one but its convenient for people who work in the city. I sometimes get my supplies from there when I'm not buying online......

The red light district in Sydney is in King's Cross ooooops:zip-up::zip-up::zip-up: I shall say no more......

Cheers

JC

Eodman
12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Thank you Gentlemen, Hey is the member that is making the Mean Machine cowls from Australia? HMMMMM maybe I could get a couple I do have 2 MM's

Heath M
12-12-2009, 04:17 PM
yeah he is, but he lives a days drive from sydney and 2 days drive from cairns

bonewar
12-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Eodman,

I spent my childhood in Manly (SYDNEY NORTH SHORE). It is a beautiful city
(SYDNEY). A good day out, Go down to circular key which is next to the 0pera House , get on the Manly ferry and it will take you across the harbour for about a 45min journey (spectacular views of the harbour). From Manly you can ride the bus all the way to Palm beach or just take in what Manly has to offer. I don't live there anymore i live in Mackay north Queensland which is about 8 hours drive to Cairns. Cairns is a city on the coast and has some real nice country around it( rain forest), also it is very close to the great barrier reef , Which makes it a hot spot for fishing the reefs. June is probably the best time of the year to visit Cairns as the temp will be perfect . Anyway i hope you have a great Holiday with your family . You will love AUSTRALIA it is a beautiful country . BONEWAR :rockon2:

Flying Scotsman
12-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Why do you want to go the vast wilderness called Australia :just-kidding:

My brother was there this year and he was very impressed, mind you he is an accountant :ThumbsDown01: and his view of the world is spoiled by how much does this hotel cost etc.
Seriously, he loved the Continent and loved the people apart from an individual from Broken Hill who shagged his wife!!

Douggie

andym
12-12-2009, 07:07 PM
And she was a much better shag than your ex !!!!

Flying Scotsman
12-12-2009, 07:33 PM
No kidding

Douggie

Eodman
12-13-2009, 11:22 AM
My wife is going on business and her airfare, food and the hotel will be paid for!We just apy the difference for a larger room. When these things come up we try to take advantage of them! A few years back we were able to go to Germany and also Italy! Memories we hope the boys will have in years to come!

The cost of the trips are greatly reduced when just paying for 3 air fares and using accrued mileage!!!!

Flying Scotsman
12-13-2009, 11:34 AM
George, you will really enjoy your trip and the kids will love it, and the weather is superb at this time of year....not like what we are experiencing! June is their winter time but still very pleasant

Douggie

rc_hydro
12-13-2009, 11:48 PM
If you need a boat racing fix and happen to be in Sydney on the 13th or 20th June, The Model Boat Club of NSW are running on those dates. The club is located at Penrith, which is approx 50 minutes by train from Sydney CBD.
http://www.modelboatclubofnsw.com/index.html

marker
01-03-2010, 05:42 AM
George
When you're in Sydney you may be interested in a visit to the Australian National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour where Ken Warby's "Spirit of Australia" is on permanent display.
http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=1209&c=856
Mark

andym
01-03-2010, 06:56 AM
When you're in Sydney you may be interested in a visit to the Australian National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbor where Ken Warby's "Spirit of Australia" is on permanent display. :iagree:

JCAustralia
01-03-2010, 07:58 AM
If you go to Manly there is also Manly dam which is not far. That's my favourite spots for RC boating.

Couple of pictures taken there. The pictures are focused more on the boats but you get an idea how Manly Dam looks like.....