PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed my winter project

BILL OXIDEAN
12-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Super cold out, and I wanted to get some wheel time so I went into the RC car chest to see what's what. After destroying the entire rear end of my Traxxas stampede, I pulled out an old school rc10

Bolted in a NOVAK GTB 5.5 system and commenced to blasting 70+ mph passes on 2s up and down the street.

Long story short, i geared up, the car flipped a wheelie at 57mph and slid under the tire of a parking car.

I've had sevral cars run over, but this one is completely destroyed!
The tranny is still outstanding, so it will get bolted into the patrs car lol

Diegoboy
12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Ouch!:sad:

pescador
12-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Nice crash!
I've got a couple of full race 10T's that were pretty hot back in the day and a ton of parts collecting dust. Now your giving me ideas mmmmm brushless :thumbup1:

marko500
12-09-2009, 09:00 AM
An old RC10 got me back into RC. My son found my old RC10 in the basement and started running it again and crashing it. It's getting harder and harder to find parts for it so we picked up a couple brushless Traxxas cars. That led into brushless boats, and 3 brushless cars, a crawler and 5 brushless boats later here I am. When my wife gets mad about the money we spend on this hobby I just blame my son!

BILL OXIDEAN
12-09-2009, 09:08 AM
An old RC10 got me back into RC. My son found my old RC10 in the basement and started running it again and crashing it. It's getting harder and harder to find parts for it so we picked up a couple brushless Traxxas cars. That led into brushless boats, and 3 brushless cars, a crawler and 5 brushless boats later here I am. When my wife gets mad about the money we spend on this hobby I just blame my son!

If I'm not mistaken, I'm hearing a story of a family who got into boats through cars??:buttrock::bounce::banana:

A class that incorperates car equipment is a viable resource for the crossover i think more guys enter electric boats through cars than one might think.. I certainly did

marko500
12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
My first RC car was a Tamiya Blackfoot then the RC 10 after that I picked up a Futaba Candy boat ( remember that one!). It was nice because the boat used all car components (motor, speed controls servos, batteries) I was bitten by the RC boat bug. I then got into big gas powered boats but was limited by places to run. So after a break FE was the perfect answer to both speed and availability of places to run. My sons also are pretty confortable with the boats after some wheel time with the cars. We still swap the batteries and chargers between cars and boats.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-09-2009, 09:50 AM
My first RC car was a Tamiya Blackfoot then the RC 10 after that I picked up a Futaba Candy boat ( remember that one!). It was nice because the boat used all car components (motor, speed controls servos, batteries) I was bitten by the RC boat bug. I then got into big gas powered boats but was limited by places to run. So after a break FE was the perfect answer to both speed and availability of places to run. My sons also are pretty confortable with the boats after some wheel time with the cars. We still swap the batteries and chargers between cars and boats.

Amen, I want to publish this story..
A sega of a man who through many adventures in radio controlled offroad bashing
discovered his final quest... A fast electric rc boat.. :smile:

I can't stress to guys enough that many come into this through cars. Boats that accept all of your car gear make trying boats simple, way more affordable, and user friendly.

Sanctions are stepping away from boats that accept car equipment but here in NAMBA country we're pushing to utilize the awesome technology these car motors and speedos have to offer

Darin Jordan
12-09-2009, 09:52 AM
OUCH, Bill! That one hurts!! (the trashing of your truck...) You did that one good!! :(

I have a Stampede... which I'll admit... got me into BOATS!

I had a Dumas DV-10 in glass when I was about 13... Built it the best I could... put in an OS-Max 10FSR... Full-sized servos, etc... I was just a kid with no $$$ so I did what I could...

Took it to the lake the first time out... got it running, tossed it into the water, and SNAP... flex shaft snapped and I never ran it again...

Years later I got a Tamiya FAST ATTACK Vehicle and that got me started into Cars... Then years went by without anything...

About 8 or 9 years ago, my parents showed up for my Birthday and my Dad, who liked to surprise us kids, hands me a package that was a Traxxas Stampede with charger and batteries... BANG! I'm off...

After running it around for a year or so, I was cleaning out the garage and found an old Dumas DV40 hull that I had purchased used from a friend's dad that used to race it... I had cleaned it all up, repainted, etc... and then it had been put into storage for YEARS...

I started wondering about powering it with Electric power, so I started inquiring, and after getting in touch with Fuller and PSFEMBC, here we are today!!

I still have the Stampede, and I also have several RC10 onroad cars, including an oval racer with several bodies. In addition, I went on a streak on E-Bay a couple of years ago and bought up enough spare parts for Traxxas Rustlers to build at least two complete vehicles... one for each kid... haven't gotten to do that yet, but I will...

pescador
12-09-2009, 10:30 AM
For me cars and trucks definitely led to boats, sailboats first but I eventually got faster.:olleyes:
My first car was a Cox .049 Dune-buggy no radio control just point and shoot. I finally found enough parts to restore one for the shelf.
That eventually led to racing 10T's offroad, but competing against fully sponsored factory drivers the costs started to get crazy.
When the RTR T-Maxx came out it got me back into nitro and now trying boat racing 15 years later.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
I like these stories! its like a trip down memory lane..
I grew up around the corner from a hobby shop. I was raised through the hobbies starting with slot cars at 6 went on to rocketry, then got my first hobbby class rc car the tamiya super champ in 1983. I next got a tamiya falcon, then a kyosho optima then I turned into a girl chaser.

At 19 I picked up a Traxxas Rad-2 and went through literally hundreds of cars thereafter. a couple of college buddies and I thought it would be neat to run an rc boat after the shnicks and giggles we got out of my high flying cat chasing buggy, so we pitched in on a Kyosho Viper rtr. I modded the crud out of it, then after reading boat modeller saw Randy's ad.

Being less than a 20 minute drive from my house, I went into his shop and he started teaching me the ropes. It wasn't long before he had enslaved me in his polishing dungeon, and made a parts boy outta' me. :just-kidding:

Eodman
12-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Was Never in RC cars ... when I was young - 45 years ago we had a summer home with a ski boat and of course I had to have my own boat!

Parents got me a plastic one with an OB on it, little on off switch no RC but it was mine and slow!

A few years ago, my sons & I watched a regional Gas race here in Sayreville and the interest was renewed! Then I bought the the contents of a storage container and low and behold in the front of the container was a newer Villian and an almost new Supervee still in the box and the Beast rared up and bite me in the a@@! Took a bite out of my son also!

That's my story!:banana::beerchug:

marko500
12-09-2009, 11:20 AM
My sons were laughing at me when I was telling them about the "good old days" when we were thrilled when 1500mha Ni-cds came out. and the Pro-Tec chargers where you set the 15 min. timer and then kept resetting it until the battery was warm. Or the old 3 step Tamiya speed contols with the resistor. We go through boxes in the basement to prove these things actually existed! We sure have come a long way. Makes me wonder what my kids will be telling their kids about this sport some day. Sure is fun building memories with them.

Diegoboy
12-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Here's my "other than a boat" hobby vehicle. I hope that doesn't happen to mine!

http://www.diegoboy.com/misc/sc10-01-sm.jpg (http://www.diegoboy.com/misc/sc10-01.jpg)

http://www.diegoboy.com/misc/sc10-02-sm.jpg (http://www.diegoboy.com/misc/sc10-02.jpg)

BakedMopar
12-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Nice Danny! Looks good. I got into boats from cars/trucks of over 20 years. I still got some RC10Ts and some others. They are getting harder to find and when you do it's a lot of $.

What I like most about boats is the challenge. Your setup has to be very close or perfect where as cars/trucks it's not as sensitive. You can change your driving style to suite a bad setup in a race. Boats bad setup and it's over.

screwball
12-09-2009, 07:42 PM
i got into boats through cars over the summer and i was hooked! lol i started with a micro scat cat, then a mini cat racing velocity mono then another micro scat cat and now im bilding a renegade rigger!

James

properchopper
12-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I got into tether cars in the mid 1950's, then control line & free flight planes (plus a weird one-man .049 hovercraft). In 1958 I bought a [roughly] 26" plastic mono with an all-metal .049 outboard motor. Living on a small island in N.Y., I'd go out in my friend's Lyman runabout, crank up the .049 & let 'the cute little craft bounce around the bay with a mind of its own. Then slot cars. Motorcycles crept in by the late 1950's & I still ride my 10'8" long '66 Shovel-Pan chopper "Black Sunshine". As a liveaboard from 1990 'till 2005, I wanted to go FE but the [now] ex-wiffe said: "No, No". A week after she split in 2004 {I still miss her, 'tho my aim's improving}, I got my first scale rtr boat. Then 2 more rtr's, then..well you know the rest ...

BILL OXIDEAN
12-10-2009, 01:22 AM
I got into tether cars in the mid 1950's, then control line & free flight planes (plus a weird one-man .049 hovercraft). In 1958 I bought a [roughly] 26" plastic mono with an all-metal .049 outboard motor. Living on a small island in N.Y., I'd go out in my friend's Lyman runabout, crank up the .049 & let 'the cute little craft bounce around the bay with a mind of its own. Then slot cars. Motorcycles crept in by the late 1950's & I still ride my 10'8" long '66 Shovel-Pan chopper "Black Sunshine". As a liveaboard from 1990 'till 2005, I wanted to go FE but the [now] ex-wiffe said: "No, No". A week after she split in 2004 {I still miss her, 'tho my aim's improving}, I got my first scale rtr boat. Then 2 more rtr's, then..well you know the rest ...

Tony, I know you want to impress us and all, but how could you have been runnin' teather cars in the 50's when you're only 28?? :bounce: :just-kidding:

Nice story! You come from the REAL hobbyist age of models..

properchopper
12-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Tony, I know you want to impress us and all, but how could you have been runnin' teather cars in the 50's when you're only 28?? :bounce: :just-kidding:

Shh !! You'll screw up my Medicare eligibility zip-up:

Nice story! You come from the REAL hobbyist age of models..

Things sure have come a long way. :rockon2:

crabstick
12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
ouch Bill! I know the feeling!

I still remember selling my TRC pro10 to buy a TRC lynx 2 Elite. A mate had an RC10L ... first run with my new car I had a 6 turn astroflight in it, were having a drag and using one side of the road when my car hit a pebble, changed direction and darted off under a van that happened to come past right at that moment...

Everything was crushed... including my brand new car :P

BILL OXIDEAN
12-16-2009, 04:23 AM
well boys, I'm back.
I'm attacking the neighborhood with my prized Stampede
Novak 5.5 GTB MaxAmps 65002s2p Airtronics M11X

This truck ABSOLUTELY rips video coming soon many improvements have been made but here's an old vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1M5W1bnVQ&NR=1

marko500
12-16-2009, 08:39 AM
I think these brushless cars are faster in person then they appear in a video. When we bought our VXL Rustler and Bandit my buddy at the hobby shop wanted to know if we wanted the wheelie bars to go with them we responded "yeah right". Next day we were back at his shop buying the wheelie bars! Then we tried a 3s battery in them WOW!

Jeff Wohlt
12-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a stapmede and wonder what motor to put in it. Do I just need a Feigo S motor and how many KV for 2S....without destroying the tranny.

Darin Jordan
12-16-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a stapmede and wonder what motor to put in it. Do I just need a Feigo S motor and how many KV for 2S....without destroying the tranny.

Jeff,

I haven't put a BL in mine yet... the 15-turn Trinity I have it there is WAY enough on good NiMH cells, and ballistic using Lipos... Don't really need to go any faster than that with this truck....

Jeff Wohlt
12-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Well I was wondering. I run a 27T pro copperhead motor and she is pretty good but I would like to step it up. It would need a new ESC to handle either anyway and BL seems so darn cheap.

calcagno45
12-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Jeff: I would look for a Feigao S can in about a 3500-4000kv range. That should run plenty cool enough on 2s and be ballistic on 3s!

marko500
12-16-2009, 10:34 AM
On the stock VXL version trucks the motor is a brushless 10 turn 3500kv. I think I have seen a kit that includes the brushless VXL esc and motor as a combo kit. We run our trucks on either 2s or 3s. The escs are programable for Nimh or lipo and have a LVC cutoff.

BakedMopar
12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Here is my buddies stampede. It has a CC sidewinder Nd a 4600kv motor on 7cell NiMh.

http://vimeo.com/5777334

hide
12-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Ouch, I run cars only and thats one of the worst crashes Ive seen for a while! Although last year at the speed event this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyCTDsoe9d4

Right now I've built/am building a TC5 and M18T for next years event:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2hyhq92.png

The TC5 ran 53mph on a cold road and old tyres, with only 1/8 - 1/4 throttle :D That is a high quality Flightpower lipo not a cheapy from ebay.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2s9br7p.jpg

Thats the M18T, really wip. Looking for a Neu 1112 to replace one of the 1105's that I previously had. Ran one of them on 4S and got 60mph with an annoyingly low gearing as the old chassis meant that I couldn't gear up any more. Now with this extended one I can gear to the moon. So one of the 1105's will go and I'll keep one for a spare.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Well I was wondering. I run a 27T pro copperhead motor and she is pretty good but I would like to step it up. It would need a new ESC to handle either anyway and BL seems so darn cheap.

Jeff, yours I assume is one of the older versions like mine and the tranny is succeptible.
If you keep her as is, I'd run like a 15-turn brushed motor like Darin, or a low kv motor around 4,000

The beauty of Stampedes, is that geared right most any motor makes 'em haul.

hide
12-16-2009, 12:43 PM

What car Jeff? 1/10 onroad/offroad: I'd look at the Ezrun 60A + 8.5T combo. Very very cheap, and fast. You don't really need sensored for running around, only for racing. If you are happy to spend more the Castle Creations Mamba Max 5700kv combo is better.

BakedMopar
12-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Danny has my old Sc10. That's equiped with a novak havok3s ballistic 8.5. On 3s it's insane!

BILL OXIDEAN
12-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I have ZERO experience with 3s
I was wondering what wind I could get away with I'll probably use a ballistic 10.5

Have you seen the new Kinetic speedo? I was told it will be faster than the GTB!

hide
12-16-2009, 02:29 PM
The Novak ESC's don't really like 3S even if they are rated for that. The Mamba Max Pro is rated up to 6S :p

Diegoboy
12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Here's (http://www.teamnovak.com/products/brushless/havoc3s_ballistic8.5/index.html) the system in my SC10. 3S is all I run on her.

The Novak Spec & Pro & sport don't like 3S, but that one does!

hide
12-16-2009, 02:47 PM
A side project of mine - stupidly powerful but too much fun. Nearly killed myself with it the other day, 60mph flying objects hurt! Broke the rear bumper with my face but its not too much of a big deal. Traxxas 1/16 Revo, Mamba Max & 7700kv 540 motor, 2S Hyperion 1600mah 35C in parallel.

http://i45.tinypic.com/4q3dyb.jpg

Diegoboy
12-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Does anyone know where to get a Tamiya M-02 chassis? Were those any good? I am looking for something with a 215mm wheelbase & the M-02 is all I could find.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-17-2009, 08:36 AM
I absolutely LOVE these! The M02 is and outstanding handling chassis for the plastic unit it is, I'd get another in a hot minute. They DO have a bit of a transmission issue, but every car I've ever owned has tranny issues.

Get one, and you'll see what I mean, fairly inexpensive, and drives SO predictable, grassroots rc, it drives textbook.

Soon, I'll have a vid for you guys of me bashing. You'll see why no transmission can withstand me :laugh:

BILL OXIDEAN
12-17-2009, 03:27 PM
A side project of mine - stupidly powerful but too much fun. Nearly killed myself with it the other day, 60mph flying objects hurt! Broke the rear bumper with my face but its not too much of a big deal. Traxxas 1/16 Revo, Mamba Max & 7700kv 540 motor, 2S Hyperion 1600mah 35C in parallel.

http://i45.tinypic.com/4q3dyb.jpg

Are you serious?LoL!!! I like that thing, it reminds me of the type of thing I do cram a big block into a micro Silly fun and ballistic

Broke the rear bumper with your face LoL Was it flying off a jump? I ran my girlfriend over one time (on accident), she attacked me and called my toy a stupid waste of life LoL

hide
12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah lol. Its actually crazy. I expect to break the stock driveshafts soon enough hah.

Funny story: I was giving it a go down a small country road, was only about 2 metres wide. Previously I was going about half throttle because there was no way I could go any faster there. But I decided to try out a little bit more to see what it was like. Then all of a sudden its flying towards my feet at 60+mph! So I turned it, it caught the road and flew up and hit me in the face. It hurt but luckily the car was damaged, not me!

I won't jump this thing now, way too heavy to stand up to the abuse I gave it when stock (still haven't broken anything though, somehow!)

Bad crash - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVgmFpdcEHU&feature=player_embedded

FloatDaBoat
12-31-2009, 09:55 PM
I purchased a Tower Hobbies System 2.4 (XMTR/RCVR - $79.99) plus an additional Rcvr ($18.99) to replace the almost twenty-year-old Futaba 2 channel AM I‘ve been using in my Cat. To test the functionality of the XMTR & both RCVRs, I installed each in my RC10 CE, & ran it in the street in front of the house. Everything checked-out Finern Frog’s Hair. I even managed to keep the Buggy from being smashed flatter than a cow pattie by any passing vehicles - - HAW!!!

I don’t care for the feel of the XMTR’s trigger; I might have to fab some sort of add-on to rectify that.

Here’s a photo: