PDA

View Full Version : Houston toy drives check the immigration status of families before handing out gifts.

RCprince
12-01-2009, 02:48 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/12/01/toy-immigration/

:confused1: I guess Jesus don't love you unless your a citizen.

Bill-SOCAL
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
And what's wrong with that??I can't find anywhere in the Bible or the Constitution where it says that we have to give toys to the children of illegal immigrants. They came here to work, put them to work!! Hey, I've got a good idea, move to China and get a job in a TOY FACTORY!! Make your own toys. And eat a little lead based paint too while you're at it.

Gosh it feels good to be a Christian this time of year!!

I wonder if the Houston FD plans to start checking immigration status before they put a fire out or send an EMT unit to an accident site or emergency call. Seems only right.

Rumdog
12-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Unbelievable

AndyKunz
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
If you're so upset about the Army's decision, why don't you guys cover the cash for the 20% increase they've had in requests this year?!

Put YOUR money where YOUR mouths are!

It's rough on charities, last year and this year. They've had increased requests for help due to the economy at the same time they've had reduced support due again to the economy (or is it due to the "stimulus?").

You may not like their decision, but limiting toy handouts is better than eliminating meals, which happens to be the Army's priority.

Buy a kid a toy, or feed a hungry mouth? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Andy

Rumdog
12-01-2009, 05:37 PM
AHHH, here comes the right again! First of all, it is blatent racism to ask for proof of citizenship. This is SOLELY based on physical appearance. Also, a kid is a kid. They know nothing of borders or nations. It's not buy a kid a toy or feed a hungry mouth. It's give a white kid a toy and turn away the ones who you decide look illegal. It's called having decency.

Rumdog
12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Also, my money IS where my mouth is!

egneg
12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Yet again the children suffer because of political crap.

jantagg
12-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Now, don't get upset. The reporting was mis leading. There is no denying toys to any child because of immigration status. The asking for documentation was to make sure that families don't double dip on their requests.

Houston, Texas

Bill-SOCAL
12-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Here is the actual article from the Houston Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6746254.html

What exactly is misleading?

domwilson
12-01-2009, 08:53 PM
And all this time I thought it was the season of giving...Silly me.

Simon.O.
12-02-2009, 12:57 AM
I wonder if the Houston FD plans to start checking immigration status before they put a fire out or send an EMT unit to an accident site or emergency call. Seems only right.

I don't know how it works in the US but over here I know that if there is a fire that needs to go out or a sticky plaster that needs to go on, we are there. We do not care what your immigration status is.
We work so others may live. :thumbup1:

Ub Hauled
12-02-2009, 01:26 AM
I have mixed efelings about this... I am a immingrant, now citizen of the US... i understand the deal that some of these immigrants are going through...
On one hand, I say why give them anything since they are most likely not paying taxes (which I always did since here), but on the other hand, is not the kids fault that the parents came here and are illegal still, most these guys/gals don't even try to get legalized for some reason. So maybe I am going to shoot in the middle here and say, give the kids a toy and give the parents the option on the spot to either pay the $1000 fine and start a green card application (take fingerprints right then and there regardless) or hop in the bus over there... destination MX.
I don't mean to sound cruel, but I had many friends that came here to make a living and all they did was party with the money they where making... i always invested in myself, had a little less party time, but I went somewhere.

AndyKunz
12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Jan,

You are EXACTLY the kind of immigrant that America needs and wants. One who adopts and contributes, becomes part of the society and makes a difference in the world. My mother came here from Germany in 1951 and applied herself to being here - enough so that she won top honors upon graduation...

... from the ENGLISH Department!

I too have mixed feelings. I can't blame anybody for leaving any country and trying to come here. I have family and friends from Holland, Germany, Columbia, Canada, Red China, Australia, Jamaica, and England. They have all come here legally. Yup, it cost some money, but they did it the right way and have no fear of deportation. They all contribute to society and are all Americans now. None of them demands signage in their native tongue - they all learned English (except the Englishman - he still speaks British :D ). I also know some illegals. THEY're the ones making demands.

Some people criticize "the right" for being racist, but race has nothing to do with it. They have to revert to that simply because they don't have anything honest to counter.

BTW, these legal immigrants seem to be the most "anti-illegal" people I know.

Andy