PDA

View Full Version : New NAMBA FE Chairman Announced!!

Darin Jordan
12-01-2009, 09:54 AM
For those who haven't already heard, David Newland was announced as the new NAMBA FE Chairman.

Thanks for stepping up, David! :thumbup1:

Steven Vaccaro
12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
So whats the first order of change?

BILL OXIDEAN
12-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Where and when did all this happen, and why was I not involved???

I think Dave was a great choice! He knows FE and is a knowledgable fair minded guy.
Heck yeah!

Ub Hauled
12-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I was wondering why anyone had not stepped up to the position...

Congrats David.

D. Newland
12-01-2009, 02:36 PM

Q Spec. Then outboard mono.

Just kidding! Thanks for the support, guys!

BILL OXIDEAN
12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Q Spec. Then outboard mono.

Just kidding! Thanks for the support, guys!

Hey man, that's not funny! You really had me jacked up about outboard mono! LoL
I thought I was gonna be able to run like the outboard of my dreams look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVY9xNWrUk

Darin Jordan
12-01-2009, 03:13 PM
You really had me jacked up about outboard mono! LoL

Ummm... I'm not sure there is anything in the rules preventing this now... :confused2: :thumbup:

Bill-SOCAL
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM

T Sport Hydro and make catamarans a class and offshore a type of race instead of a class of boat.

Doug Smock
12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Congratulations David!

AndyKunz
12-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Great news! Congrats, David!

Andy

D. Newland
12-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Here's my acceptance speech:

First off, a big thank you to Terry Davis for his NAMBA FE Chairperson stint during the past several years. Even though the spot had been open for quite some time, Terry was still fulfilling the role behind-the-scenes. It just killed me that he got to continue to have his cake and eat it, too.

I’ve had a few conversations this past year with Terry and Al Waters about the NAMBA FE Chairperson position, but it was the recent NAMBA Propwash that really got me motivated to do something about it. Frankly, I didn’t like the fact that the FE Chairperson slot was the only “vacancy” within NAMBA. We’re better than that!

I’ve established some very special friendships with fellow hobbyists during the past 8 years I’ve been in this hobby. As we discuss FE, there seems to be some clear (and some not-so-clear) items that FE can do to step up our game. After all, It’s been said by many that FE has so much potential within our hobby, yet racing attendance/membership is mediocre at best. The reason for this is hard to nail down, but there are a few items that I feel can help improve FE. For instance:

-There needs to be a solid recognition that public on-line forum discussions must remain constructive, positive and focused on helping the fellow racer. Thanks to all for your help and dedication to this topic. We have made tremendous strides here.

-Simplify/Consolidate class offerings at FE Events.

-Make sure decisions we make within FE follow the KISS principle.

-Help the club-level class racing structure by finding a balance between club level and national level classes.

-Continue to evolve to the nitro/gas racing format. I’d really like to see FE accept full mill starts and start working on an event structure that incorporates 4 rounds/day.

-Make sure FE events have the guidance, information and tools necessary to host a professional event.

-Encourage all FE racers to accept any offer to race at a mixed event.

-Continue to move towards finalizing the P Spec Power parameters.

I feel these items make for a good roadmap in order for FE racers to take our hobby to the next level and I feel I am in a good place to help FE make the journey.

As for me, I have been involved in FE since 2002 and have attended to following races:

2003: FE Nat’s (San Francisco)
2004: Michigan Cup Race
Trent Hare Classic (San Francisco)
2005: FE Nat’s (Michigan)
Trent Hare Classic (San Francisco)
2006: CAFÉ’ (Cleveland Area FE)
Sardine Classic (Wisconsin)
2007: CAFÉ’ race-IMPBA combined gas/nitro/FE with the Celina Club
2008: FE Nats (Sacramento)
IMPBA Canadian FE Nat’s
2009: NAMBA Gas/Nitro Nat’s (FE races offered) in Washington
FE Nat’s (Michigan)

2004-Present: Hosted the Annual Az Winter Warmups FE event, along with other members of the Scottsdale Model Boaters. In addition, I helped orchestrate the infusion of FE classes into the 2008 SMB nitro event.

During the past 8 years, I feel I have gained valuable insight within FE, NAMBA and our hobby as a whole. For me, maximum enjoyment is guaranteed if I keep my eye on four things: Camaraderie, professionalism, sportsmanship and perspective.

My goal as NAMBA FE Chairperson: Focus on honing FE’s level of competition, race organization and presence within our hobby/organization.

Outside of FE, I am 39 years old and married my wife, Kara in 1996. We have twin boys, Lucas and Joshua, that are in 5th grade and currently enjoy BMX, Taekwondo and running FE with dear ‘ol Dad. My wife has a background in teaching and is currently a stay-at-home mom with aspirations to set up a youth program in our community. I have nearly 18 years with State Farm Insurance, with the last 11 years as an agent in Phoenix, Az.

David Newland, #229
(602)670-8994
dnewland49@msn.com

Doug Smock
12-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Insert applause here!!!!!!:thumbup:

sailr
12-01-2009, 05:52 PM
NIX on the full mill starts!

Bill-SOCAL
12-01-2009, 05:54 PM
-Simplify/Consolidate class offerings at FE Events.

-Continue to evolve to the nitro/gas racing format. I’d really like to see FE accept full mill starts and start working on an event structure that incorporates 4 rounds/day.

Do these two things and you'll be my hero for life :thumbup:

And condolences...... :doh: I mean, congratulations, on the new position :beerchug:

Darin Jordan
12-01-2009, 06:59 PM

I'm with Bill here... We've already proven that the Full-Mills not only work, but make racing MUCH more fun, fair, and competitive... ;)

raptor347
12-01-2009, 07:05 PM

Me three. Full mills are good, cuts down on the carnage.

Dave,
Congrats! Start running now baby, it's harder to hit a moving target:biggrin:.

highndry
12-01-2009, 07:33 PM
"Me three. Full mills are good, cuts down on the carnage."

Never really thought about it that way. Makes sense....

Doug Smock
12-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Full mills are good, cuts down on the carnage.

:iagree:

mike martin
12-01-2009, 09:53 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, David

thanks for stepping up

obrien
12-01-2009, 10:17 PM
maybe you can get the nitro/gas guys to be a bit more accepting of the FE guys down here in Florida.

AndyKunz
12-02-2009, 09:05 AM
This is really good to see. I started pushing for combining them probably 10 years ago. The last Propwash we see the Pres is on board, and now the FE Chair. Man, this is SATISFYING!

Andy

Darin Jordan
12-02-2009, 10:17 AM
District 8 is suppose to be considering offering two or three FE classes in their lineup next season... Likely P-Spec OPC and P-Spec Hydro for starters... others might be 1/10th or LSH...

All good! We just have to get out there and support them!

D. Newland
12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
maybe you can get the nitro/gas guys to be a bit more accepting of the FE guys down here in Florida.

Jeff-Probably not much I can do about it from Arizona, but I will tell you what worked for me and my association with the gas/nitro guys here.

Get known. Go to Jim's or Intwaters and pay attention to any gas/nitro guy that post. Pay attention to what they run. Go to their race and/or open practice and yack it up. Talk about their stuff. Help in the retrieval boat or corner marshall. Drop in a few FE bits of information throughout the day. Find the guys that are "open minded" (most are, believe me). Ask if you can make their next practice. Organize other FEr's in your area and either put on your own race, or ask to be put on their schedule. When practicing or racing, be very prepared and run clean and conservative.

This took me nearly 2 years and I now have a handful of nitro/gas guys actually helping me with my Az FE event. They always get an offer to drive my boats, too. There was I time when I "thought" they wouldn't accept FE. Not so...it was all my (mis)perception.

I will say this, though. Mixed racing isn't for everyone or every event. I know that. But, I strongly feel that the more opportunites FE racers have to race, they should snag it up. All we want to do (all of us) is lap buoys and have a great time w/our hobby.