PDA

View Full Version : Stripped bolt holes in motor

cobia5
08-24-2007, 05:59 PM
I tightened the bolt holes in the stock motor too much and they stripped. Any reccomendations on what to do?

I tried to take the motor apart to tap and increase thread size from 3mm to 4mm. After removing the small pins in the side of the motor, the top black metal cap or bottom metal cap of the motor casing would not come pop off. I tried pulling, prying, and unscrewing; nothing worked. I was careful not to apply too much pressure, as not to damage the motor casing (blue cylinder).
I do not want to tap a larger hole if I cannot remove the black top of the motor. The tolerances would be too close to the motor copper windings and magnets. I would never be able to get the metal shavings out.

Option 1 - Utilize the two existing unused 3mm bolt holes in the motor cap (located perpendicular and closer to the shaft than the current mounting holes) and drill corosponding holes in the motor mount. The only problem is, I would have to use small button head screws because they would reside behind the drive shaft coupling.

Option 2 - I could permanently JB Weld the motor directly to the motor mount, which would be cheaper than purchasing a new motor.

Right now I am leaning towards doing option 1 & 2 simultaneously for good measure.

Any suggestions?

Fluid
08-24-2007, 06:35 PM
It is difficult to make recommendations since you have not told us much about the motor. "Stock" has many meanings. Is it brushed or brushless (sounds like the latter)? What brand? How much is the motor worth?

The JB Weld idea is probably the easiest and cheapest, but we're in the dark here. Still, based on the limited information that is probably the best route.

Mich. Maniac
08-24-2007, 06:48 PM
isnt this an SV section of the forum?

Fast Guy
08-24-2007, 08:26 PM
I purchased a 3mm helicoil kit from my local fastner store. The helicoil is steel coil insert that replaces the threads. Worked like a charm. No dissassembly of the motor required. The screws that Aquacraft uses are too short.

cobia5
08-24-2007, 10:17 PM
The motor says "Aquacraft Brushless B36-56", which is the stock motor on the SV27.

My hardware store and LHS do not carry 3mm hardware, much less a helicoil kit.
Since I live in Pearland, TX (suburb of Houston) it seems that 3mm hardware would be easier to locate. I will have to go online to purchase the 3mm screws & possible 3mm helicoil kit. Does anyone have an online recommendation for me?

Thank you.

cobia5
08-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Utilizing the two extra mounting screw holes on the motor cap worked. I just drilled two extra holes in the motor mount bracket to accept the two additional screws. After the motor was mounted, I JB welded the edges of the bolt caps for added security (more stout that loctite). Tested the SV27 today and it was fast. I am breaking in a new set of Maxamps 2s 5000mah lipos.