PDA

View Full Version : Dual Pickups have been achived !

ncornacchi
11-29-2009, 07:33 AM
19567Thought I'd show you guys what I finally got done. I had a local guy duplicate the UL1 rudder to spec, but added a second water pickup. Now I can test the cooling to the motor and ESC separately with very lttle added drag. Boat was totaled, so I glassed the seams, foam filled the inside, made an aluminum turn fin backing plate, but epoxied it to the outside and bolted it through to the stock plate inside. The blue one was also a total, just painted it...Norm

ncornacchi
11-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Multiple pics wouldn't upload.....

longballlumber
11-29-2009, 09:26 AM
19567Thought I'd show you guys what I finally got done. I had a local guy duplicate the UL1 rudder to spec, but added a second water pickup. Now I can test the cooling to the motor and ESC separately with very lttle added drag. Boat was totaled, so I glassed the seams, foam filled the inside, made an aluminum turn fin backing plate, but epoxied it to the outside and bolted it through to the stock plate inside. The blue one was also a total, just painted it...Norm

Just an observation, make sure you are leaving a 3/16 gap between the drive dog and the strut. It looks like it's pushed up to the strut in your first picture.

Later
Ball

Jeff Wohlt
11-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Good job! I know you looked hard to get this done.

Report how well the water flow is when you can.

ncornacchi
11-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks Jeff, It did take a while......I was trying to figure out how to report amount of water is actually picking up. I'm a little concerned that the upper pickup may be a little high. I was thinking about rigging the rudder onto a boat that has thru-hull pickups to cool a stock motor and ESC, and have the rudder hoses just dump water into containers #1 and #2 in the boat and measure the water...

ncornacchi
11-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Ball, Thanks for heads up on the drive dog. I'm running a Wholts wire drive with a thrust bearing against the 7XL motor shaft. I didn't think that the slack was so critical with such a tight setup. I thought, "what is going to push forward where I actually need a gap at the drive dog and strut?" Bad Assumption?

longballlumber
11-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Ball, Thanks for heads up on the drive dog. I'm running a Wholts wire drive with a thrust bearing against the 7XL motor shaft. I didn't think that the slack was so critical with such a tight setup. I thought, "what is going to push forward where I actually need a gap at the drive dog and strut?" Bad Assumption?

Your right,

Since your running a wire drive, it's not that important.

Later

ncornacchi
12-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks Ball, had me second guessing myself.....Well, I was going to report the bad news, but haven't taken any pics yet...but here goes...
UL1 screamed for about 1 minute, then the magic smoke.....Took it back to the bench and found that the neg lead (factory soldered) had broken off and shorted out. made a mess, just finished painting this boat. I was pissed off when I saw the factory joint let go, but I had an eagle tree data logger in it at the time, so when I get a chance, I'll upload data to find out what happened....

Brushless55
12-14-2009, 02:53 PM
You said 7XL?
oh man, that thing will fly!