PDA

View Full Version : stainless props downside ?

properchopper
11-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Somebody please refresh my memory; what's the downside(s) of stainless props ?
Thanks !

Boatman
11-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Good question. I tend to like them. A bit harder to sharpen and polish but with my experience they hold a sharp edge easier and I feel more confident I cant bend them at all during installation. Brass sometimes I feel I may be bending a bit while tightening the lock nut. I have no science behind any of this.

Bill-SOCAL
11-28-2009, 11:17 PM
They are very difficult to tweak.

I like them however. They are stronger, hold their edge as well or better, and are less prone to being bent while handling, crappy launches, etc.

They sometimes cost more as well depending on the size and vendor.

properchopper
11-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks. Confirms what I've remembered. Reason I asked is that I really like the
P220 on my Vegas hydro way better than any others I've tried & I want to get some more Prathers for other applications as well. They seem to unload really well & look as if they're race-prepped/modified right out of the bag. :smile:

Jeff Wohlt
11-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Nothing wrong with them at all. Less rake and less lift than an octura but also does unload the motor better. Not as much cup and basically are already de-tongued.

I like all the Prather props....215 and 220. Some of the first props I ever bought because hobby shop had them. I also like the 225 but she is big.

teach
11-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Do they make any reverse rotation props in the mid 40mm range? I can't seem to find any kind of Prather charts.

properchopper
11-29-2009, 06:57 PM
No reverse Prathers that I've ever seen. OSE carries all the popular sizes.

egneg
11-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Do they make any reverse rotation props in the mid 40mm range? I can't seem to find any kind of Prather charts.

The only right hand props that I am aware of and are readily available are Octura, ABC, and Prop Shop (larger sizes only).

m4a1usr
11-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Somebody please refresh my memory; what's the downside(s) of stainless props ?
Thanks !

They are tougher to harden def not as easy as Be/Cu for SAW applications or where big power is used.

John

Punisher 67
11-30-2009, 02:57 AM
Sorry to high jack the thread

JOHN good to see you here WELCOME to the blue forum , yes I am like the wall mart greeter just for OSE

I have a few stainless props and do like their durability and toughness

Himalaya
12-02-2009, 05:28 AM
And there's one more :thumbup1: to add, they are non-toxic, contains no Beryllium like the Octura, safer to work on.