PDA

View Full Version : Twin Outrunners?

Brushless55
11-25-2009, 10:07 PM
I see motors getting smoked in these boats..
has anyone thought about trying some outrunners?
kv might be a bugger to match but...... :confused2:
twin outrunners could be a great thing in this boat.. :banana:

Rumdog
11-27-2009, 07:48 PM
I think that part of the problem is that Venom is suggesting people run 4s on these motors. They are clearly 3s motors at that kv rating. This along with props that are too large is a recipe for disaster!

Fluid
11-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I believe that Ryan is right. The stock motors have ~2850 Kv - that's far too high for 4S. Plus they are 380-sized motors, too small to handle high amperage/wattage. The props are relatively small, but then these are tiny motors. IMO the 'best' upgrade for performance is to a single 580-sized motor, or next-best and simplest to twin 380 motors of higher quality, like Neus or Lehners. I don't think that the large-sized Neus (1509, etc) will fit without major work.

RCprince
11-28-2009, 12:14 AM
How about a good ole' BJ motor? it's proven quality and the original 60 amp esc is more than adequate.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/prodimages/large__09_03_2008_14_42_proboat-PRB3310.jpg

Brushless55
11-28-2009, 01:02 AM
so are there some outrunners that could fit the build?
maybe 1600kv ..
don't want to get into a debate about running 4s or 3s on the stock motors cuz they suck, but 4s on some good outrunners could be very cool! :thumbup1:

Rumdog
11-28-2009, 01:46 AM
I truthfully don't know. I'm sure there is an outrunner that fits a 380 mount. A upgraded 380 size motor would be the EASIEST upgrade though. While keeping your water cooling simple. If I personally had the boat, i would tear out the electronics completely and add 36mm motors of my choice.

RayR
11-28-2009, 04:00 AM
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jetscreamer_1400_for_the_90mm_fans_2997_prd1.htm

All the best,

Ray

forescott
11-29-2009, 09:41 AM
I have the ekos and just got a set of ammo 380 sized motors to replace the stockers. I would love to use the 540 cans, but the motor mounts are too low and the 540 will hit the bottom of the hull. Especially with a water jacket. Gonna give the ammo 28-45-2700 a try. If that doesnt work, I'm gonna try a set of arc 28-47-1.5(2800kv) 4-pole motors recomended by a fellow ekos owner.

Chris Nicastro
12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
When running 4S with the stock motors you have to run the smaller props, 32mm dia. Thats been stated since the start and is OK. Is it a perfect set up? Yes and no but since we know people will try it anyway we took the initiative to say yes its been tested and it can do it but you need to know what your doing and you should work up to it. Its not a hammer down hold full power every lap around the pond set up so if thats a persons driving style that set up will not work for them. Also its stated in the manual to run 3S max. The 4S comments have been made on the forums and directed to the more avid boat crowd who tend to have more boating experience.
Another reason for the motors in the EKOS is cost and we decided to provide the best performance for the dollar we could so the product would be exciting to most of our target audience. The more experienced boaters will agree they never keep anything stock and always find ways to make anything go faster because stock is never good enough. Nothing wrong with that and that is the nature of the hobby anyway but its not a short coming of the product either.
In any case I'm interested to see what motor combos you guys test in the EKOS hull and how it works for you, speed, amps, etc.:thumbup:

Chris

Brushless55
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I you cannot hold the throttle at full tilt lap after lap, what is the use?

NitroVal
12-14-2009, 05:31 PM
I have the ekos and just got a set of ammo 380 sized motors to replace the stockers. I would love to use the 540 cans, but the motor mounts are too low and the 540 will hit the bottom of the hull. Especially with a water jacket. Gonna give the ammo 28-45-2700 a try. If that doesnt work, I'm gonna try a set of arc 28-47-1.5(2800kv) 4-pole motors recomended by a fellow ekos owner.

I have a pair of 540s in mine... 36mm x 60mm and they fit with room to walk around..

forescott
12-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Are you using the stock motor mounts? If so what did you do to make the motor hole spacing work?

NitroVal
12-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Nope, I had to rip the stock ones out and fiberglass in new ones..

Brushless55
12-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Nope, I had to rip the stock ones out and fiberglass in new ones..

What motors did you go with?

Simon.O.
01-01-2010, 03:57 AM
I you cannot hold the throttle at full tilt lap after lap, what is the use?
If you are running above the manufacturers specs then there is no defence for running lap after lap. Some of these setups are getting close to SAW or suicide for the components. There is little difference anyway.:tape:

I have a pair of 540s in mine... 36mm x 60mm and they fit with room to walk around..
I'm with Todd here, what have you got in there

What motors did you go with?
What is your setup now.
Motor, pack, esc, prop ??
I may even twin my bigger Cat which is similar in size to the Ekos...... if your setup is agreeable with my $$ :banana:

Brushless55
01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
If you are running above the manufacturers specs then there is no defence for running lap after lap. Some of these setups are getting close to SAW or suicide for the components. There is little difference anyway.:tape:

:

what I was going for is the fact venom says you can run 4s in these boats with a smaller prop, and then months later they come back to say, you cannot run these boats at WOT lap after lap...

NitroVal
01-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm with Todd here, what have you got in there

I did have twin Turnigy china-crap 2300kV motors running on 5S, pretty much for *!***!***!***!**s and grins. Made up over 60mph before one of them let loose. I will probably try some 13Ls or maybe some 8XLs next season..

what I was going for is the fact venom says you can run 4s in these boats with a smaller prop, and then months later they come back to say, you cannot run these boats at WOT lap after lap...

Chris simply stated if you are running 4S, to keep an eye on your temps. You wouldnt put your 16 year old kid behind the wheel of that 800hp Camaro you dumped your life savings into would you? If you're a newb to boating, stick with what the manual says.
But I guess since you've been bad mouthing this boat from the beginning, nothing will convince you otherwise, right?

Brushless55
01-02-2010, 07:52 PM
well I had one and sold it before I had issues with it and it's was a nice looking boat... good looking hardware
they guy I sold it to had issues with it on the second run on 3s
this is not a 800hp camaro that a 16 yearold it driving?:doh:
Like what was said and I'll say it again, venom said you can run 4s on this boat and it would run just fine months ago
and now months later after many people have had bad motors or escs, someone now is comming back to say no you cannot run this boat like what they said you could...

Rumdog
01-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Agreed. this is a rtr boat. Venom suggested that running 4s will get you awesome speed. They even have video out of them (the venom guys) running it on 4s. Clearly running this setup on 4s for any amount of time over one minute will eventually end in disaster.

bustitup
01-10-2010, 02:28 PM
How about a good ole' BJ motor? it's proven quality and the original 60 amp esc is more than adequate.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/prodimages/large__09_03_2008_14_42_proboat-PRB3310.jpg

very good choice...I am putting two of those in my maritimo 6s on each one but not the stock esc foe me...I may try two of the 120amp turnigy's

Drag Boat Bob
01-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Well, I finally received my replacement motor from Venom after 4 months. No notification, communication or paperwork of any kind. It just showed up.

Unfortunately you cannot blow much through the water jacket on this one either, which figures. I have totally given up on Venom. They talk a great story on the forums, but my personal experience with their email communication can be summed up in one word, "denial". It is always the users fault due to inexperience or failure of some kind.

My one 2 min run on 3S with the EKOS was so long ago and produced so many negative feelings that it is still in the box where it will remain until I totally gut it with new hardware.

My UL-1, with all of the issues it came with, produced none of the negative experiences that I have had with the EKOS and is still a fun boat.

forescott
01-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Since replacing my stock motors with ammo 2700kv 380 sized motors, I am very happy with mine. I had to buy the water jackets and different motor couplers, But have run it on 4s maybe 4 or 5 times with no issues.(Keeping run times to 3-4 minutes tops) So far a top speed of 46.7mph. I feel pretty confident I can run this setup on 3s all day long without any issues. Cost= about 150-bucks total. The stock motors are cheap! Good luck with your build!

Brushless55
01-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Well, I finally received my replacement motor from Venom after 4 months. No notification, communication or paperwork of any kind. It just showed up.

Unfortunately you cannot blow much through the water jacket on this one either, which figures. I have totally given up on Venom. They talk a great story on the forums, but my personal experience with their email communication can be summed up in one word, "denial". It is always the users fault due to inexperience or failure of some kind.
My one 2 min run on 3S with the EKOS was so long ago and produced so many negative feelings that it is still in the box where it will remain until I totally gut it with new hardware.

My UL-1, with all of the issues it came with, produced none of the negative experiences that I have had with the EKOS and is still a fun boat.

sorry to hear it took so long to get it!
strange how all the hype from them but no true manufacture backup..
but they were very fast at letting us all know, when something new like props came out for it to make the sale! :doh:
what are your plans for it?

Drag Boat Bob
01-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Initially I wanted to try and use the 3S batteries I purchased to run it (with the ARC 28:58mm motors), but I'm not sure they will produce the performance I was looking for. I guess the best way to get this thing to move is remove/replace the motor mounts and move to a larger motor.

I am still working on the pickle and having fun with the Novarossi in the Vegas. I really want to break the 60mph barrier, but keeping the Vegas on the water is a challenge.

I'm in no hurry with the EKOS (sunken cost at this point). I thought maybe some others (like NitroVal) would have experimented with the hull and report a good motor combination, but so far not many are still running...

I'm open to suggestions. We'll see...

Drag Boat Bob
01-14-2010, 01:00 AM
[QUOTE=Brushless55;151943]
but they were very fast at letting us all know, when something new like props came out for it to make the sale! :doh:QUOTE]

Yeah, I have two of the red ones... still in the bag...

Brushless55
01-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Initially I wanted to try and use the 3S batteries I purchased to run it (with the ARC 28:58mm motors), but I'm not sure they will produce the performance I was looking for. I guess the best way to get this thing to move is remove/replace the motor mounts and move to a larger motor.

I am still working on the pickle and having fun with the Novarossi in the Vegas. I really want to break the 60mph barrier, but keeping the Vegas on the water is a challenge.
I'm in no hurry with the EKOS (sunken cost at this point). I thought maybe some others (like NitroVal) would have experimented with the hull and report a good motor combination, but so far not many are still running...

I'm open to suggestions. We'll see...

Do you have any videos of it running, and what motor do you have in it?
I have two MVs and thought about doing brushless but my UL-1 is plenty and looking to do a brushless 40 size hydro to race this season..
So I'm going to sell the MVs

Bob Bighinatti
01-14-2010, 07:33 PM

I know what it feels like 4 to 6 months and a nasty email after phone calls did not worke I got my $160 3s 5000mha lipo back in the middle of winter .It was out of stock I will buy batts from Hobby city
Bob Big:beerchug::beerchug:

NitroVal
01-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Im too cheap to buy decent motors for mine. Maybe when the weather warms up I may try some Fiegao's. DBB, do you still need another motor? I think one of my stock ones is still good and I'll just give it to you. Otherwise, I would just ditch the stockers and bolt in some Ammo or even some Fiegao 380 12L's...

Brushless55
01-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Im too cheap to buy decent motors for mine. Maybe when the weather warms up I may try some Fiegao's. DBB, do you still need another motor? I think one of my stock ones is still good and I'll just give it to you. Otherwise, I would just ditch the stockers and bolt in some Ammo or even some Fiegao 380 12L's...

Val, I thought you have a good setup now..
what happend? :huh:

NitroVal
01-15-2010, 12:52 AM
It was good for about five minutes... But $25 2300kV motors on 5S wont last forever. It got me to the goal I wanted, but that was it, kind of one of those "lets see what happens" moments..

Brushless55
01-15-2010, 12:59 AM
It was good for about five minutes... But $25 2300kV motors on 5S wont last forever. It got me to the goal I wanted, but that was it, kind of one of those "lets see what happens" moments..

Oh, for some reason I thought you had a solid boat now..
What are you trying next with it?
Kinda wish I didn't get rid of mine cuz is was a sexy looking CAT!
but my friend traded me a Gas KOS for it.. :hug1:

NitroVal
01-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Oh, its definitely a solid boat. The Etti 150's fit like a glove, 5S Nue batt's barely fit in it. Im just playing around with it. Its a toy, so Im not taking it too seriously. I'm gonna upgrade the drives next, try and get either piano wire or some thicker cables in there..

Drag Boat Bob
01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Do you have any videos of it running, and what motor do you have in it?I have two MVs and thought about doing brushless but my UL-1 is plenty and looking to do a brushless 40 size hydro to race this season..
So I'm going to sell the MVs

Sorry no video ( I really need to get a video camera; and a young girl in a swimsuit to take pictures...lol..)

The motor is a Novarossi .21. Attached is a shot of the install in the early stages.

Drag Boat Bob
01-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the offer NitroVal (very generous of you), but as you have discovered, this boat is better off with new (Non-Venom) hardware. I am still considering the ARC 28:58 motor, but we'll see.

Brushless55
01-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Sorry no video ( I really need to get a video camera; and a young girl in a swimsuit to take pictures...lol..)

The motor is a Novarossi .21. Attached is a shot of the install in the early stages.

Drag Boat Bob, that sucker looks like it will really move! :rockon2: