PDA

View Full Version : Messing with water Jacket for Castle Creations 1515

Steven Vaccaro
11-20-2009, 10:39 PM
I finally snuck some time to do some testing on ideas on fitting a jacket to the Castle 1515 motor.

dB8iey86mL8

It does work great. But dont suggest doing it, I hope David and I can have one thats specifically made for the motor soon.

Diegoboy
11-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Nice idea, Love the accent too!:biggrin:

Steven Vaccaro
11-20-2009, 11:28 PM
I hate the sound of my voice.

Diegoboy
11-20-2009, 11:30 PM
I think most of us do. I know I do.:zip-up:

sailr
11-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Looks like it slips on awfully easy! Are you sure that's gonna seal?

Steven Vaccaro
11-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Looks like it slips on awfully easy! Are you sure that's gonna seal?

It works good. BUT like I said, I wouldn't try it. Its a hack of a sorts. Just a test to get the real one going. I will post a working video of it in action.

sailr
11-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Sounds good!

Steven Vaccaro
11-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Jim, just to set things straight, this is for test purposes only. I would NOT suggest anyone go out and do this. Its not 100% right. David and I are just working on ways to get a water jacket on this motor. And this was one of my thoughts.

Here it is under pressure.

4ejlUspCpCg

Jeepers
11-21-2009, 05:05 AM
now put your finger over the outlet to build some pressure.:biggrin:

bustitup
11-21-2009, 08:51 AM
I did this mod long time ago....it works awesome...only difference is after assembling the unit I ran a small bead of silicone around both ends where the o ring is visible

dont be skeeerd

you couldnt get it to leak if you tried

http://www.rgcbuilders.net/mm10.jpg

http://www.rgcbuilders.net/mm5.jpg

bustitup
11-21-2009, 08:56 AM
btw this is a fantastic motor that I feel is every bit as good as the Nue 1515/1y
its 2200kv ....I have owned the 1515/1y and again feel that this motor performs identical JMHO

steve has them in stock also

sailr
11-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I would be curious if it actually uses the same magnets and bearings as the NEU. Can't imagine it does with the difference in price.

bustitup
11-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I would be curious if it actually uses the same magnets and bearings as the NEU. Can't imagine it does with the difference in price.

Product ID: cas-2200kv-motor
CastleCreations 2200kv Monster Motor
In Stock: 1 Details

This is the Neu Castle 2200KV Brushless

Motor High quality over-sized ABEC-1 bearings.
Sintered Neodymium magnets.
Superior electromagnetic design.

Darin Jordan
11-21-2009, 10:16 AM

If it means anything... Castle as licensed the Neu design from Steve Neu... I'd suspect they are very similiar... ;)

bustitup
11-21-2009, 10:32 AM
If it means anything... Castle as licensed the Neu design from Steve Neu... I'd suspect they are very similiar... ;)

I would think if neu let them put there name on it...its a great product

people are scared of it for FE.....but its so SIMPLE modify with a couple o-rings and a lil silicone

Steven Vaccaro
11-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Nice job with the kb45 jacket!

When we are done I hope to have a jacket that doesn't use any glue. Its really just a reversed water jacket. Instead of the oring slots on cut into the jacket, they are on the motor.

raptor347
11-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Well, I've had them both apart (neu and cc). The CC motor looks fantastic. In fact internally they appear nearly identical. The CC rotor is kevlar wrapped.

We'll find out soon:biggrin:. The CC1515 2200 is getting stuffed in my new P-hydro. This is going to be fun.

I do have an announcement. I recieved a great offer from the folks at Castle. I've joined the Castle Creations team to help develop products for the FE world. Let the fun begin.

bustitup
11-21-2009, 03:16 PM
well well well its snowing at the castle

properchopper
11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I do have an announcement. I recieved a great offer from the folks at Castle. I've joined the Castle Creations team to help develop products for the FE world. Let the fun begin.

Great stuff !! Congrat's. Awesome news for FE. Get busy & show no mercy :buttrock:

Steven Vaccaro
11-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Good job Brian.

I will make an "assumption" on the cost difference.
I would gather the Castle motor is more of a mass production type of motor. The Neu motors are more of a one or few at a time type of deal. Not that there is anything wrong with that. As we all know, its just cheaper to make a bunch of something at one time.

raptor347
11-21-2009, 05:07 PM
We're never going to see CC build the number of different winds and sizes that Neu does. Castle will focus on motors with a wide range of applications and build a bunch of them. Yes, they are production motors but the cost difference is in the numbers not the quality.

I was really happy when I opened it up and looked around inside. The windings look great, not the usual wire found in the cheap motors. Of course, these aren't cheap motors. They don't carry the price tag of a Neu or Lehner, but they aren't in the feigao range either.

The quality of the motors is excellent. The 1515 2200 CC motor is a little bigger and heavier than the Neu 1515/1y. The CC motor was designed to hold up to the abuse of 1/8 scale buggies so a little extra material was in order.

I think for our application, these will be fantastic (once Steven builds us a cooling jacket for it:biggrin:). I know what I'm going to run in my P boats next season.

Unsullied_Spy
11-21-2009, 05:26 PM
The CC Neu motors are actually made in China, rather than the U.S. so they are cheaper to manufacture. I imagine that the bulk they deal with helps keep the cost down as well. Patrick del Castillo (President/CEO of Castle Creations) said that their magnets are optimized for the Wye wind and they will never do a Delta wind motor. The CC Neu motors have oversized bearings, the wires coming out the end are trimmable (not extensions of the coils), are rebuildable, cheap, and every bit as good as the real deal. You can pick them up on eBay for $100-$150 and they will mop the floor with a Feigao XL motor and if you are into SAW runs they are rated to handle up to 60,000 RPM.

IMO the KV is a bit high for boating, but Castle is going to be releasing a number of new Neu-style motors very soon and hopefully they find their way into the boating world quickly.

Jesse J
11-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I hate the sound of my voice.

I think most of us do. I know I do.:zip-up:

Now Danny don't go speaking for most of us. I don't hate Steven's voice even if you do... :bounce:

bustitup
11-22-2009, 12:17 PM
check this little jewl out..for $20 its pretty nice

http://cgi.ebay.com/CASTLE-BRUSHLESS-MOTOR-FAN-REVO-8IGHT-FLUX-TEKIN-NOVAK_W0QQitemZ290372911096QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439b92fff8

Jesse J
11-22-2009, 12:35 PM
looks like it fits 1.5 - 1.75" motors... my Feigao is 1.9" diameter... Can't get ebay let me ask the dealer a question about this; have you tried one Nick? Any idea if it will work with the 1.9" cans? If so, I might try one in my Summit.

bustitup
11-22-2009, 04:01 PM
looks like it fits 1.5 - 1.75" motors... my Feigao is 1.9" diameter... Can't get ebay let me ask the dealer a question about this; have you tried one Nick? Any idea if it will work with the 1.9" cans? If so, I might try one in my Summit.

J I know nothing about this gadget but can tell you this....a feigao l or xl can is smaller in diameter than a cc neu motor so i would say yes the fan will work....it seems the air would just blow out the ends...its nicer than just using a fan over the top of the motor because it would keep the air contained to directly around the motor...hence being more effient

Steven Vaccaro
12-10-2009, 08:08 AM
The Castle 1515 jacket is now done.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=11660&highlight=1515