PDA

View Full Version : Seaking 180 first run report

properchopper
11-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Since experiencing a slight thermal issue with the CC 240LV on the 31" H&M [ Neu 15151Y/4S2P/M545]; I decided to try the Seaking 180 I just got from Sailr. Here's my first impressions/results :

1) Sturdy looking, with heavy wires, looks waterproof/resistant. I corrosion X'd the outside exposed contacts just in case, 'tho.

2) Included program card { It's a box } was a piece of cake to use; makes pit-programming a snap [ no Computer + link needed lakeside ]

3) @ 1.5-min. all-out running : 115 degrees. Nice.

4) Throttle curve was VERY VERY nice.

5) Cooling inlets/outlets are 90 deg. from front/back. Could be tough to plumb in narrow tubs. No problem with monos/cats/hydros

I really like this SC, especially for the price. With claimed 180 A continuous/ 360 A burst, it's a great deal, especially if it holds up over time. :thumbup:

RIPFENCE
11-20-2009, 07:40 PM
i have a seaking 180 and the new turnigy version after the recall..i have not had any issues with mine and i have pushed them with my noob like setups..gotta love that simple program card...thats the best thing..i am glad my etti 150 grenaded because i could not stand programming that thing

sailr
11-20-2009, 07:49 PM
I mounted mine the other way, thus the water inlet/outlet are in line with the centerline of the boat. EASY to hook up!

sailr
11-20-2009, 07:50 PM
I have at least ONE Seaking 180 left to the first taker. The guy who reserved it won't answer the emails. Price is $115 including the program box and insured shipping in the U.S.A. Outside the U.S., add $20.

SOLD!

tth
11-21-2009, 01:05 AM
I will take it Jim ...... sent you a PM

ozzie-crawl
11-21-2009, 01:08 AM
properchopper was 115 deg at the caps or cooling plate ?

Ub Hauled
11-21-2009, 01:25 AM
Here is the video guys...

u2x6cyQPrwk

properchopper
11-21-2009, 01:31 AM
Scott, I seem to recall that it was both. The electronics are housed in a plastic box underneath the cooling plate, so the board temp would likely have been higher. Next time I'll temp-scan the underside to get more data. Jan filmed the scan, & when he posts the vid it'll show the actual temps.

ozzie-crawl
11-21-2009, 01:33 AM
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Ub Hauled
11-21-2009, 01:39 AM
there it goes ;)

rRB-sPDoi18

ozzie-crawl
11-21-2009, 01:40 AM
Scott, I seem to recall that it was both. The electronics are housed in a plastic box underneath the cooling plate, so the board temp would likely have been higher. Next time I'll temp-scan the underside to get more data. Jan filmed the scan, & when he posts the vid it'll show the actual temps.

thanks for that :thumbup:
was running my meanmachine last weekend with a 8xl 4s 1p m545
normally temps at the cap are around 120-125 after 1.5 min on a mystery 200a non water cooled just a small fan
it has been fine till last weekend till i blew the esc, my run was just over 1.5 min and i had just put it back togethor after a paint job
just debating if its worth trying a 180a turnigy as i can get them for $89

Ub Hauled
11-21-2009, 01:45 AM
wow $89 AUS? fantastic!

ozzie-crawl
11-21-2009, 01:49 AM
lol no $89 u.s or $97 a.u
still not bad for a 180 amp water cooled esc that can be programed with a $8 box :rockon2:

Ub Hauled
11-21-2009, 01:51 AM
still not bad for a 180 amp water cooled esc that can be programed with a $8 box :rockon2:

seriously!

ozzie-crawl
11-21-2009, 01:53 AM
yea do you have a hobby king account ? once i sign in it drops from $129 down to $89

Ub Hauled
11-21-2009, 02:09 AM
yup... just saw it....
video #2 uploaded

properchopper
11-21-2009, 02:35 AM
The Turnigy-labeled SC on HK's site seems identical to the Seaking, BUT the HK programming card that they show only has Running Mode, Drag Brake Force, and LVC. The Hobbywing-branded card that I got with my SC from Jim has :
Running mode, Cell count, LVC, and a choice of 8 timing values. Mo' better ! :thumbup:

ozzie-crawl
11-21-2009, 02:53 AM
i had a seaking one it does allow timing change it just has a diffrent sticker i think
$115 with programing card shipped thats a good deal
have they fixed the low voltage cut off issue ? or was that maybe just the 120s

Jeepers
11-21-2009, 03:58 AM
[QUOTE=ozzie-crawl;140826]thanks for that :thumbup:
was running my meanmachine last weekend with a 8xl 4s 1p m545= QUOTE]

hmm thats alot of prop for an 8xl... no wonder the esc went poof.

ozzie-crawl
11-21-2009, 04:02 AM
yes maybe a bit to much :doh: but it sure was fun and got it really moving. probably be okay for 1 minute run, i just ran it a bit to long

Jeepers
11-21-2009, 04:10 AM
yes maybe a bit to much :doh: but it sure was fun and got it really moving. probably be okay for 1 minute run, i just ran it a bit to long

440/3 works good on that motor. I liked it anyway..:smile:

Jeepers
11-21-2009, 04:11 AM
Since experiencing a slight thermal issue with the CC 240LV on the 31" H&M [ Neu 15151Y/4S2P/M545]; I decided to try the Seaking 180 I just got from Sailr. Here's my first impressions/results :

1) Sturdy looking, with heavy wires, looks waterproof/resistant. I corrosion X'd the outside exposed contacts just in case, 'tho.

2) Included program card { It's a box } was a piece of cake to use; makes pit-programming a snap [ no Computer + link needed lakeside ]

3) @ 1.5-min. all-out running : 115 degrees. Nice.

4) Throttle curve was VERY VERY nice.

5) Cooling inlets/outlets are 90 deg. from front/back. Could be tough to plumb in narrow tubs. No problem with monos/cats/hydros

I really like this SC, especially for the price. With claimed 180 A continuous/ 360 A burst, it's a great deal, especially if it holds up over time. :thumbup:

these look nice were do you get them?

ozzie-crawl
11-21-2009, 04:26 AM
i dont want to jack properchoppers thread but yes i normally run a
m440/3 or a pranther 215
they m545 has been okay, i think the problem was were i run is usally fairly rough water and the MM runs very well, but the day i was running the water was rather flat but there was a very high wind running across the surface, the boat goes well when running with the wind but against it the wind rams to much air up the tunnel causing the rear to lift (small hop) causing the prop to load and unload
this is my theory any way as every other time were the water is choppy and no huge wind blowing it runs fine with temps at the caps and end motor bearing around 120-125 deg after 1.5 min run

ozzie-crawl
11-21-2009, 04:29 AM
hobby king http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8937&Product_Name=Turnigy_Marine_180A_Brushless_Boat_ES C
but if sailer has any more he has them for $115 posted with a programing box
if im correct

bustitup
11-21-2009, 09:08 AM

if you are refering to the price from hobby city for frequent members how do you get it shipped for free?

my price is $89 also but its 20 bucks to ship it to usa

bustitup
11-21-2009, 09:12 AM
there it goes ;)

rRB-sPDoi18

I am curious as to why you refer to the tx as the "crappy" tactic

sailr
11-21-2009, 09:22 AM
You got it. Sold to TTH

I "MAY" have more. Still waiting for responses.

I will take it Jim ...... sent you a PM

sailr
11-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah! I resemble that remark:bounce:. I use Tactic radios and they are GREAT. No, they are not a computer radio but 'back in the day' we didn't have them and we learned to set the boats up mechanically. EASY EASY EASY! I especially like the fact that the tactic receiver has NO ANTENNA! Hoooray!

bustitup
11-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah! I resemble that remark:bounce:. I use Tactic radios and they are GREAT. No, they are not a computer radio but 'back in the day' we didn't have them and we learned to set the boats up mechanically. EASY EASY EASY! I especially like the fact that the tactic receiver has NO ANTENNA! Hoooray!

yes I love my tactic after using spektrum dx3.0 and having issues with runaway boats

for any amount of money I find it works great and yes no antenna is thick thick iceing

I'm just wondering if chopper knows something that we havnt discovered yet about the tactic

sailr
11-21-2009, 09:29 AM
You are correct but that price is shipped in the U.S. If outside the U.S., you need to add $20.

hobby king http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8937&Product_Name=Turnigy_Marine_180A_Brushless_Boat_ES C
but if sailer has any more he has them for $115 posted with a programing box
if im correct

properchopper
11-21-2009, 09:33 AM

Actually, as soon as I said it, I realized that it wasn't very cool or fair to refer to it that way. [I'm running the Tactic Tx/Rx in six boats while my Fasst is gathering dust on the shelf.] The only two beefs I have with it is : the trim pots are somewhat non-linear, and without model-memory I need to fuss with the trims every time I put a boat in the water- I usually bring six boats to the lake. I have had 3 Rx's fail, but Tower has warranteed them every time. It's very good for the money, obviously !

bustitup
11-21-2009, 09:43 AM
LOL you got to watch what you say on camera dude.....lol just ask Obama

when you say rx failure ..they just quit, nothing?

Actually, as soon as I said it, I realized that it wasn't very cool or fair to refer to it that way. [I'm running the Tactic Tx/Rx in six boats while my Fasst is gathering dust on the shelf.] The only two beefs I have with it is : the trim pots are somewhat non-linear, and without model-memory I need to fuss with the trims every time I put a boat in the water- I usually bring six boats to the lake. I have had 3 Rx's fail, but Tower has warranteed them every time. It's very good for the money, obviously !

properchopper
11-21-2009, 09:56 AM

To make amends for my out-of-line statement about the Tactic, I'll wear the Dunce-Cap again. [ It's actually an experimental winch-cover hangover cure :crying:][ And no, it didn't help ]

properchopper
11-21-2009, 10:18 AM
LOL you got to watch what you say on camera dude.....lol just ask Obama

Roger That !

when you say rx failure ..they just quit, nothing?

One caught fire and melted. One Sizzled. One Quit & smelled funny. In all cases I tend to believe that the power supplied by the CC BEC I was using was too much for the Rx - even 'tho I programmed the BEC to 5.8 volts, which is what the UL-1 SC puts out and the Tactic comes with the RTR UL-1. I'm now using the internal BEC's with all but one Tactic-equipped boats. I also suspect some water intrusion could have contributed to the failures even 'tho I corrosion-X'd them.

properchopper
11-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I now enclose the Rx's in these plastic boxes; one is from Office Depot-.99 cents, the other is a box a servo came in. Won't survive submersion, but keeps the spray/slosh off the Rx. Never had much luck with balloons. Since these failures, I've fixed all the small leaks & all boats are now bone-dry.

tth
11-21-2009, 10:54 AM
A bone dry boat is the best solution. I like to use dp270. That stuff is awsome!

sailr
11-21-2009, 10:57 AM
The prog box HC is selling is for cars and the Marine ESC won't even recognize most of the features.

$89 +8+20 = $117 and the prog box will be the wrong one.

I believe I priced mine fairly. No matter, they are all gone and thanks to everyone!

The Turnigy-labeled SC on HK's site seems identical to the Seaking, BUT the HK programming card that they show only has Running Mode, Drag Brake Force, and LVC. The Hobbywing-branded card that I got with my SC from Jim has :
Running mode, Cell count, LVC, and a choice of 8 timing values. Mo' better ! :thumbup:

sailr
11-21-2009, 10:58 AM
:laugh:Love that pic! I hear Santa's looking for a few good elves! Haaar, couldn't resist!

To make amends for my out-of-line statement about the Tactic, I'll wear the Dunce-Cap again. [ It's actually an experimental winch-cover hangover cure :crying:][ And no, it didn't help ]

properchopper
11-21-2009, 11:10 AM
The prog box HC is selling is for cars and the Marine ESC won't even recognize most of the features.

I believe I priced mine fairly. No matter, they are all gone and thanks to everyone!

Thank you too, Jim.

bustitup
11-21-2009, 11:19 AM

yup you are right sailr...beleive i am the cheapest sob in the forums and yous was the best deal for sure

plus the fact when they all start smoking we dont have to fuss with china,,,,we can rent a bus and all just show up in your front yard.....

:just-kidding:

properchopper
11-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I agree about the bus !! :beerchug:

Anbjorn
11-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Thank you too, Jim.

A thank you from me too. The two 180's will be run HARD and if they survive they will probably be among the fastest of its kind :-)

Heath M
11-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Very cool Tony, and what fantastic water for running on, I hope our lake is as calm as that today.
Ps ...you ever thought of being a voice double for Tommy Chong :banana:
Just kidding :)

Heath

Ub Hauled
11-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Very cool Tony, and what fantastic water for running on, I hope our lake is as calm as that today.
Ps ...you ever thought of being a voice double for Tommy Chong :banana:
Just kidding :)

Heath

Don't apologize! He did some VO's for Chong... on some not so main stream movies, HAHAHAHAHHA.

sailr
11-21-2009, 06:53 PM
:help:Eeeeeeeeeek! Guess I'm gonna need some security!:spy:

yup you are right sailr...beleive i am the cheapest sob in the forums and yous was the best deal for sure

plus the fact when they all start smoking we dont have to fuss with china,,,,we can rent a bus and all just show up in your front yard.....

ozzie-crawl
11-21-2009, 07:57 PM
no i didnt include shipping, living in the land down under all rc parts are brought from overseas. sails deal was a great one for those in the u.s

properchopper
11-21-2009, 08:11 PM
:help:Eeeeeeeeeek! Guess I'm gonna need some security!:spy:

Not to worry- I don't like buses ever since I had to ride to school on the little one !
If mine fails, I'll just mail it back to you- (with a jar of Vaseline). :just-kidding:

sailr
12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
One of my buyers didn't follow through so I have ONE (1) of the new revamped Seaking 180A ESC's left! Price including the program box is $115 shipped and insured in the U.S.A. Outside the U.S.A. add $20.

I have SIX of the 120A's for $100 including the program box, shipped and insured in the USA. Add $20 for outside the USA

PM me for paypal info.

Csaari77
12-01-2009, 12:45 PM
PM sent Sailr

sailr
12-01-2009, 05:24 PM
The LAST 180A sold. Still have the 120A's.

Himalaya
12-02-2009, 05:16 AM
My second 180A has run flawlessly for a year, excluding the freezing seasons of course. I am eagerly expecting a HV version but they told me they've thought about it but has no schedule.

westbeach
01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Sailr, do you still have any of the 120A with the p-box left? Thanks

I have SIX of the 120A's for $100 including the program box, shipped and insured in the USA. Add $20 for outside the USA

PM me for paypal info.

sailr
01-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Sorry, all sold out.

Sailr, do you still have any of the 120A with the p-box left? Thanks

andym
01-10-2010, 07:52 PM
sailr are you getting more 180's in with the prog box ???

sailr
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Not unless business picks up a lot. I have to order a minimum of 50 pieces to be able to buy direct from the factory. Big investment.

sailr are you getting more 180's in with the prog box ???

properchopper
01-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think my Seaking 180 is a nice speedy for the money, BUT today the BEC circuit quit. It works fine with a rx pack 'tho. Oh well.:crying:

Rumdog
01-10-2010, 09:46 PM
I never use the built in bec if i'm running over 3s on ANY esc.