PDA

View Full Version : New version UL-1 turn fin issue, need help...

LiPo Power
11-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, I was hoping this won’t happen to my boat but here we go again. I made my UL-1 purchase sometime in June and had my first run in July 2009. This is the new improved version of fixed turn fin area Ul-1. I was waiting for this boat to be available and got one of the first units available from retailer shelf after the improvements delay.
It was great for the most part of the season. I am not heavy duty racer. I like fun runs mostly. Never had a single contact with another boat or object when having lots of fun with this boat. No physical damage at all. Treating this boat with so much care it is not funny. Now little disappointed…
One of my friends told me to keep my eye on the turn fin hull area just in case.
Guess what? My hull has crack along the edge of it around 2 inches. It looks like the mounting area of the turn fin is now way stronger than the rest of the hull and it won’t cooperate with the hull so something has to give and it’s cracking along the bottom edge. I would like to act quickly so this crack won’t go any further.
This boat is still under 1 year warranty. Before I go ahead with fixing it can someone tell me please if I should contact my place of purchase first to see if I have any warranty options or maybe I should better contact Aquacraft directly first?
Please let me know what you guys think I should do first?

Raydee
11-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I would send it back for a new hull...but that is just me.

longballlumber
11-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Are you collecting water in the hull after a run or a days worth of runs?

Doby
11-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Please let me know what you guys think I should do first?

Stop hitting things when you run your boat:rofl:

Mine's doing the same thing. I think its just minor stress cracks in the paint.

I put some CA on it and it seems to have stopped.

The actual turn fin area is still solid as a rock though.

Now quit whining........:crying::crying:

LiPo Power
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Are you collecting water in the hull after a run or a days worth of runs?

No, there is no water yet but after a while who knows where this process of cracking will stop.
Robert

LiPo Power
11-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Stop hitting things when you run your boat:rofl:

Mine's doing the same thing. I think its just minor stress cracks in the paint.

I put some CA on it and it seems to have stopped.

The actual turn fin area is still solid as a rock though.

Now quit whining........:crying::crying:

Doby
I like this forum because people are talking friendly about many different issues and other staff. Why should I put CA if I may have other options? It is cracking on my boat, your boat and who knows how many more boats out there. Guys need to know this staff. If this is stress cracking, obviously this area is faulty and it has to be fixed. The rock solid turn fin area is fixed I know for sure but transition between it and the hull in that corner is week. I am doing this so other people can see it and maybe develop proper solution to it ahead of time, just in case.
If fixing it is my only option than I will do it for sure because I do not see myself running next season without UL-1. For now I would like to see what other people have to say about this, that’s all. Thanks for your respond anyways…:thumbup1:
Robert

Doby
11-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Show me one boat made by anyone that eventually does not develop stress cracks somewhere. They all do.

It does not always mean there is a design flaw.

longballlumber
11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I would say it's only a surface crack and it's nothing to worry about. Mine has several surface cracks that I am not too worried about. If the hull was taking on water, that is when I would be concerned.

LiPo Power
11-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, maybe this is nothing to worry about and maybe stress cracks are not design flaw ( I cant believe Doby thinks that way about stress cracks :doh:) I will try to see what my options are and let you guys know. I peronally think stress cracks in this area should not exist.
Cheers
Robert

Doby
11-16-2009, 01:22 PM
You worry to much:beerchug:

Grimracer
11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Question

if one might expect to see a stress crack on a fiberglass hydroplane hull.. where would one expect to see it?

But.. as you know.. send it in and based on what they see its likely you will see a new one. The people at Hobby Services are always happy to help!

ROCK ON

Grim

Jeff Wohlt
11-16-2009, 02:39 PM
I have stress cracks on my real bassboat running a 150hp and I never worry about it. Gelcoat will crack but that is it.

I would just do some CA thin on it and sand it down a bit.

LiPo Power
11-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Question

if one might expect to see a stress crack on a fiberglass hydroplane hull.. where would one expect to see it?

But.. as you know.. send it in and based on what they see its likely you will see a new one. The people at Hobby Services are always happy to help!

ROCK ON

Grim

Thank You Mr Zaborowski
I am talking to customer support about this right now. This will be consider as stress crack on the gel coat. I understand stress cracks may show up many places. I have sail boat that is few years old and see them on the top all the time. Now if I see crack on the bottom of my boat that would raise my concern and here is where I am coming from. My worry is not to get new boat. I just like to be on the safe side. I see most of the guys including you are suggesting not to panic on this issue and that is what I am going to do. I am new to boats and this was my first summer doing having lots of fun with UL-1. I see many posts here of people talking lots about this turn fin area so you have to understand my concern. I will fix this by applying epoxy and simply keep my eye on it from now on.
Thank You for respond
Robert
PS
I think I love my boat too much :biggrin:

LiPo Power
11-17-2009, 12:11 AM
I have stress cracks on my real bassboat running a 150hp and I never worry about it. Gelcoat will crack but that is it.

I would just do some CA thin on it and sand it down a bit.

Thanks
Any pics of your boat?
Here is mine...

Jeff Wohlt
11-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Here it is. Same boat but I run a 150 Johnson. 24" raker prop. Runs close to 70 mph.

tomcraig
11-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Is there a way to tell if I have a new improved boat or one of the original weak boats. I just purchased it Nov 14 but the box was covered in dust and not on display in the store. They had to back in the warehouse to get it.

LiPo Power
11-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Is there a way to tell if I have a new improved boat or one of the original weak boats. I just purchased it Nov 14 but the box was covered in dust and not on display in the store. They had to back in the warehouse to get it.

My boat was purchase with the improvements. I had to wait for it a while but it is the new version for sure.
Robert

tomcraig
11-17-2009, 01:04 PM
How do you tell the difference between old and improved

LiPo Power
11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
How do you tell the difference between old and improved

... if you have strong spot light look at the fin section using it and you will see strong reinforcement.... Plus there was a huge gap in available stock everywhere and the new version came out. In the box you will find extra cooling jacket rings and gaskets, that was not available in the older original version, plus they told me it is the new one... :biggrin:

tomcraig
11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
I did not get the extra gaskets and or O rings in the box and the paperwork to join the two model associations is for 2008, I am betting I got an old leftover one
Thanks Tom

LiPo Power
11-18-2009, 01:35 PM
I did not get the extra gaskets and or O rings in the box and the paperwork to join the two model associations is for 2008, I am betting I got an old leftover one
Thanks Tom

Well ask the place you got it from. They shoud know. Maybe in some of the new models there was no reason to put corrected parts for the cooling jacket. Maybe your model allready had the new no leak jacket installed on the motor.
That is all I can help.
Robert