PDA

View Full Version : My sv hull cracked-just paint or in fiberglass

Bart Marshall
08-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Just the second time out flipped my sv at speed landing upside down..I have cracks along both sides about 12" long. I can see a white line along the inside of the cracks and the sides bow out slightly when downword preasue is applied. How common is this and is it just a paint problem or a fiberglass problem. I had z poxed everything-installed ose ajustable trim tabs and water jacket, 2nd turn fin, brueline antena and battery hold downs. I've got the boat where I want it and it runs out great-but I guess I should send it back to aqua craft for a new one. That is if they consider this a defect. So what are my options. Does the manufacturer have matching yellow paint? Will this be a warrantee situation? Should I get a new boat or repair this one? How do I avoid this happening again. Thanks for your help.

Mich. Maniac
08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
I would contact them about it, if you epoxied dont tell them. Or DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT! If it cracked after epoxy than these cracks were emenint. shouldnt get worse if you did it well.

Mich. Maniac
08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
post some pics, these guys here will help ya out!

SJFE
08-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Cracks are no big deal. Easy fix. Post the pictures up and I'll point you in the right direction.

Bart Marshall
08-20-2007, 01:05 AM
I would post pictures if I knew how-I'm not very computer literate. But I sure appreciate everyones input.

SJFE
08-20-2007, 05:25 PM
If you have a digital camera and a way to upload your pics to the pc just go to photobucket.com and open a free acount. You can upload them there and post them using the links they provide. You can even take them from your phone and send them to your computer via email.[/COLOR]

ice329
08-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Bart my favorite SV has cracks down the sides. What I have been doing and it seems to work is either with Zpoxy or regular epoxy is paint the whole joint on the inside all the way to the back of the boat right to the water outlet. I paint a nice 1 inch wide epoxy line along the whole joint on the inside, then on the outside just dabble the whole crack with clear epoxy and it seems to do the trick. I have noticed it dont get any worse, the crack is a result of where the top and bottom hulls meet. It dont seem to be structural just cosmetic. I have been painting the joint with zpoxy now even before they crack just for good measure.

lowdive
08-25-2007, 11:11 AM
the cracks along the sides seems common. the three boats my friends and i have have them. to me, it looks like not enough resin was used when glassing the inside. on mine you could feel bare cloth before i painted it over with more epoxy.

andym
09-01-2007, 02:01 AM
Looks like alot of aquqcraft products crack. I dont know of a sv or TP 2 that have not cracked!!