PDA

View Full Version : 1/10 crackerbox still active?

befu
11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
OK, I know the performance of these boats are limited, but are they still being raced or have they faded into the past?

I have an old project that included a DPI hull from way back that I found sitting on a shelf.

Man you could power on of these with a little outrunner!

Brian

highndry
11-11-2009, 07:33 PM
look at MACK products and vac-u has a 1/10th scale

Hydromaniac
11-11-2009, 07:58 PM
They are very cool but not many raced these days. I love running them.:noidea:

befu
11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Might be a fun winter project. I am thinking of a little outrunner, I have a turnigy 2836-2350 that might work. Can't overpower them or they become flippy.

with a light hull, small motor and flat bottom, I bet it would carry a nice size lipo or pair and have a really long run time.

Hmm, might have to do one.

Brian

BILL OXIDEAN
11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I have one I intend to run SAWS with. I'm down to race em at the nats if we get enough guys Rod??? :smile: They run sub-surface so the new brushless stock motors can be utilized..

properchopper
11-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Call me crazy [ I am], but I'm going to convert my Titan 29 to a crackerbox-looking rig. Just for fun. I like fun. Need drivers, make a sub-hatch & there it is.

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 12:17 AM
I would think that the 30"-ish crackers using the spec power systems would be a kick... and they might actually have more than one finish a race... ;)

BILL OXIDEAN
11-12-2009, 12:23 AM
I would think that the 30"-ish crackers using the spec power systems would be a kick... and they might actually have more than one finish a race... ;)

Darrin, you're from crackerbox country! your club was a DPI proving ground at one time..
I'm sure you can dig one up, let's fire up N-1 BL crackerbox! sub-surface will allow us to run graupner 3 blade huge props to make the low kv of the 17.5 work!

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 01:48 AM
Darrin, you're from crackerbox country! your club was a DPI proving ground at one time..
I'm sure you can dig one up, let's fire up N-1 BL crackerbox! sub-surface will allow us to run graupner 3 blade huge props to make the low kv of the 17.5 work!

I actually HAD a BRAND NEW, never built, DPI kit sitting here about a year ago, but sold it to do other things...

I might be able to dig something up. Someone needs to up that SAW record over the 22mph it is now... surely that is possible to totally eclipse these days... ;)

I might be able to dig something up. I might know where there are one or two of these laying around... ;)

Hydromaniac
11-12-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty much with Darin on this. If we were to do something with them at the 2010 Nats I think it would need to be something in the 28-30 inch range and P spec power, That may give them a chance to grow later on. If you look at what happened with the scale 1/10s this year, after guys seen them raced, the builds have taken off nationaly, the same could happen with FE CBs. Crackerboxes have also taken hold within the gas ranks. Something to think about.

sailr
11-12-2009, 09:08 AM
I love the crackers but don't seem to have much luck with getting our club members to try something new. Now if somebody would put out a nice FG 28-30" hull and it was set up strickly for P SPEC, that would be a winner in my opinion!

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
I love the crackers but don't seem to have much luck with getting our club members to try something new. Now if somebody would put out a nice FG 28-30" hull and it was set up strickly for P SPEC, that would be a winner in my opinion!

Might want to get them to be the full 34" allowed in the P-Class... even with the spec motors, these things will need every inch of that to be anywhere near stable!

sailr
11-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Good point Darin. Are there any kits or reasonably priced hulls out there that you are aware of?

Might want to get them to be the full 34" allowed in the P-Class... even with the spec motors, these things will need every inch of that to be anywhere near stable!

Hydromaniac
11-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Good point Darin. Are there any kits or reasonably priced hulls out there that you are aware of?
The only kit I know of being built now is the Zipp Kits but it is pretty large. Gasser Hull.

sailr
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeah, that zipp is a biggun ! If I could find a good hull, I might be interested in making a mold and offering FG hulls.

Hydromaniac
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah, that zipp is a biggun ! If I could find a good hull, I might be interested in making a mold and offering FG hulls.

I think the Jerry Dunlap 1/8 plans could be blown up pretty easily.

highndry
11-12-2009, 10:49 AM
32" Jersey : http://www.mackproductsrc.com

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Vac-U-Boats makes a cracker as well: http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-CrackerPhotos.htm

BILL OXIDEAN
11-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Vac-U-Boats makes a cracker as well: http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-CrackerPhotos.htm

Yep, I have one of those, but Toys-port is sending me a fiberglass 1/10 scale wire drive crackerbox http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=hu&u=http://www.toys-port.hu/&ei=BTT8Sq_0MYXQtAOik6iUAQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBAQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtoys-port%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den

Go to mono, then light of alaska

Now this is the ONE!!!

Hydromaniac
11-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Personaly, I'd be much more interested in building a P spec CB and run an exhibition class at the nats, if some rule agreements can be made. I think the smaller boats are shrinking in racing interest. IMO.

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Yep, I have one of those, but Toys-port is sending me a fiberglass 1/10 scale wire drive crackerbox http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=hu&u=http://www.toys-port.hu/&ei=BTT8Sq_0MYXQtAOik6iUAQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBAQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtoys-port%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den

Go to mono, then light of alaska

Now this is the ONE!!!

Here... try this link instead: http://www.toys-port.hu/en/index.htm

Nice boat... a little spendy, but nice boat...

Take some good pics and let us know how it looks once you get it... :thumbup1:

BILL OXIDEAN
11-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I like the scale aspect of crackerbox, I wish there was a mandatory scale motor rule, where you have to have at least an intake, breather and pipes exposed if not a full blown scale hemi (or chevy)

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Personaly, I'd be much more interested in building a P spec CB and run an exhibition class at the nats, if some rule agreements can be made. I think the smaller boats are shrinking in racing interest. IMO.

When Eddie is back around, someone needs to talk to him... I thought there was some talk of a glass 30-ish inch crackerbox out there somewhere...

Hull availability is always the major issue on this type of thing... just like with the P-Spec Hydros and OPC...

If there was a good, reasonably priced line of hulls available out there, people would get into it...

Hydromaniac
11-12-2009, 11:40 AM
I like the scale aspect of crackerbox, I wish there was a mandatory scale motor rule, where you have to have at least an intake, breather and pipes exposed if not a full blown scale hemi (or chevy)

I wish all classes had some scale aspect in the rules. not all out scale but I think we have lost the "Spirit Of Racing" scale appearence part.

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Scale has it's place... and I think MANY, if not most people try to make their boats look like something "real"...

However, the more scale you make the requirements, the less participation you'll get. It's a LOT of work to build and maintain something that is scale...

The opportunity is there for those who wish to do it... but it has been my experience that making everyone do it would lessen participation....

Hydromaniac
11-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Scale has it's place... and I think MANY, if not most people try to make their boats look like something "real"...

However, the more scale you make the requirements, the less participation you'll get. It's a LOT of work to build and maintain something that is scale...

The opportunity is there for those who wish to do it... but it has been my experience that making everyone do it would lessen participation....

Not saying scale at all, just a bit more effort.

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Not saying scale at all, just a bit more effort.

You mean as opposed to people just running them white gelcoat?? :iagree:

BILL OXIDEAN
11-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Small boats haul, and are inexpensive to operate. New technology makes them exciting..

Hydromaniac
11-12-2009, 02:10 PM
You mean as opposed to people just running them white gelcoat?? :iagree:

You got it, LOL

BILL OXIDEAN
11-12-2009, 02:30 PM
1/10 scale crackerbox is the only reasonable way to go
The push towards all this p-spec stuff (as fun as it is) and get rid of the smaller boats isn't exactly "boosting" attendance.

There is a world of car technology that is far more advanced than what we use being overlooked. 21 inch boats were raced for years and now guys act like its impossible umm water hasn't changed lol..

These car speedos have dynamic timing advance that will advance the timing in the upper rpm ranges when u really need it. they also have readily replacable rotors, different size rotors to alter powerband, physically adjustable timing on the motor, and replacable stators making changing winds cost effective..

I think I proved these little motors haul last weekend. I have more to prove. the boat has lots more in it. that was my first run at that speed the whole hardware pkg was flexed

1/10 scale crackerbox is already a NAMBA sanctioned class, the gear is readily available at your LHS, its up to date with BL/Lipo tech, and the rules are sanctioned by ROAR..
When I was poor it was car stuff that kept me in the sport. easy to get hands on used stuff..

BILL OXIDEAN
11-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Call me crazy [ I am], but I'm going to convert my Titan 29 to a crackerbox-looking rig. Just for fun. I like fun. Need drivers, make a sub-hatch & there it is.

Tony, the only way I want you to build that into a crackerbox, is if you keep the SAME driver figure shown in the picture LoL.. I LOVE it!

sailr
11-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Too small boats suffer from limited lakes the can be run on because it's too rough. Bigger boats cost more and are generally gas.

I like Darin's idea of a 30" spec class. The DPI, Vacuboat, and toysports are just too small!

Hydromaniac
11-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Too small boats suffer from limited lakes the can be run on because it's too rough. Bigger boats cost more and are generally gas.

I like Darin's idea of a 30" spec class. The DPI, Vacuboat, and toysports are just too small!

That and the power system cost is about the same or less then the Novak or CC car systems.

highndry
11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
A 1/10th CB is ~ 20". On a standard 1/6 mile course, running 20" boats is like watching paint dry. I would be all for the class if the course could be shortened.

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 08:19 PM
A 1/10th CB is ~ 20". On a standard 1/6 mile course, running 20" boats is like watching paint dry. I would be all for the class if the course could be shortened.

It's still like watching paint dry (and I currently hold the 2-lap record, so I'd know... ;) ), but the N1 boats only run 1/2 mile, not the full... so only 3-laps on the 1/6th... I haven't looked, but I believe the crackers are the same way...

I still like the little boats... but I can see the appeal of the 4S Spec stuff... No joke, Bill.. the P-Spec stuff HAS brought out a LOT more people to our races... and is doing the same across the country...

The N1 stuff just is NOT a "beginner's class" like the P-Spec stuff... the N1 stuff takes really talented guys like Wilmer and I to make work correctly and be "fast"... :thumbup:

BILL OXIDEAN
11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Fair enough, but I'm still an advocate of smaller boats staying in the arena, the thread was about 1/10 scale crackerboxes, and I jumped on because I have a great concept for them actually on the bench right now.

I'll have a video tomorrow
I personally think ul1 power will leave em on their lids more times than not..

UL1 motors aren't legal, 1/10 crackerboxes are the spirit 2s1p cheap..

Boats are one of the only rc hobbies that refuses to embrace the smaller ones, but its mainly guys on the boards
After seeing their performance, many would agree that theres a place for the car equipment.

It makes no sense to disregard such awesome equipment. So in other words the UL1 motor should do everything?? where's the diversity? That's wild LoL..

Let's have another nats that's basicly just a club race with all SV27 and UL1 based classes so no one will end up in the NAMBA records!

highndry
11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I really wasnt referring to length of race , rather ability of us semi-old guys whose sight isnt as acute as it it used to be to negotiate a 20" boat around a 1/6th course.

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Fair enough, but I'm still an advocate of smaller boats staying in the arena, the thread was about 1/10 scale crackerboxes, and I jumped on because I have a great concept for them actually on the bench right now.

I'll have a video tomorrow
I personally think ul1 power will leave em on their lids more times than not..

UL1 motors aren't legal, 1/10 crackerboxes are the spirit 2s1p cheap..

I WANT PICTURES of the TOYSPORT!! :D

We're a dying breed, Wilmer... I have a bench full of N1 and M2 boats right now... two monos and two hydros... with an Eco sitting on the shelf... Even have 3 brand new 4-cell NiMH packs, and an entire assortment of brushed motors!! (TEAM Checkpoints... 6x1 through 9x1, and a couple of BRAND NEW Hughey with 8x3 through 11x3 arms...) Crap... what am I going to do with this stuff! ????

I'd like to see this stuff stick around... at least for SAW and 2-lap... where running time restraits aren't an issue (i.e.: how long it takes to run an event during the day)... I'm afraid there is growing sentiment to get rid of them. I don't mind not running them for Oval... but I think SAW and 2-Lap should retain them.

Would love to know the specs (weight, etc. ) of that Toysport you are working on in comparison to the Vac-U-Pickle... I may have to pick something up, just to have it on the shelf and have a place for all these extra parts... ;)

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 08:37 PM
I really wasnt referring to length of race , rather ability of us semi-old guys whose sight isnt as acute as it it used to be to negotiate a 20" boat around a 1/6th course.

That is DEFINITELY tough... Understand!

RandyatBBY
11-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Sorry Wilmer i like Darin's idea the 34 inch hull just might be fun and I would really get in to building a FG mold on the quick, But what scale is it?

highndry
11-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Bill, Is that a Sanger? I had a bubble-deck, big block..traded for a slimy mastercraft to accomodate the family.

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 08:47 PM
But what scale is it?

Check out what I just found:

http://crackerboxracing.net/boxdesign.html

Looks like real boats are max 15' 6", minimum 13' 6"...

If I'm calculating correctly, the 15' 6" would be 186", which divided by 5.5 is 33.8"... so that's 1/5.5 th scale, right???

1/6th scale would be 31"... That would be a good target I think....

RandyatBBY
11-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Yes 1/6th scale would be 31 inches and a minuim of 27.5 acording to the http://crackerboxracing.net/boxdesign.html you posted.

Darin Jordan
11-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes 1/6th scale would be 31 inches and a minuim of 27.5 acording to the http://crackerboxracing.net/boxdesign.html you posted.

31" would work if people wanted to keep it at an even scale... I think that's what Don was shooting for with his...

Jeepers
11-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Now this sounds like fun!

sailr
11-13-2009, 08:21 AM
The Waveblasters club in Fort Pierce, Florida run on a 1/8 mile course due to the small size of their lake. The 8 lap races are a hoot! I is really easy to see the turns and is great for us visually challenged old farts! I love the format and wish more would adopt it! Even our own club is still running the 1/6 mile course.

That is DEFINITELY tough... Understand!

sailr
11-13-2009, 08:24 AM
:buttrock:Right on the money Darin! I would love to see a 31" Cracker! It would make another great spec class. Randy, let us know when you have the prototype done.:rockon2:

Check out what I just found:

http://crackerboxracing.net/boxdesign.html

Looks like real boats are max 15' 6", minimum 13' 6"...

If I'm calculating correctly, the 15' 6" would be 186", which divided by 5.5 is 33.8"... so that's 1/5.5 th scale, right???

1/6th scale would be 31"... That would be a good target I think....