PDA

View Full Version : Are the UL-1's improved now?

Raydee
11-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Some of the guys in our club held off last season on buying the UL-1's because of the problems we read about. We do plan on getting them for next season but we want to make sure all the bugs have been worked out. I mainly just want to see if they fixed the weak turn fin area problem?

Also we are running Hyperion 2s G3 cells and would like to know if they fit in the stock battery location, if possible can someone measure the area from the front of the tub to the motor mount? I know the 5500mah G3 cells are fairly long packs and I would like to see if they will fit.

longballlumber
11-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Some of the guys in our club held off last season on buying the UL-1's because of the problems we read about. We do plan on getting them for next season but we want to make sure all the bugs have been worked out. I mainly just want to see if they fixed the weak turn fin area problem?

Also we are running Hyperion 2s G3 cells and would like to know if they fit in the stock battery location, if possible can someone measure the area from the front of the tub to the motor mount? I know the 5500mah G3 cells are fairly long packs and I would like to see if they will fit.

Turn fin area is fixed, and has been for awhile...

I am 90% sure the 5500 Hyperion cells fit, but I don't have any to check. I am willing to bet someone will chime in that has used those packs...

longballlumber
11-11-2009, 07:58 AM
after a quick search I found this post...

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showpost.php?p=100248&postcount=57

Jeff Wohlt
11-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I heard people are still having issues at the fin area. I think they made mods and maybe structurally it is okay now but gelcoat cracking.

Anyone else want to confirm that that has a new hull after 6/15?

The fix is pretty easy. Plenty of posts on this on many forums.

longballlumber
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I have a new hull that was raced at the NAMBA nationals finished tied for 2nd place in points and finished in 2nd place for our season long club points, and I have found NO issues with the turn fin area... The structure that is in the turn fin area covers the ENTIRE sponson transom

I didn't post this to "toot my own horn" but to show that is hull is capable of being RACED and I mean RACED hard, fast, and competitive!

I have seen this hull and many others made using gelcoat that develop spider cracks or stress cracks, whatever you want to call them. To this date, I haven't found a simple surface crack in the surface gel be a problem.

Out of the 15+ boats that participated in our club race LSH class through out the year, more than 80% of the boats were UL-1’s. These are race boats, not armored tanks. Treat them as such. These boats are an excellent way to build an FE boat club. It certainty increased the attendance of our local events.

Ray, you and your buddies, go buy one and have some fun!!!!

Jeff Wohlt
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey 2nd place..... toot-toot away...you deserve it!! Congrats!

detox
11-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Those 5500 packs will fit, but I use the smaller size 2s 25c 5000mah Hyperions. Their small and light weight size allows for more COG adjustment. I can add more weight using lead in places where it is needed most.

The only problem i had with my UL-1 was the capacitor going out. Be sure to add extra capacitor.

detox
11-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Look here

Shooter
11-14-2009, 11:57 AM
The larger 35C 5500 packs fit very nice (see attached). Great packs. Ran them all summer with no problems. They pack a lot more punch than my Orion 30C's.

Raydee
11-14-2009, 12:57 PM
The larger 35C 5500 packs fit very nice (see attached). Great packs. Ran them all summer with no problems. They pack a lot more punch than my Orion 30C's.

Awesome, already have 4 of those and will buy 4 more for the UL-1 :rockon2: