PDA

View Full Version : Motor keeps frying out.....

FEJohn
11-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Has anyone had any problems with there motor frying out? I'm on my second one now and I bought the boat in July. I am using the factory water jacket. When I turn it on and hit trigger the prop spins very slow (even with fresh packs)but there is a noticable grinding sound coming from the motor. Can anyone help me out with this? Is the
Motor really burned out or is this something else?

Ub Hauled
11-06-2009, 05:00 PM
it could be the speed control... did you test the motor prior to launch or on a different ESC?

eboat
11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
does the flex shaft turn freely when the motor is not hooked up ?

Darin Jordan
11-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Are your motor mounting screws too long???

FEJohn
11-06-2009, 06:30 PM
it could be the speed control... did you test the motor prior to launch or on a different ESC?

Yes, I did test the motor before launch and the "grinding" sound did happen. If i wanna test the ESC could I do it on any ESC made for a BL motor. Could I use my traxxas one? Or does it have to be the another aquacraft ESC

FEJohn
11-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Are your motor mounting screws too long???

I dont think my motor mount screws are too long. They are the stock screws.

Ub Hauled
11-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Yes, I did test the motor before launch and the "grinding" sound did happen. If i wanna test the ESC could I do it on any ESC made for a BL motor. Could I use my traxxas one? Or does it have to be the another aquacraft ESC

IS the coupler rubbing against the motor mount?

if you are using a BL motor, the ONLY a BL ESC will work.
DO NOT USE A BRUSHED ESC WITH A BL MOTOR

Same goes the other way around.

Ub Hauled
11-06-2009, 06:43 PM
I dont think my motor mount screws are too long. They are the stock screws.

What Darin was suggesting is that as you screw them on you HAVE TO MAKE SURE that the screws DO NOT touch the wires, it'll short the motor out, it does not matter if the are stock screws or not.

Take the motor out and place the screws in the holes you have not used and gently go in as far as you can and see how much of a gap is left when you gently touch the wires.
BE GENTLE.

BakedMopar
11-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Try checking the bullet connector connection between motor and ESC. Make sure the connection is solid.

Darin Jordan
11-07-2009, 02:22 AM
I suppose one should also make SURE the driveline is free... Make sure the shaft is well lubed, and spin it without the motor attached to verify that it's not binding or ???

FEJohn
11-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I suppose one should also make SURE the driveline is free... Make sure the shaft is well lubed, and spin it without the motor attached to verify that it's not binding or ???

Thats what my LHS said. I think I wasnt lubing the drive shaft enough. They told me to do it after every run. Im used to gas boats that dont really require it after every run

Fluid
11-07-2009, 10:36 PM
It is NOT necessary to lube the cable after every run if you use a decent oil or grease. If the teflon liner is damaged that could cause both noise and extreme drag which can overheat the motor. These motors are simple and pretty foolproof, if you have destroyed two of them, something else is wrong. The suggestions about long screws and something rubbing are good ones. Did you ever run the motor at full throttle out of the water for more than a few seconds? FE motors are not to be revved to maximum without a load, that can cause permanent damage.

LiPo Power
11-07-2009, 11:15 PM

...FEJohn, so did you test your motor on diffrent ESC?

D. Newland
11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Has anyone had any problems with there motor frying out?

Yes.

They've got a 90 day warranty.

I have found on 2 occasions that a part of the rotor has come loose, making contact with the outer motor windings.

Does the motor smell burned?

I'd plug everything up, minus the drive shaft and coupler and bench test the motor. Don't go full throttle, but just blip it 1/2 throttle quickly. See if the motor RPM's come up smoothly, or not. See if the motor seems normal under deceleration. You'll know PDQ if the rotor is making contact with the outer windings. If it starts chunking/coughing/sputtering, there's a problem.

Also, as mentioned above, the ESC would be the next thing to trouble-shoot. In fact, I think it would be better to check YOUR ESC against a fresh motor, rather than ANOTHER ESC against your "damaged" motor. You may end up with another damaged ESC.

longballlumber
11-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Thats what my LHS said. I think I wasnt lubing the drive shaft enough. They told me to do it after every run. Im used to gas boats that dont really require it after every run

John,

Where are you located in MI? If your in the Metro Detroit area, I may be able to help if needed. Try the tests that Mr. Newland has recommended and see if you can make any findings of what is good or bad. It sure seems like something is not right causing 2 motors to go bad. Feel free to PM me if you need.

Mike Ball

Ub Hauled
11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Out of curiosity, how many cells are you running your system with?

LiPo Power
11-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Out of curiosity, how many cells are you running your system with?

....aaaa, very good quastion...

Grimracer
11-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Has anyone had any problems with there motor frying out? I'm on my second one now and I bought the boat in July. I am using the factory water jacket. When I turn it on and hit trigger the prop spins very slow (even with fresh packs)but there is a noticable grinding sound coming from the motor. Can anyone help me out with this? Is the
Motor really burned out or is this something else?

Looks like your getting some good help on here..

can you tell me what "keeps Frying out" means.

I know that kind of sounds like a dumb question but it really will help us.

Does it mean.. stopping, smolking, smell, fire, other

Grim

6S HYDRO
11-11-2009, 12:55 PM
if its grindy did you check ther bearings