PDA

View Full Version : Hyper Performance Outboard

Steven Vaccaro
11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I will start carrying the Hyper Performance 3.5 outboard leg as a complete unit and will also have the individual parts.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hpi-3.5-bullet-drive

Ub Hauled
11-04-2009, 10:28 PM
great little piece of art, it very well done and performs well.
I am glad you have that in your list now Steven, I am sure Dave is
happy with that as well...

tth
11-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I think that would look nice on the VS-1 thats next on the list. Nice Steven!

Steven Vaccaro
11-05-2009, 06:09 AM
I like it. The graupner units are more scale, so its nice to now have something for the performance minded.

Doby
11-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Finally!!!!

If my stupid REK unit doesn't stop breaking cables soon, I'll take one!

Steven Vaccaro
11-05-2009, 10:07 AM
What took so long was that I've been waiting for one place that carried all the parts. I really didnt want to mix and match different manufacturers items to make one outboard unit.

Someone scooped the first one. I will have more in about 1 week.

bustitup
11-05-2009, 10:26 AM
that is one sweet setup and priced very reasonable to

raptor347
11-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Steven,
Good deal! That's the unit I've been running on my VS-1. It just plain works. I'll have to post a pic of the skeg done up.

I won '09 season high points in open tunnel at the Emerald City Model Boat club (Eugene, OR) running against the other FE and Nitro boats. It's possibly the best handling lower unit I've tried (I've had most of them).

It's got the best shaft alignment of all the units I've tested. All assembled with motor in place it has no more drag than a really well setup inboard.

The stub shaft is fantastic. It's standard K&B threads and fits the REK lowers as well. I've got one with over 2 seasons on it and it still doesn't wobble.

My .02

bigwaveohs
11-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Finally!!!!

If my stupid REK unit doesn't stop breaking cables soon, I'll take one!

I plan on running the REK lower. What motor/ESC/battery/prop are you using? Is it spec?

Steven Vaccaro
11-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Steven,
Good deal! That's the unit I've been running on my VS-1. It just plain works. I'll have to post a pic of the skeg done up.

I won '09 season high points in open tunnel at the Emerald City Model Boat club (Eugene, OR) running against the other FE and Nitro boats. It's possibly the best handling lower unit I've tried (I've had most of them).

It's got the best shaft alignment of all the units I've tested. All assembled with motor in place it has no more drag than a really well setup inboard.

The stub shaft is fantastic. It's standard K&B threads and fits the REK lowers as well. I've got one with over 2 seasons on it and it still doesn't wobble.

My .02

Thanks for the info Brian. Darin posted that you guys were having good luck with it, so I figured I needed to take a look. When I did I liked it.

I'm also thinking about getting some of the 7.5 legs.

Doby
11-06-2009, 07:06 AM
I plan on running the REK lower. What motor/ESC/battery/prop are you using? Is it spec?

Stock UL-1 System with a 5000mah 20C 14.8V Zippy. I'm on my 7th cable this year,,,if I count correctly.

eboat
11-06-2009, 08:28 AM
How do you adjust the angle of the prop with this mount that comes with it ?
Do you have to use a wedge under the mounting base ?

Steven Vaccaro
11-06-2009, 10:06 AM
The mount both tilts and goes up and down.

sailr
11-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Have you thought about carrying their angle drive....the black one?

Thanks for the info Brian. Darin posted that you guys were having good luck with it, so I figured I needed to take a look. When I did I liked it.

I'm also thinking about getting some of the 7.5 legs.

Steven Vaccaro
11-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Have you thought about carrying their angle drive....the black one?

I was told by a few different people that the Bullet Drive is the way to go. It was also the one recommended by Dave.

Have you used the angle drive?

Darin Jordan
11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
The mount both tilts and goes up and down.

To further expand... I've made a picture...

Darin Jordan
11-06-2009, 02:01 PM
I was told by a few different people that the Bullet Drive is the way to go. It was also the one recommended by Dave.

From what I've been told, the Angle drive is cool looking, but the lift characteristics and such of the Bullet Drive makes it a more robust and overall better unit... Haven't tried the Angle to know for sure, but I've seen the Bullet's in action on both P-Spec and "Open" sized (7.5) tunnels, and they work exceedingly well...

sailr
11-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Good to know! Thanks Darin. The angle drive is really a lot sexier looking than the bullet drive. I'd like to hear from those running it to see how it performs.

sailr
11-06-2009, 02:06 PM
No, I haven't used it but have been considering it. The bullet drive looks clunky to me with a lot of "bulk" (drag) in the water when compared to the angle drive. But maybe it's more hydrodynamic than the Angle drive. We need to hear from those using the angle drive I guess.

raptor347
11-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Generally the bullet isn't in the water much. There are applications for both styles of lower unit. I find that having the prop up tighter to the transom gives me better handling on my heat racing tunnels.

AlanN
11-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Stock UL-1 System with a 5000mah 20C 14.8V Zippy. I'm on my 7th cable this year,,,if I count correctly.

Ah yes but what prop are you using?

I know Brian is happy with the bullet and it definitely looks good to me but I have been using the REK for 2 years and have had limited cable failure. Alot depends on how you handle the throttle, the weight of the model, the fit of the cable between the motor coupler and lower end coupler and the prop.

BILL OXIDEAN
11-27-2009, 02:43 AM
I just wanted to note that its super important to maintain the shaft on a lower leg as well.

Broke shaft due to rust cost me a finish, pull the sucker out at the end of the day and grease WELL

raptor347
11-27-2009, 03:38 AM
I don't grease the outboards. I use a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery oil and STP. ATF and STP works good too, but MMO smells better:biggrin:. Squirt a little in the oil port every run. Shafts last a long time. If you really want to be sure it won't rust internally, take it out at the end of the day and store it in ATF or CorosionX.

BILL OXIDEAN
11-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't grease the outboards. I use a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery oil and STP. ATF and STP works good too, but MMO smells better:biggrin:. Squirt a little in the oil port every run. Shafts last a long time. If you really want to be sure it won't rust internally, take it out at the end of the day and store it in ATF or CorosionX.

Simply squirting the combo into the oils passage will do?
-cool, I'm not good about removing drivelines after runs LoL..

BILL OXIDEAN
11-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Ah yes but what prop are you using?

I know Brian is happy with the bullet and it definitely looks good to me but I have been using the REK for 2 years and have had limited cable failure. Alot depends on how you handle the throttle, the weight of the model, the fit of the cable between the motor coupler and lower end coupler and the prop.

Happy holidays Mr. Nayman..

Grimracer
12-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Being an OB racer for years I can say with some confidence that oiling the shaft (auto oiler is best) is far better then greasing.

Not so much for cable stablity or lasting but rather making the stub shaft last.

If you are using a K+B stub with the lead Teflon bushings however its not going to matter what you do. They just will not last long.

Having said that.. I have NEVER had a sloppy stub shaft cost me a heat win. I have however had one cost me a prop in testing.. That in its self was enough to make me rethink lower units on in my racing program.

After racing for OS motors for the last 4 years I can say with out a doubt that the OS lower unit is the best I have ever used. Dollar for dollar it with out question the best you can buy.. that is until a lower price unit of similar quality and features comes out.

Largest advantages to the OS lower

Japanese Metallurgy. Not as good as Italian but as good as we have in the toy boat industry.

The cast aluminum is not to soft and not to hard.. the skeg holds a very sharp edge.
Bronze stub bushing along with shaft harness.. second to none.
Motor mount system
Distance from center line of prop shaft to bottom of cav plate

Roll the bones

Grim

sailr
12-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Mike,

I really like the OS unit but the price has been the deterrant. Where is the best source for just the lower unit?

Being an OB racer for years I can say with some confidence that oiling the shaft (auto oiler is best) is far better then greasing.

Not so much for cable stablity or lasting but rather making the stub shaft last.

If you are using a K+B stub with the lead Teflon bushings however its not going to matter what you do. They just will not last long.

Having said that.. I have NEVER had a sloppy stub shaft cost me a heat win. I have however had one cost me a prop in testing.. That in its self was enough to make me rethink lower units on in my racing program.

After racing for OS motors for the last 4 years I can say with out a doubt that the OS lower unit is the best I have ever used. Dollar for dollar it with out question the best you can buy.. that is until a lower price unit of similar quality and features comes out.

Largest advantages to the OS lower

Japanese Metallurgy. Not as good as Italian but as good as we have in the toy boat industry.

The cast aluminum is not to soft and not to hard.. the skeg holds a very sharp edge.
Bronze stub bushing along with shaft harness.. second to none.
Motor mount system
Distance from center line of prop shaft to bottom of cav plate

Roll the bones

Grim

Grimracer
12-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Truth is i have found you really get what you pay for here.. The K+B lower is a great handing lower but.. that’s about it.. it is inexpensive however..

The hyper bullet is a nice unit and the skeg shape right on target with what we need. Price, its not too bad at all. The bound shaft/s system just does not justify the purchase for me (just me).

Lawless.. good BUT.. until the motor mount system changes the price is to high for what you get (having said this I still have that lower on my mod tunnel). Im going to use it as long as I can to get my money out of it.. (it has won some HUGE races for me).. Too much lift for me overall however.

As a good OS sponsored driver I have to say, Its best to contact your local hobby shop or ask Steven if he can get you a OS lower. I think they might be out of stock right now so that might sway your decision. If all else falls through, try Tower..

I like winning races.. OS lower units commit to the task as hard as you test to win.. PERIOD!

Grim

p.s.. I have not broke a OS brand flex shaft in over two years (FE or Other) (AND I AM LAZY and do not yank shafts.. Hell I hardly remember what they look like!) Add 2 or three of those to your total cost.. tell me what you get!

Greg Schweers
12-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Tower OS LOWER UNIT LXCP 20

Cat-Boi
12-03-2009, 03:36 PM
I am truly glad you said "not as good as Italian" !!! :)

got two o.s. units coming, they just look thinner and easier to work with.

hey maybe its time I design an Italian lower unit.....?! the only lower unit that curses back at you.

Grimracer
12-03-2009, 04:11 PM
:rofl: