PDA

View Full Version : rescue boat

dirtslide
11-04-2009, 03:08 PM
i want to use the Rio ep as a rescue boat for my other FE boats does anyone have any info on building a front catcher of sorts for pushing over turned or broken down boats back to shore and if you think the RIO will work in this application?

Doby
11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
We used mine a few times...

1)Get fishing rod,
2)Clip on leader to the rod connecting the two rudders together
3)Place Rio in water
4)Drive slowly to dead, flipped boat requiring rescue
5)Circle the dead, flipped boat requiring rescue but stop just short of running over fising line
6)Stop Rio
7)Slowly real in both boats together.

It works 95% of the time.

Be sure to tape the Rio's hatch as somtimes the stern goes under water a bit when reeling in the boats.

westbeach
11-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Do a search on RESCUE, there's a bunch of threads. Might give you some ideas. The best way is probably to attach a fishing line( with reel ) to your Rio. drive it out to the disabled boat, go around the boat and reel the boats back in. Save's your rescue boat's motor.

egneg
11-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I use a Wave Shark with a 700SC and 2 GP3300's in series as my rescue boat. I attached an eye hook to the back and clip on about 8 feet of line with a floating grappling hook at the end. I just circle the disabled boat until I snag it and then haul it in. I have spare packs for this as they are pretty much spent after 2 rescues. You could probably do the same thing with the Rio. Here are a couple of pictures.

dirtslide
11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
never thought of that ,thank you .this way no matter what happens i will still be tethered to the Rio even it it take a few tries and i will not end up killing the motor on the rescue craft.by the way i see that westbeachs location is b.c. can i ask where and may be could get together for some off shore racing .i live in Richmond BC are you close? thanks guys ken

dirtslide
11-04-2009, 05:20 PM
egneg does the line ever get wraped up in the prop or do you use floating line like the kind water kiters use? thanks ken

egneg
11-04-2009, 05:30 PM
The turn radius of the rescue boat and the length of the line is such that it won't get wrapped up in the prop. It may take a few passes this way but at least I don't have 2 boats that are stuck out in the pond.

dirtslide
11-04-2009, 05:43 PM
that is why i like the idea of the fishing line hooked to the rescue boat, that way i still have one of the boats attached to shore. but i can say for fact not everything always works out perfect.this thought ran through my mind as i watched my blackjack slip into the darkness of Davie Jones locker this spring .

SweetZ28
11-04-2009, 07:01 PM
I used to do this but now i just bring a fishing rod with light LB test string and some weights i cast out over the boat and try and get the weight stuck on the prop or turn fin it works like a charm.... But i don'y go super far away with my boats... and i am a great fishermen i can almost hit any spot i want with a rod and reel!
:thumbup1:

dirtslide
11-04-2009, 09:24 PM
but my way the wife really thinks i need two boats and thats all good with me and i will have the fishing rod along anyway so all i need is some lead weights in case i have two rescue my rescue boat :banana:

SweetZ28
11-04-2009, 10:10 PM
but my way the wife really thinks i need two boats and thats all good with me and i will have the fishing rod along anyway so all i need is some lead weights in case i have two rescue my rescue boat :banana:

:thumbup1:Can't argue with that!!

westbeach
11-05-2009, 03:39 AM
Hey Ken,

LOL didn't even see that you're from BC too! I am in Abbotsford BTW. I will pm you my number. We can meet up somewhere in the middle?? and run our boats. What else do you have in your fleet?

Neal

dirtslide
11-05-2009, 02:28 PM
that sounds great ,we will have to start a B.C- FE racing club . one boat is a blast but two boats is twice as fun . right now i have just the sv27 &the RIO ep because i am just getting started in hobby grade RC boats but the rest of my RC fleet consist of,2 SC10,2 E maxx,slash,sc8e,2 crawlers (losi&scorpion),3 tamyia mini copper,mini slash vxl,losi 8 e,rc10-t4,a like new losi jrx 2 (vintage),7 helis ,7 airplanes , mini z , and a yokomo yr-4m2 pro drifter. i don't know if you race any off or on road but if you do we may know each other already because i race the indoor winter series at the red barn in abbotsford and the summer series at high voltage raceway in aldergrove. shoot me a pm and we will get together.cultus lake is a excellent place for RC boat s i love it out there in the valley.