PDA

View Full Version : NEW Spektrum DX3E 3 Channel radio!

Darin Jordan
10-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey Guys... Check out what Horizon/Spektrum just announced! VERY cool! It also says it's compatible with the new MR3000 RX!! AND, only $99.00!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM3160

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/SPM/450/SPM3160-450.jpg

DX3E 3Ch DSM Surface Radio
Key Features

* 3-channel surface system
* Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM technology
* Includes SR300 DSM 3-channel receiver
* One S200 digital servo included
* One model memory
* 2-position, 3-position or linear auxiliary setting
* Steering dual rate knob for easy adjustment
* Independent travel adjustment dials for all three channels
* Battery voltage level indicator LEDs
* Servo reversing on all three channels
* Compatible with DSM2 and the MR3000 receivers, in addition to DSM surface receivers.
* 4 AA alkaline batteries and a medium size grip included (other grip sizes sold separately - SPM9006)
* Charge jack port for use with optional rechargeable batteries (SPM9525) and charger (SPM9526)

Overview
Revolutionizing the industry yet again, Spektrum announces their most affordable 2.4GHz system ever offered. Packed with features and added value, the DX3E is just what consumers have been asking for. At $99.99 MAP, it’s tough to beat this easy-to-use system- modern Spektrum styling, interference-free driving, and added features such as battery indicator LEDs and steering dual rates plus compatibility with all Bind-n-Drive vehicles.
Specs

* # of Channels:3
* Modulation:DSM (Compatible with DSM2 and the MR3000 receivers too)
* Band:2.4GHz
* Servos:S200 (1)
* Receiver:SR300 DSM 3-channel receiver
* Model Memory:1
* Transmitter (Tx) Battery Type:AA Alkaline (4 included)

sailr
10-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Looks like AQ and their Tactic forced some hands regarding pricing! Now of course Futaba and Airtronics will have to follow suit. I wonder how the Tactic gets by without any receiver antenna. That is the best feature of the Tactic. If Tactic can do it, so can the others. Until someone else offers an antenna-free receiver, I'll stick with the $80 tactic system although the new Spektrum has a couple of features I like.

blakybob
10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Looks good. Love the price point. I was just looking on eBay at the DX3S and thinking...."if only someone would bundle this transmitter with the MR3000".

Blake

sailr
10-22-2009, 10:54 AM
It comes with the 300 receiver, not the 3000.

Darin Jordan
10-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I wonder how the Tactic gets by without any receiver antenna. That is the best feature of the Tactic. If Tactic can do it, so can the others. Until someone else offers an antenna-free receiver, I'll stick with the $80 tactic system although the new Spektrum has a couple of features I like.

I'm not sure, and I've never used a Tactic, but has anyone tested the range on one of these??

The Spektrum, Futaba, and similiar radios are designed to allow LONG ranges... Aparently, big gas boaters like to drive WAY out there...

I've tested my DX3S at over 1000ft... without loss of signal...

If the Tactic can do this, then that's great. But, I suspect that it's not really designed for those extended ranges, and that is how they can get away without an antenna... I'm only speculating, however...

I'm just glad to see that Spektrum was able to answer the call with an affordable package like this. That's awesome for the hobby!

sailr
10-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah, good for Spektrum! Good move. I have run my boats pretty far out with the Tactic without any loss of control but couldn't tell you a distance. I know one guy running offshore and that far buoy is Waaaay out there on the local club course. He didn't have any trouble.

blakybob
10-22-2009, 11:00 AM
It comes with the 300 receiver, not the 3000.

Yep, you're right. I was thinking it would be nice if someone bundled it with a MR3000.

Blake

Darin Jordan
10-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah, good for Spektrum! Good move. I have run my boats pretty far out with the Tactic without any loss of control but couldn't tell you a distance. I know one guy running offshore and that far buoy is Waaaay out there on the local club course. He didn't have any trouble.

While it seems way out there... if you can see the buoy, it's not! ;)

I didn't realize it before I tried it, but 1000ft is WAY out there... it's completely across the lake we run on... you can just barely see the boat out there.

I've been told by the Spektrum engineers that they have people in Florida, etc., that run their big gas boats WAY out there... >1000ft out, so that's what they are trying to be able to support with this new line of radios.

Darin Jordan
10-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Yep, you're right. I was thinking it would be nice if someone bundled it with a MR3000.

Blake

I'm sure they were trying to keep the initial pricepoint under $100.00.... The MR3000 is $79.95 on it's own...

I agree, however, and I'll mention it to them and see if maybe they can put something together.... You aren't the first to mention this.

Steven Vaccaro
10-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Looks like AQ and their Tactic forced some hands regarding pricing! Now of course Futaba and Airtronics will have to follow suit. I wonder how the Tactic gets by without any receiver antenna. That is the best feature of the Tactic. If Tactic can do it, so can the others. Until someone else offers an antenna-free receiver, I'll stick with the $80 tactic system although the new Spektrum has a couple of features I like.

Futaba already relseased their low cost model at $105.00
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-futk1200

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/prodimages/futk1200_small.jpg

But since I'm a Spektrum lover now. The Spektrum Dx3E will definitely be on my shelves ASAP!!! I know it isnt a big deal but for some reason I love the aggressive looks of new Tx's by Spektrum. The Futuba's seem old fashion.

Thanks for the post Darin!!!

properchopper
10-22-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure, and I've never used a Tactic, but has anyone tested the range on one of these??

Darin, I'm running six different boats with the Tactic/Tower Tx/Rx setup. I've gotten really "out there" - kinda' like lane 50 on the back straight with no probs. Legg has some strange "RF Traps" that affect most all other brands; no probs with the Tactic. Strange but true. :confused2:

IMO that there's a huge price differential in outfitting my six boats with Tactic/Tower Rx's [ @ 17 bucks] Vs other brands. The absense of the antenna is really nice as well. No model memory is a big downside; a real pain if you want the steering to be correct for oval course running. The Tactic Tx has a real "cheapie" feel to it & the trim pots are extremeley non-linear, another downside when you have to adjust for each model every time you switch boats. The Spectrum looks great and would really get my vote if a version with model memory could be offered as a step up; as a racer with a pretty big fleet I'd imagine you'd agree. :biggrin:

6S HYDRO
10-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I use a tactic, and a m8 w/ spektrum & 10 model mem, and a ko ex-10 w/ spek and 9 model mem.

Besides the models the tactic works just as good if not better, ive had some weird stuff happen on spektrum

Flying Scotsman
10-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Darin, I'm running six different boats with the Tactic/Tower Tx/Rx setup. I've gotten really "out there" - kinda' like lane 50 on the back straight with no probs. Legg has some strange "RF Traps" that affect most all other brands; no probs with the Tactic. Strange but true. :confused2:

IMO that there's a huge price differential in outfitting my six boats with Tactic/Tower Rx's [ @ 17 bucks] Vs other brands. The abscence of the antenna is really nice as well. No model memory is a big downside; a real pain if you want the steering to be correct for oval course running. The Tactic Tx has a real "cheapie" feel to it & the trim pots are extremeley non-linear, another downside when you have to adjust for each model every time you switch boats. The Spectrum looks great and would really get my vote if a version with model memory could be offered as a step up; as a racer with a pretty big fleet I'd imagine you'd agree. :biggrin:

The no model memory and the cheap feel and other issues Tony mentions are the only issues, for the price it is a bargain. If Tactic come up with a more sophistaced model, watch out. The other manufacturers will have sleepless nights

Douggie

properchopper
10-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Thing is that I just can't take my eyes off the new Spectrum; a total masterpiece of industrial design.:thumbup:

6S HYDRO
10-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I think theyre uglier than hell, like some type of moon boot

Steven Vaccaro
10-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Ya, but the I think I have a Futaba model from the early 90's that looks like the one they just released. :bounce:I think there is something to be said about a good product looking the same but getting better. But come on, time to make some changes in appearance :help:

Steven Vaccaro
10-22-2009, 02:18 PM

And just so you know where I'm coming from, I still have some moon boots my father bought me in the mid 80's!!!! The fit great, feel good when they are on and water proof. But I'm with ya that they are ugly as hell! If i wear them this winter i'll take a picture. lol

6S HYDRO
10-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Ohh i dont like the futaba either, only the 3pks

6S HYDRO
10-22-2009, 02:19 PM
And just so you know where I'm coming from, I still have some moon boots my father bought me in the mid 80's!!!! The fit great, feel good when they are on and water proof. But I'm with ya that they are ugly as hell! If i wear them this winter i'll take a picture. lol

:rofl::laugh::roflol:

Darin Jordan
10-22-2009, 03:11 PM
I disagree with the "ugly" comment... I think the DX series of Spektrum TXs are cool looking... but then, I also liked my JR XS3-Pro very much, so I'm partial to the silver look... I also like the placement of most of the controls... it's VERY easy to switch between models and settings...

sunsation288
10-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Nice found Darin ...i look for it right now ...
Christian

screwball
10-22-2009, 04:29 PM
if only it had more model memory id be all over this.....

Darin Jordan
10-22-2009, 05:05 PM
if only it had more model memory id be all over this.....

Sounds like they need to make something like the original JR XS-3... Maybe with a 3 or 5-model memory, in the $150.00 price-range...

screwball
10-22-2009, 05:06 PM
yea that`d be perfect!! just enouph for all my rc`s

nomobux
10-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Yeh .... nice, but how about us lefties. I don't understand why they didn't make the S convertible like the R.

AndyKunz
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
More mold cavities --> more development and assembly money, and less than 10% of the market (many lefties drive righty because they've had to learn how - both of my left-handed sons do just fine with my right-handed radios).

Andy

rench
10-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey Darin,

You mentioned testing your Spektrum DX3S up to 1000 ft. Quick question: I use my DX3S racing trucks, etc. I have 5 vehicles on it right now. I know Spektrum has the marine receivers and I can upgrade my DX3S for $50. Can I use my radio as is with say a SR300 3-channel DSM sport receiver in my UL-1 or my SV27?

Thanks for any input on the question.

Darin Jordan
10-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey Darin,

You mentioned testing your Spektrum DX3S up to 1000 ft. Quick question: I use my DX3S racing trucks, etc. I have 5 vehicles on it right now. I know Spektrum has the marine receivers and I can upgrade my DX3S for $50. Can I use my radio as is with say a SR300 3-channel DSM sport receiver in my UL-1 or my SV27?

Thanks for any input on the question.

I'm sure you could, but I can't speculate on what the range might be. The new RXs have a different form-factor and dual antennas, etc. That being said, I use my DX3S with the SR3100 RXs all the time, and haven't had any issues with range.

tharmer
10-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Mine ran out of range at about 250 feet. I don't think the pistol radios have as much trasmitting power as the airplane radios.

Now I have to put some kind of external extension on the receiver antenna to keep from getting out of range...or go back to my air radio which never had any range problems.
-t

Darin Jordan
10-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Mine ran out of range at about 250 feet. I don't think the pistol radios have as much trasmitting power as the airplane radios.
-t

Can you please be more specific on the Model and setup details... What TX? Which RX? etc...

tharmer
10-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Hi Darrin,
Thanks for the reply. Here's more data:

TX: DX3s purchased about a month ago
RX: SR3300T

RX is located inside a 1/7th scale FE hull. Standard 3.5" antenna extended inside the hull and covered by a 1/16 piece of ply (Receiver box cover).
Telemetry is not being used
No part of the hull is CF
Power is 5 cell NiMH

At about 250 feet the ESC shut down. When the boat rotated due to the wind, the receiver woke up again and I was able to get the boat back. Sometimes you just get lucky!

I see 12" piano wire external antennas on lots of boats and maybe the limited range is why.

-t

Darin Jordan
10-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Hi Darrin,
Thanks for the reply. Here's more data:

TX: DX3s purchased about a month ago
RX: SR3300T

RX is located inside a 1/7th scale FE hull. Standard 3.5" antenna extended inside the hull and covered by a 1/16 piece of ply (Receiver box cover).
Telemetry is not being used
No part of the hull is CF
Power is 5 cell NiMH

I haven't tried this particular RX, but one thing I do know about all of these is that the antenna must exit the hull. The only real part of the antenna lead that is "antenna" is the last 1" or so (the silver part that looks like the insultion has been stripped off"

I haven't tried the SR3100 or the MR3000 without having the antenna exit the hull. One of these days, I'm going to give it a shot, but for now, I extend them fully outside of the hull and as high up as possible.

tharmer
10-25-2009, 12:43 AM
That's what I thought. I never have to do it with my airplane transmatter (JR10X) and the parkflyer receivers I use.

-t

Darin Jordan
10-25-2009, 12:40 PM
That's what I thought. I never have to do it with my airplane transmatter (JR10X) and the parkflyer receivers I use.

-t

Over water is an entirely different deal... The signals close to the water get antenuated and lose strength... or as it was explained to me, the signal gets "drawn down" and loses range quickly. You need to get the antenna up off the water as high as possible, especially with the "older" form-factor surface RXs. The new MR3000 has a LONG main antenna, just for this reason.

I hate antenna tubes as much as the next guy, which is why I always used Hayes whip antennas, but running the antenna like this seems to be the way to go.

tharmer
10-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Good info. Thanks, Darrin. I understand better now. Maybe I'll get the marine receiver.
-t

Darin Jordan
10-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Good info. Thanks, Darrin. I understand better now. Maybe I'll get the marine receiver.
-t

Make sure you upgrade the TX at the same time...

I agree that that is a PAIN, especially after JUST purchasing it. :doh:

AndyKunz
10-25-2009, 05:08 PM
The Surface (SR-series rx) protocol is lower power than the Marine and Aircraft protocols. If you want to run a Surface receiver in a boat, I'd recommend something like the SR3100 as you can get the active portion of the antenna up and away from the hull and water. The SR300 has a different type of antenna which is active the whole length, and you'd have to put it up high on the boat to get the same performance.

Andy

tharmer
10-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks, Andy. My DX3S radio TX is marine capable (has the marine logo on it) so I assume I can just get a marine RX and be good to go.

-t

AndyKunz
10-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Yup! Have a blast with it!

Andy

T.S.Davis
10-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I've used Futaba, Hitec, JR, Tactic, and Spektrum.

I haven't messed with a Futaba in years.

My Hitecs had nice features but I didn't trust them. Too many issues I couldn't explain.

The JR XS3 Pro is a great radio but it's made it to old school status IMO. The cloth grip cover that came with my JR was pretty sweet.

I checked out an Airtronics at the NATS and it just didn't feel good. I might have been able to get used to it. A little heavy for me though.

The Tactic is a great deal but not as nice a fit with my hand and almost no features.

Comfort is kind of a big deal to me. That's just me though. It has to work but it has to feel good too. My new Spektrum is the most comfortable in the hand so far with JR XS 3 Pro being a close second. I haven't had any range issues yet with the Spektrum marine setup. Pretty sweet so far. Comfy and it works.

Andy, does the new radio have the killer menu system? I love that on the S radio.

Darin Jordan
10-26-2009, 11:22 AM
My new Spektrum is the most comfortable in the hand so far with JR XS 3 Pro being a close second. I haven't had any range issues yet with the Spektrum marine setup. Pretty sweet so far. Comfy and it works.

Spektrum also makes different sized rubber inserts for the handles, so you can make the grips smaller or larger if needed...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/SPM/450/SPM9006-450.jpg

AndyKunz
10-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Andy, does the new radio have the killer menu system? I love that on the S radio.

The DX3E doesn't have a menu or even an LCD. The adjustments are pots that run down the center of the top of the transmitter. If you look at the picture closely, you can see the tops sticking out. They have knurled tops, so you don't need a screwdriver to adjust them.

"E" is for "ECONOMY" so they really aren't intended for most racers. I would expect the RTR type guys to get them as a one-step-up radio.

Andy

T.S.Davis
10-26-2009, 02:16 PM
A monkey could work that S menu. Maybe that's why I like it so well.

Not everyone needs that much. Does it run on 4aa like the others? That's really convienient compared to 8 aa.

That reminds me. A 2s Lipo option sure would be sweet for all the radios.

AndyKunz
10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
4 cells is what we use in all our new stuff.

Andy

T.S.Davis
10-27-2009, 08:57 AM
It's a small thing but when you run for a whole weekend and have to replace 8 AA's multiple times it get's annoying. 4 is better.

Darin Jordan
10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
It's a small thing but when you run for a whole weekend and have to replace 8 AA's multiple times it get's annoying. 4 is better.

I've purposefully been running mine on the same AAs for most of the later part of the season, just to see how far down it can go before there are issues... Thus far, I've raced with it down to 5.0V and still works fine... Also seems to take awhile to get there... Not sure what the floor is... Not sure it's worth finding out, but I might keep trying...

BakedMopar
10-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeh .... nice, but how about us lefties. I don't understand why they didn't make the S convertible like the R.

That is the reason I have been using Airtronics transmitters since the 80's. I just can't drive right handed. Only thing is the left hnd stuff is usually the higher end stuff.

BTW Airtronics MX sport is under $100.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/aiko822/MXad.jpg