PDA

View Full Version : 22" scratch cat breaks 40

Jesse J
10-19-2009, 12:26 PM
I figured this guy would flip over on his back or be way too unstable.... instead he rocks. Screwball - glad you are going the scratch cat route, lemme know if you want some help setting it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS1xrUMXo-o

Rumdog
10-19-2009, 01:32 PM
That lil' sucka really moves! Good job man!

screwball
10-25-2009, 09:58 PM
thanks for these vids jesse i just finished building another micro scat cat ( still needs paint) but i will be building a scratch micro cat in late december early january and plan on running twin 380`s.

James

Jeff Wohlt
10-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Great run...and much better music!! :banana:

Simon.O.
10-26-2009, 02:29 AM
22" at over 40 is very cool. :tiphat:
It is interesting to see he has a X438 on the 12S can.
I use a 632 on my 12S fed by 3S lipo
I use the 432 when the 4S pack goes in. :eek:

At 23"(mine) I can say that 40+ is very well done.

That is a beautiful lake to run on.

Jesse J
10-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks guys, Sometimes I realize I am gazing at the mountains, then remember I am boating...

I just noticed that it is an X637 ( it has a 3/16" stub and .150 flex drive).

Simon, I had modified this from the original plans by adding a ridiculously thick ride pad and covering one of the steps. I was thinking about sharing this design mod with you reading your cat thread. I will post some pics of what I did to the bottom. Remember, this is my first balsa cat build... After adding the ride pad it got seriously serious about handling as I tried to demonstrate toward the end when I went flipper boy - landing wet down... only to leap onto the hatch out of the hole.

Glad you liked the muzak Jeff.

befu
10-27-2009, 09:02 PM
OK, I have been reading and watching youtube videos until my eyes bleed! Is that your 14" also? Wow!

I really do need a micro mystic - winter project.

jesse, are the plans you had the shockerman ones? I have been reading up on you, Simon, peels, and others on here for these micros. Please post anything you can about the bottoms on these little cats.

I want something small that the gear from my Sea Rider will work in, so that will limit me to a wet hull length of 15-18". But I also want something I can build a little twin powered cat out of with my big hands, so I am leaning more towards a hull of 17-19"

A 20" mystic should have a wet hull of 17.75" according to the plans. So i may go with that, or 19". Will have to print out a set at 19" and see what room is in the sides for a twin setup.

Again, please add info. I know Simon's original thread about CAT design is active again.... just a hint... LOl!

Thank you

Jesse J
10-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Brian, apart from your disturbing avatar, glad to see another twin cat mind. I did post some pics and dimensions on Simons thread yesterday or so.

This is my 22" cat (not the 14" micro) from the Shockerman plans. He (the micro, not Shockerman) has been sitting under his protective down comforter of dust. That size is VERY limited. twin - I shudder to think of the logistical monstrosities such a tiny work area would provide. This size is GREAT. Even in a 2-3" chop she is great. If you wanted to do a twin project, I would take this 24" (22" wet) hull and stretch its width from its present 7.5" to 8.5" and go from there. It presently has a 3.25" wide tunnel; I would almost be tempted to add the inch to the tunnel and leave the sponsons the same (2 1/8" wide each).

The ride pads are 15.5" long, (8.5" to only step), 5/16" thick, which make the tunnel 3/4" deep.

Here's some of the pics I added to Simon's thread:

befu
10-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Thank you, missed your post in the other thread. Nicely done.

Yeah, I have odd hobbies. Being a mechanical engineer, i enjoy the mechanisms of machine guns and suppressors. Luckily, Indiana is a state that allows me the right to own such items as long as they are properly registered. Between my NFA toys and being a foster parent, I have been fingerprinted more than most NFL football players!

Thank you for the help on the mystic.

Brian

Norman2
10-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Brian, apart from your disturbing avatar, glad to see another twin cat mind. I did post some pics and dimensions on Simons thread yesterday or so.

This is my 22" cat (not the 14" micro) from the Shockerman plans. He (the micro, not Shockerman) has been sitting under his protective down comforter of dust. That size is VERY limited. twin - I shudder to think of the logistical monstrosities such a tiny work area would provide. This size is GREAT. Even in a 2-3" chop she is great. If you wanted to do a twin project, I would take this 24" (22" wet) hull and stretch its width from its present 7.5" to 8.5" and go from there. It presently has a 3.25" wide tunnel; I would almost be tempted to add the inch to the tunnel and leave the sponsons the same (2 1/8" wide each).

The ride pads are 15.5" long, (8.5" to only step), 5/16" thick, which make the tunnel 3/4" deep.

Here's some of the pics I added to Simon's thread:
Hi Jesse, I am attaching a photo of my cat's bottom. The Cat handles great and
have had no problems with building it how your plans instructed. I will never
touch the bottom. What are the chances of getting some plans to build a 34"
of the same design. Regards
Norman

Jesse J
10-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Nice bottom, dude.. uh - wait, that didn't sound right. I meant the lady, she has got some nice shape and I like the staggered strakes. Any vids? How does she turn, kinda slide or hook like the MM?

Chances on more plans? well just because its Halloween, I would give them 100%. All I have to do is blow them up to those dimensions and save as PDF then email em... mere minutes my friend.

I should put these plans in all the different dimensions people have asked for on my website.... hmmmmm coming soon. I will try to get these to you before too long. PM me your email again.
J