PDA

View Full Version : Rio EP my thoughts

soulreaper
10-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Got my Rio Ep yesterday 10.9.09 from tower hobbies. During my initial checks I noticed that I was missing one set screw for the motor coupler. The coupler is supposed to have four set screws. The left trim plate was bent. The steering system sits on a "U type" bracket. I had to straighten my bracket. Make sure you check every screw to make sure they are tight, because most of mine were loose.

After making all necessary adjustments, I checked the boat over again. This is a nice looking boat. :rockon2: The radio that is supplied with the boat is the same as the tower hobbies 224 radio. I did a review of this radio on the Traxxas Emaxx forum. This radio works very good and is hard to beat for the money. I have NEVER had a problem with this radio. The only complaint I had about the radio is that it does not have any "Center dot markings" The manual does not list any specs for the stock esc that comes with this boat. The manual only says that you can use a 7.2v or 8.4v battery. If you plan on using a 8.4v battery make sure it is a hump pack. You will "NOT" have enough room for a 7cell stick pack. "Dont even try it"

I went to the lake this morning. The lake was completely calm. I threw in my 7.4v 5000mah 30C lipo. I thought this pack might be a little heavy but it was fine. The Rio comes on plane very quickly and it handles great. Its a pleasure to drive. The Rio is very slow. It doesnt even come close to the speed of the AQuacraft video. They might be running 8.4v in the video. After I finish this review im going to see if this esc can handle an 11.1v lipo. 11.1v lipo woke my Apache 24 up immediately That is all for now stay tuned. Remember this is just my "OPINION" I am "NOT" an expert, or a pro. I am glad I bought this boat and if something happens to this one I will buy another, no questions asked. Like everyone else I am going to start looking up brushless motors.

Reaper

soulreaper
10-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Went to the lake again, this time I used an 11.1v 3000mah 30C lipo battery. This woke the Rio up, and there was a big difference in speed. The motor was still cool to touch. I dont know if this esc is rated for 11.1v but so far it hasnt been a problem. I'll keep running this set-up and see if the esc can handle it. Stay tuned.

Reaper

soulreaper
10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Just an update. I will be heading out to the lake in the morning, 10.15.09. I will run the boat again with the 11.1v lipo listed in the above post. I will let you know how it goes. There does not seem to be much interest in my post but I will continue to update for a while. Oh yeah all of my brushless components will be in next week and by next weekend the Rio will be brushless. I will post results If my setup works, and people are interested.

Reaper.

chummer
10-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Reaper,
Keep us posted. I have ordered 3 of these, 2 for my boys and 1 for me :bounce: I am interested to see how this holds up. I will probably upgrade mine to with SV27 electronics at some point. What did you order to upgrade yours.

Keep us up to date:thumbup:

soulreaper
10-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Ran the Rio today again on 11.1v. So far the esc has worked without a flaw. On 11.1v The boat torques hard to the right. I tried to counter this by adding a little left steering input, but as soon as you let up the boat shoots back to the right violently. Am I supposed to adjust the right trim tab to counter this?? Please tell me how to deal with this. Thanks in advance.

Reaper.

westbeach
10-15-2009, 09:31 AM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=10118

BTW V-Spec has done a thread on the Rio. Maybe you should video your runs to share with us, and the difference the batteries make up in speed.:thumbup1:

There does not seem to be much interest in my post but I will continue to update for a while. I will post results If my setup works, and people are interested.

Reaper.

Steven Vaccaro
10-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks for all the info. What mah lipo pack are you using?

soulreaper
10-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Vaccaro, I am using a 11.1v 2800 mah pack. I run the boat for ten minutes at a time. The lowest cell voltages after a ten minute run are 3.77,3.74,3.77. The voltages are measured with a lipo cell tester. The motor temp is still low after ten minute runs. I can hold my finger on the motor all day long, with NO discomfort at all. However I dont know the esc temp, because it takes to much effort to get to it at the lake. So far the esc has performed without a problem on a 3cells. Only time will tell how long this esc will work on 3cells.

Reaper

Steven Vaccaro
10-16-2009, 10:12 AM
thanks for the detailed numbers. I think you are wise to stop at the ten minute mark. Thats why I asked about the mah. With all the high mah packs out there the runtime can get crazy.

Grimracer
10-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Got my Rio Ep yesterday 10.9.09 from tower hobbies. During my initial checks I noticed that I was missing one set screw for the motor coupler. The coupler is supposed to have four set screws. The left trim plate was bent. The steering system sits on a "U type" bracket. I had to straighten my bracket. Make sure you check every screw to make sure they are tight, because most of mine were loose.

After making all necessary adjustments, I checked the boat over again. This is a nice looking boat. :rockon2: The radio that is supplied with the boat is the same as the tower hobbies 224 radio. I did a review of this radio on the Traxxas Emaxx forum. This radio works very good and is hard to beat for the money. I have NEVER had a problem with this radio. The only complaint I had about the radio is that it does not have any "Center dot markings" The manual does not list any specs for the stock esc that comes with this boat. The manual only says that you can use a 7.2v or 8.4v battery. If you plan on using a 8.4v battery make sure it is a hump pack. You will "NOT" have enough room for a 7cell stick pack. "Dont even try it"

I went to the lake this morning. The lake was completely calm. I threw in my 7.4v 5000mah 30C lipo. I thought this pack might be a little heavy but it was fine. The Rio comes on plane very quickly and it handles great. Its a pleasure to drive. The Rio is very slow. It doesnt even come close to the speed of the AQuacraft video. They might be running 8.4v in the video. After I finish this review im going to see if this esc can handle an 11.1v lipo. 11.1v lipo woke my Apache 24 up immediately That is all for now stay tuned. Remember this is just my "OPINION" I am "NOT" an expert, or a pro. I am glad I bought this boat and if something happens to this one I will buy another, no questions asked. Like everyone else I am going to start looking up brushless motors.

Reaper

Reaper,

The coupler is uses only 3 set screws.. It is drilled for 4 but only ships with 3 (only need one on the motor shaft.

We used 7.4V humps in the video shoot. Something to keep in mind.. The closer the boat is zoomed in the faster it looks.. “try it some time” Rocken speed!

Thanks for the overview..

Grimracer

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Hey good posts reaper, keep them coming. I'm working on my Rio as well. I fried the stock esc after about 2 weeks using a 7.2v 3300mah nimh. Not sure how, I've read other sites that say the stock esc is kinda weak. I changed my esc to a Traxxas XL-5 and havent had any problems. I also changed the motor to a Titan 12T which im going to prob change again soon. Not sure if im going to go brushless wth this boat, im prob going to buy a supervee.

soulreaper
10-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks Diesel. Your custom paint job is awesome. I wish I had painting skills, but I dont know the first thing about painting. Nice pictures all the way around. I am now in the process of going brushless. I posted pictures of what I have so far in the "Brushless Soon thread"

Reaper.

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks Diesel. Your custom paint job is awesome. I wish I had painting skills, but I dont know the first thing about painting. Nice pictures all the way around. I am now in the process of going brushless. I posted pictures of what I have so far in the "Brushless Soon thread"

Reaper.

Thanx. O I suck at painting, all I did was cut around the existing decals with a razor blade making sure not to cut the hull and leaving the design I wanted on the boat. Then grabbed some waterproof paint for abs plastic and use some scotch brite to scuff up the hull for the paint to stick. After that wipe it down with some rubbing alcohol and use masking tape around the rest. All in all it took about 6 hours to do maybe less. But I did it while I was at work so made it that much better :thumbup1:

chummer
10-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Diesel,
Your Rio looks good. Can you post a better pic with the hatch on. I am interested in how that 12T will push this boat. When are you going to run it?

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Diesel,
Your Rio looks good. Can you post a better pic with the hatch on. I am interested in how that 12T will push this boat. When are you going to run it?

Thanx. I'm currently at work, but when I get a chance I will try and post better pics and with the hatch on. I took it with my cell phone that's y that kinda looks like crap. Shockingly the 12t didn't make that huge of a difference compared to the stock motor. I am going to change the prop to a smaller one and hopefully try and run it tomorrow or monday. I am also going to try and buy a bigger battery, 9.6v 5000mah nimh. Not looking to go lipo just yet, this is my first and only rc boat so I'm still learing.

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I had my wife who's at the house doing nothing text me this cell phone pic real fast for you. Not the best, but you should be able to get the idea.

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 02:01 PM
You guys think this will work ok in a Rio, normally its in a geared system.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001811485&I=LXXWM5&P=K

Brushless55
10-17-2009, 02:56 PM
You guys think this will work ok in a Rio, normally its in a geared system.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001811485&I=LXXWM5&P=K

Oh man! you red my mind.. :w00t:
I was thinking of ging with the VXL setup for my Rio EP, that motor puts out alot of power and run on 2s should have plenty of speed and power..
only thing I think you could get simular results with less money with a cheaper motor and esc..

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Oh man! you red my mind.. :w00t:
I was thinking of ging with the VXL setup for my Rio EP, that motor puts out alot of power and run on 2s should have plenty of speed and power..
only thing I think you could get simular results with less money with a cheaper motor and esc..

Have you found a cheaper setup yet? I'm still looking, others had problems with their vxl esc in cars, im curious how it would handle a boat. Maybe worth it just for the hell of it :rockon2:

Brushless55
10-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Have you found a cheaper setup yet? I'm still looking, others had problems with their vxl esc in cars, im curious how it would handle a boat. Maybe worth it just for the hell of it :rockon2:

I think it was the first gen VXL esc that had issues? not sure though..
I did have that setup in my Revo and it worked good, and that was in a 10lb truck!

I have a HM 100A esc that was only 25bucks and a $30 KD36-60 motor that I'm going to try, only issue I see with my setup is the KV is 4,000
So I will only try this on 2s
my motor http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6672&Product_Name=KD36-60-06L_4000kv_Brushless_Inrunner

I may goto this one.. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6671&Product_Name=KD36-50-12S_2900kv_Brushless_Inrunner

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Shaft dia on these motor is 5mm, stock Rio motor has 3mm dia, will this motor fit on the stock coupler or will i have to make the diameter bigger? What size would be equal to a 550 motor, "S" or "L"?

Brushless55
10-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Shaft dia on these motor is 5mm, stock Rio motor has 3mm dia, will this motor fit on the stock coupler or will i have to make the diameter bigger?

I'm going to file down the shaft to fit the coupler.. :thumbup1:

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Check This motor, I may have found a winner for me

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=5146

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 04:38 PM
whats the shaft diameter of the Velineon 3500 Motor, i cant find it?!?

chummer
10-17-2009, 05:25 PM

It is a standard 540 motor. It will have a 3mm shaft same as the 12T.

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 05:31 PM
It is a standard 540 motor. It will have a 3mm shaft same as the 12T.

Hey thanx alot

soulreaper
10-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey guys if you decide to use a motor that has a 5mm shaft just order the 5mm to .130 flex hex coupler the OSE sells. I have this same adapter. Check out the picture I posted in the "Brushless Soon Thread"

Reaper.

Brushless55
10-17-2009, 10:18 PM

Are you going with the VXL motor?

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Are you going with the VXL motor?

Yea im seriously thinking about it, only thing that sux is im just thinking if i should just buy the supervee now for a $100 more though and get the vxl later or do it now and get the supervee later. Not sure what I want to do. If I do get the vxl now I would just put the traxxas set up i have in my Rio in my buddies Apache 24 cuz that thing needs desperate help, especially since I flipped it the other day :tongue_smilie: lol. Right now I'm looking at cheap China crap on ebay and see if I can find a super cheap brushless combo. I dont have enough funds to do what I want.

Brushless55
10-17-2009, 11:10 PM
They do have some 3000kv motor esc combos for about 80-100bucks

Brushless55
10-17-2009, 11:11 PM
I have two SVs and dig them!

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 11:30 PM
They do have some 3000kv motor esc combos for about 80-100bucks

Check this out
http://cgi.ebay.com/eZRun-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-System-13T-RC-Car-Truck_W0QQitemZ370270412052QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_T oysGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item5635d61d14

Diesel6401
10-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Hey guys if you decide to use a motor that has a 5mm shaft just order the 5mm to .130 flex hex coupler the OSE sells. I have this same adapter. Check out the picture I posted in the "Brushless Soon Thread"

Reaper.

Thank, I have it on my watch list and will prob order it next week.

Brushless55
10-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Check this out
http://cgi.ebay.com/eZRun-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-System-13T-RC-Car-Truck_W0QQitemZ370270412052QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_T oysGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item5635d61d14

That's just the one I was thinking!
That should do just fine, should put this boat in the 30s easy

chummer
10-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Just a suggestion,

If you buy a supervee then you will have to run it on 4s. Do you already have the batteries? If not that is going to be another purchase. Get it working with the 12T since you already have it.

You could post a WTB in the swap shop and see if you can get a used SV27 then you would have the electronics and hardware to put on the Rio at a later date.

I am still waiting on my EP and I have not seen one other than pictures so I can't say for sure but my thoughts are that once you have it converted it will be a better handling boat than the SV. The downside of the Rio is the ABS hull where as the SV is glass.

:beerchug:

Diesel6401
10-19-2009, 04:57 PM
I tried a smaller prop a few moments ago and I lost about 1.5mph on the boat and it was a lot slower to get on plane. I need more power, prob gonna grab a 8.4nimh. Not going to lipo yet, just cant efford it at this time

Diesel6401
10-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Just a suggestion,

If you buy a supervee then you will have to run it on 4s. Do you already have the batteries? If not that is going to be another purchase. Get it working with the 12T since you already have it.

You could post a WTB in the swap shop and see if you can get a used SV27 then you would have the electronics and hardware to put on the Rio at a later date.

I am still waiting on my EP and I have not seen one other than pictures so I can't say for sure but my thoughts are that once you have it converted it will be a better handling boat than the SV. The downside of the Rio is the ABS hull where as the SV is glass.

I really like the dual rudder set up on the RIO and the over all look of the boat and the 2.4ghz radio system is awesome. If I did buy a sv I would put the RIO radio system in it without a doubt. Im honestly leaning more towards going brushless with my RIO at this moment. We will see how much of a beating the ABS hull can handle.

soulreaper
10-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Update on my Rio. All of my brushless components are in. Tomorrow all items will be installed. I might even get a chance to test the boat also. If not I will test it out Thursday, as long as the weather holds. I will post pictures tomorrow after the components are installed.

Reaper.

SweetZ28
10-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi if you don't mind me asking what KV brushless motor did you use?
Thanks

Update on my Rio. All of my brushless components are in. Tomorrow all items will be installed. I might even get a chance to test the boat also. If not I will test it out Thursday, as long as the weather holds. I will post pictures tomorrow after the components are installed.

Reaper.

soulreaper
10-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Sweetz28, I dont mind you asking the question. I was trying to wait until after I had tested my setup before I posted all the information, but here it is. 2350kv. I'll tell all Wednesday. Hope this helps for now.

Reaper.

SweetZ28
10-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Sweetz28, I dont mind you asking the question. I was trying to wait until after I had tested my setup before I posted all the information, but here it is. 2350kv. I'll tell all Wednesday. Hope this helps for now.

Reaper.
Are you going to run 2S? I ran a 3300KV in my apache 24 on 2S only went like 18.7mph. Sounds like you will be running 3s with that KV?

Diesel6401
10-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Are you going to run 2S? I ran a 3300KV in my apache 24 on 2S only went like 18.7mph. Sounds like you will be running 3s with that KV?

That doesn't sound right. I get almost 15mph in a Rio with a Titan 12t brushed with a 7.2 3300mah nimh stick. You should be getting way more speed than that brushless. What type of motor/esc do you have.

SweetZ28
10-20-2009, 05:58 PM
That doesn't sound right. I get almost 15mph in a Rio with a Titan 12t brushed with a 7.2 3300mah nimh stick. You should be getting way more speed than that brushless. What type of motor/esc do you have.

Yea i know but i don't in fact i used to have a traxxas titan 12 in my boat? Also i measured motor RPM at 7.2V titan 12 =26,00RPM and 3300Kv =22,900rpm on my slot car RPM checker...so a Titain 12 has much more RPM that's why it's not that much of a differeance..

soulreaper
10-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I will test it out with a 2cell and a 3cell.

Reaper.

SweetZ28
10-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I will test it out with a 2cell and a 3cell.

Reaper.

Ok let us know how she goes.

soulreaper
10-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Will do

SweetZ28
10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
what prop you using and are you going to GPS for speed?

soulreaper
10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
No I dont have any GPS devices. I will record a video and post it on this forum. For now Im using the stock prop until I get the proper tubing to covert over to 3/16, that way I will have a better choice of props. I will place an order after testing is complete with the setup that I have now.

SweetZ28
10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Ok that's cool.

soulreaper
10-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Z28 is there any update on your Apache 24? I also have an Apache 24, and was wondering if I should try and Mod it after I finish the mod on my Rio

Reaper

SweetZ28
10-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi look in the proboat section there is 2 posts of info on it... I trieda 3300KV but it was not much faster than a traxxas titan 12....so i tried my 4300KV novak system and that thing reved way to much ...think a 3500KV to 3700KV with 2S would be good.

soulreaper
10-20-2009, 09:00 PM
ok thanks

Reaper

Brushless55
10-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi look in the proboat section there is 2 posts of info on it... I trieda 3300KV but it was not much faster than a traxxas titan 12....so i tried my 4300KV novak system and that thing reved way to much ...think a 3500KV to 3700KV with 2S would be good.

Have you tried the 3300kv on 3s?
that could get things done!

SweetZ28
10-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Have you tried the 3300kv on 3s?
that could get things done!

Hi no i have not I don't have 3s packs I was trying to make a pretty nice boat that will run on 2S on 3s at 3300KV =36,630 RPM i think it would be a bit to much for the 24" boat?

Brushless55
10-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi no i have not I don't have 3s packs I was trying to make a pretty nice boat that will run on 2S on 3s at 3300KV =36,630 RPM i think it would be a bit to much for the 24" boat?

In a small boat like that it would be fine as long you use a small prop.
also you can try and prop up with that motor while using 2s.. :thumbup1:

SweetZ28
10-21-2009, 08:59 AM
In a small boat like that it would be fine as long you use a small prop.
also you can try and prop up with that motor while using 2s.. :thumbup1:

Hi on the 3300KV on 2s I tried 42mm down to 35mm seemed like the 38mm was fastest I was going to try a 45mm but i thought it would be to big?

Brushless55
10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi on the 3300KV on 2s I tried 42mm down to 35mm seemed like the 38mm was fastest I was going to try a 45mm but i thought it would be to big?

Give it a spin bro, it could be the ticket!
just do small runs and check your temps

SweetZ28
10-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Give it a spin bro, it could be the ticket!
just do small runs and check your temps

Just tried it it is slow 18.6MPH i may have to try 3s but i may just buy a new motor... thing is the boats funny it always feels like it never gets high on plane out of the water it always feels wetI have videos of it going no mater how much i angle the prop strut it seems to stay the same?

Brushless55
10-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Hmmm, something sounds off? :confused2:
that puppy should scoot!

what batteries are you using?

Diesel6401
10-21-2009, 04:50 PM
My friend has a apache 24 and stock it beats the rio out the gate easy, but the rio will catch it after a 10ft and smoke it. hes had nothing but problems with that boat and i think im going to stay away from proboat. once i get my vxl system for my rio ill prob put my titan 12t and xl5 esc in his boat. I changed his prop to the extra prop that comes with the rio and it made it decent difference and his boat stock would beat m the rio stock

SweetZ28
10-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't know i p[ut a flex cable and turn fin and all on the apache 24 I am thinking the boat hull stinks..I bet i put it in another hul and it goes faster.

Diesel6401
10-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Yea i know but i don't in fact i used to have a traxxas titan 12 in my boat? Also i measured motor RPM at 7.2V titan 12 =26,00RPM and 3300Kv =22,900rpm on my slot car RPM checker...so a Titain 12 has much more RPM that's why it's not that much of a differeance..

How did you measure the RPM of the titan, i didn't think it would be that high? Do you think a 10t 3500kv brushless motor would get my RIO into the 25-30mph range?

SweetZ28
10-21-2009, 11:29 PM
How did you measure the RPM of the titan, i didn't think it would be that high? Do you think a 10t 3500kv brushless motor would get my RIO into the 25-30mph range?

Hi i have a digital unit that measurs RPM for my slot cars and the titan 12 is way faster you can hear the sound of them both with hooking the 3300kv up with a battery and flooring it with just the motor only and then do the same with the titan 12 it screams and revs much faster.
for the 3500 it depends some motors i hear are rated differently it should hit the 20's .

Brushless55
10-21-2009, 11:47 PM

I think that motor should kick!
the stock motor is only rated at about 12-14,000rpm on a 6cell pack

Diesel6401
10-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Just a suggestion,

Do I have to have lipos or do you think 2 8.4 nimh would be ok in the SV? I may order it today.

Brushless55
10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
lipos have alot more punch over nimh, but those can be used

SweetZ28
10-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Do I have to have lipos or do you think 2 8.4 nimh would be ok in the SV? I may order it today.

I used nimh in my SV27 it works but with lipos it came alive and went way faster.

Diesel6401
10-22-2009, 12:46 PM
I used nimh in my SV27 it works but with lipos it came alive and went way faster.

How much of a difference in terms of speed. We talking 1-3mph or 4+mph?!? Just curious

SweetZ28
10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
How much of a difference in terms of speed. We talking 1-3mph or 4+mph?!? Just curious

Did not GPS it but it's like night and day it feels like a V6 compaired to a V8 in a lets say camaro compaired to a camaro Z28 :tongue_smilie:

Diesel6401
10-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Did not GPS it but it's like night and day it feels like a V6 compaired to a V8 in a lets say camaro compaired to a camaro Z28 :tongue_smilie:

HAHAHA, ok thanks man. If you ever have a chance to GPS it I would love to know the results of NIMH compare to LiPO.

Brushless55
10-22-2009, 01:44 PM
You will love the results with lipos!
I have some nimh batteries, and all they do is take up space on my shelves..

Diesel6401
10-22-2009, 02:15 PM
I just placed my order through tower for the sv27!!! pumped, cant wait

SweetZ28
10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
I just placed my order through tower for the sv27!!! pumped, cant wait

Your going to love it!!! i had like 6 boats and when i gave my SV27 a run all my other boats where lame and felt like snails after driving the SV27!!
In fact i sold almost all of em after my first SV27 run!!!:rofl:
What color did you get?

Diesel6401
10-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Your going to love it!!! i had like 6 boats and when i gave my SV27 a run all my other boats where lame and felt like snails after driving the SV27!!
In fact i sold almost all of em after my first SV27 run!!!:rofl:
What color did you get?

I purchased the White one, I plan on painting it pretty much as soon as I get it. I also bought the port side turn fin and some 8.4nimh batteries for it. I'm sure I'll go Lipo eventually, but now its't the time. I read Aquacraft may come out with a FE VS1. :rockon2:

SweetZ28
10-22-2009, 06:50 PM
I purchased the White one, I plan on painting it pretty much as soon as I get it. I also bought the port side turn fin and some 8.4nimh batteries for it. I'm sure I'll go Lipo eventually, but now its't the time. I read Aquacraft may come out with a FE VS1. :rockon2:
COOL!
I seen a sneak photo of the new aquacraft boat it is going to be a beauty for sure I am going to get one!

Diesel6401
10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
COOL!
I seen a sneak photo of the new aquacraft boat it is going to be a beauty for sure I am going to get one!

I seen a pic of that one as well, they may becoming out with 2 new boats then. The one we seen and maybe a brushless vs1 rtr. That would be sick, I won't be getting another one for a while! Wife is a little angered I spent over $400 at tower today all i heard was :blah::blah::blah: O well lol

Diesel6401
10-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Reaper.

So it's Thursday how did the testing go?!?

Brushless55
10-22-2009, 09:35 PM
What new boats? :confused2:

Diesel6401
10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
What new boats? :confused2:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=10729
The link is for the posible FE VS1 and im not sure what the proto hull is called

Brushless55
10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
here is the mini cat..

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub19-main.html

Brushless55
10-22-2009, 10:02 PM
I'de love to see a FE VS1

Diesel6401
10-22-2009, 10:33 PM
here is the mini cat..

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub19-main.html

Looks pretty cool, not for me though. I'm not really into the mini's

Diesel6401
10-23-2009, 02:20 AM
I was doing some reading on the SuperVee and came accross something that said that 2 8.4v 7 cells were to much for the bec and burning out the rx and that if using anything other than 2 6 cells nimh you should use a rx battery box. Did anyone else hear about this or is anyone using larger than 6 cell batteries on their supervee.

SweetZ28
10-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I was doing some reading on the SuperVee and came accross something that said that 2 8.4v 7 cells were to much for the bec and burning out the rx and that if using anything other than 2 6 cells nimh you should use a rx battery box. Did anyone else hear about this or is anyone using larger than 6 cell batteries on their supervee.
I never got higher than 2s lipo but they do sell electronic becs if you need it this way you do not need to carry the extra battery weight.
Also i am runnin a Carbon Fiber 45mm prop with your batteries i would use the CF 42mm prop the 45 may heat your packs up to much... Reason why i am saying to use these props they work way better than the stock SV prop the stock prop cavatates and the boat takes for ever to get on plane but with the CF props the boat pops right up out of the water and takes off like a rocket!

Diesel6401
10-23-2009, 02:23 PM
I never got higher than 2s lipo but they do sell electronic becs if you need it this way you do not need to carry the extra battery weight.
Also i am runnin a Carbon Fiber 45mm prop with your batteries i would use the CF 42mm prop the 45 may heat your packs up to much... Reason why i am saying to use these props they work way better than the stock SV prop the stock prop cavatates and the boat takes for ever to get on plane but with the CF props the boat pops right up out of the water and takes off like a rocket!

Thanks, I will look into those props. I just ordered the SV adjustable trim tabs from OSE. Do you use these? I also ordered the port side turn fin. I'm trying to make this boat as stable as I can, I'm not the best driver in the world :thumbup:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-tab1015

Diesel6401
10-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Where did you order those props from OSE? Is it 2 bladed or 3 and is the shaft dia of the SV 3/16?

SweetZ28
10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks, I will look into those props. I just ordered the SV adjustable trim tabs from OSE. Do you use these? I also ordered the port side turn fin. I'm trying to make this boat as stable as I can, I'm not the best driver in the world :thumbup:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-tab1015

I was going to get the tabs but i did not get them yet and i also have a turn fin but never put it on I don't think you need it... But definitly get the groupner carbon fiber 42mm prop if you are running NIMH it should work great.

Diesel6401
10-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Do you think I should run my 6 cell 3300s? Instead of the 7 cell 4600s?

Diesel6401
10-23-2009, 02:31 PM
I was going to get the tabs but i did not get them yet and i also have a turn fin but never put it on I don't think you need it... But definitly get the groupner carbon fiber 42mm prop if you are running NIMH it should work great.

This one ? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-2317.42

SweetZ28
10-23-2009, 02:39 PM
This one ? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-2317.42

Yes that is it... if you go lipo get a 45mm with Nimh the 42mm will be easy on the batts.

SweetZ28
10-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Do you think I should run my 6 cell 3300s? Instead of the 7 cell 4600s?

If there good quality you should be able to use both....

Diesel6401
10-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes that is it... if you go lipo get a 45mm with Nimh the 42mm will be easy on the batts.

Awesome I will order it, any idea on which batteries I should use?

SweetZ28
10-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Awesome I will order it, any idea on which batteries I should use?
You can use both your NIMH packs if they are a good quality pack.

Diesel6401
10-23-2009, 03:04 PM
You can use both your NIMH packs if they are a good quality pack.

These are the packs I plan on using, do you think they are ok? I'm new to RC boats if you can't tell.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001811485&I=LXUHD6&P=K

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKWU7&P=ML

SweetZ28
10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
These are the packs I plan on using, do you think they are ok? I'm new to RC boats if you can't tell.

Hi the 3300 batts look like they are not a good quality but the 4600 looks good... you can try the 3300 with the 42mm prop it should be less strain on them time your runs and as soon as speed gets slower stop running if you keep running once the battery power gets weak that's when you will heat everything up and it's not good to do at all.... run the boat a few min check temps on batteries and motor do this until you figure out how many min you can run saftly so nothing over heats. this way you will learn how many min you will be able to drive the boat and take it in before you heat things up.
Also you need to get female deans connectors and solder them onto the packs you purchased because that's what the super V 27 uses.

Diesel6401
10-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi the 3300 batts look like they are not a good quality but the 4600 looks good... you can try the 3300 with the 42mm prop it should be less strain on them time your runs and as soon as speed gets slower stop running if you keep running once the battery power gets weak that's when you will heat everything up and it's not good to do at all.... run the boat a few min check temps on batteries and motor do this until you figure out how many min you can run saftly so nothing over heats. this way you will learn how many min you will be able to drive the boat and take it in before you heat things up.
Also you need to get female deans connectors and solder them onto the packs you purchased because that's what the super V 27 uses.

I purchased the std to deans adaptor as well for the batteries. I want to run both sets of batteries in my RIO as well which uses the traxxas adaptor in it since I have a XL5 esc. I may convert the 4600s though since they will be a better fit for the SV. Right now I will use the adaptor until I figure out what works best. Once I get the boat and customize it I'll put some pics up. Only major change will be a new paint job, port side turn fin, upgraded trim tabs, new prop and better waterproofing. Eventually I will prob put the UL-1 esc and motor in the SV than use the SV esc and motor in my RIO. That's down the road though.

SweetZ28
10-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I purchased the std to deans adaptor as well for the batteries. I want to run both sets of batteries in my RIO as well which uses the traxxas adaptor in it since I have a XL5 esc. I may convert the 4600s though since they will be a better fit for the SV. Right now I will use the adaptor until I figure out what works best.

Hi you can't use those with the high current the SV27 pulls they will melt you need to replace the batteries with deans or replace the sv27 with traxxas plugs and the batteries with traxxas plugs.
Those connectors don't work good at all ..

Diesel6401
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi you can't use those with the high current the SV27 pulls they will melt you need to replace the batteries with deans or replace the sv27 with traxxas plugs and the batteries with traxxas plugs.
Those connectors don't work good at all ..

Wow, I did not know that. I will convert the 4600s to deans.

SweetZ28
10-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Your doing the right thing those tamiya type plugs will probably melt!

Brushless55
10-23-2009, 08:37 PM

For the price of those packs, I would get lipos for less than the nimh batteries
just my opinion

Diesel6401
10-23-2009, 09:48 PM
For the price of those packs, I would get lipos for less than the nimh batteries
just my opinion

The 3300 I already have, I bought those when I bought the RIO at the hobby shop. I purchased the 4600s yesterday along with the supervee. I already have 2 chargers for nimh batteries and if I went lipo I would need different batteries and also need to get other equipment to support them. Nimh seem to just be a lot simplier to me, and since I don't race and pretty much run the boats by myself it's all I really need at this time. Things could change though. I prob going to change my connectors over to deans on both my 3300s sunday and also change the connector on my XL5 esc as well. Opinions are always welcome :thumbup1:

SweetZ28
10-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi change to deans plugs... Don't worry about the lipo packs they are better but they need special charger and specail care and storage and if you are new to this rc thing i would not get lipos as lot's of care needs to be taken with use of them or you can burn your house to the ground they are not safe like NIMH .

Brushless55
10-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Hi change to deans plugs... Don't worry about the lipo packs they are better but they need special charger and specail care and storage and if you are new to this rc thing i would not get lipos as lot's of care needs to be taken with use of them or you can burn your house to the ground they are not safe like NIMH .

What? no way..
lipo batteries are very easy to use.. :thumbup1:
the only ones who start fires and burn up a house, are the dumb people who should not be in this hobby..
I have many batteries and have yet to see a spark, many hypes about lipo batteries that are not true

Brushless55
10-24-2009, 12:31 AM
The 3300 I already have, I bought those when I bought the RIO at the hobby shop. I purchased the 4600s yesterday along with the supervee. I already have 2 chargers for nimh batteries and if I went lipo I would need different batteries and also need to get other equipment to support them. Nimh seem to just be a lot simplier to me, and since I don't race and pretty much run the boats by myself it's all I really need at this time. Things could change though. I prob going to change my connectors over to deans on both my 3300s sunday and also change the connector on my XL5 esc as well. Opinions are always welcome :thumbup1:

keep us posted man!
for sure change to some better connectors, lets more current flow
you will love the SV27, very limple boat to run, and on 7cells it should run real nice! :thumbup:

soulreaper
10-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I agree with Brushless. As long as they are handled properly lipo batteries are safe. A few simple rules. Do not over charge, do not over discharge. Never leave them charging unattended. You should never leave any type battery unattended while charging.

Reaper.

Diesel6401
10-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Just changed the connectors on my batteries to deans and also changed the esc connector over as well. Sadly one of the wires on one of my batteries slipped out of my hand while soldering and may have shorted out the battery since it's not working now. Lucky it was only a $20 battery.

Diesel6401
10-26-2009, 05:37 PM
What prop are you guys using on your RIO's?:confused1:

Brushless55
10-26-2009, 09:21 PM
What prop are you guys using on your RIO's?:confused1:

I did some runs yesterday and tried the stock prop on 2s then on 3s, then tried a y535 on 3s, then a CF48 on 2s then on 3s..
I meant to try my a s220 but totally forgot about that prop..
best speed was the CF48 on 3s and that only got me 19mph.. :crying:

I'm going to try a Team Orion Revolution 13x1 on 2s with the y535 and see how that works :thumbup1:

Rumdog
10-26-2009, 10:02 PM
You used a cf48 on this boat!?!?! Holy crap, the propwalk must have been ridiculous!

Brushless55
10-26-2009, 10:14 PM
nah, it really wasn't that bad..

Diesel6401
10-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Just changed the connectors on my batteries to deans and also changed the esc connector over as well. Sadly one of the wires on one of my batteries slipped out of my hand while soldering and may have shorted out the battery since it's not working now. Lucky it was only a $20 battery.

Anyway of saving this batt or am I just :cursing: outta luck?!?

soulreaper
10-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Diesel, that happened to me once before, but with a lipo. That scared the out of me. I got lucky and was able to snatch one of the wires free. The lipo did survive. Thats why all of my lipos are cheap E-bay batteries.

Reaper.

Brushless55
10-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Anyway of saving this batt or am I just :cursing: outta luck?!?

Open up the pack, it could be just a bad tab.. :popcorn2:

Diesel6401
10-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Open up the pack, it could be just a bad tab.. :popcorn2:

The bare + & - wires touched while soldering. That could cause a bad tab?!? If that is the case how to fix?!?

SweetZ28
10-27-2009, 01:59 PM
The bare + & - wires touched while soldering. That could cause a bad tab?!? If that is the case how to fix?!?

First measure for voltage at the end of the 2 plugs wires...If reading is zero then next go around the shrink wrap where the plastic end cap is on the pack and cut around it and pull the cap off see if the wire melted off where they put it on to the pack if so just solder it back on...if this don't help and you find nothing under the cap then take the rear one off and look if the end tab got disconnected from the pack... Also how long was it shorted out for?

Rumdog
10-27-2009, 02:11 PM
diesel, do you have a lipo charger?

Diesel6401
10-28-2009, 04:01 PM
diesel, do you have a lipo charger?

No I don't. I did just purchase a nice new nimh charger though. Sadly it didn't recognize the battery either. Im going to have to open the pack up tomorrow. Reason I bout a new charger is the brand new 7c 4600mah battery I got in the mail yesterday is having problems already. I charged booth batteries and one said done in like 20ms which i knew was a bunch of crap so I threw both new batteries in my sv27 which i also got yesterday and I got nothin. I then took the battery and threw it in my RIO and the ESC wouldn't even turn on so I bought a better charger and the battery seems to be taking a good charge now. And since I now have a digital read out I can tell the battery is really charging. I took the good 7c i had and through it in the RIO and boy did it wake that thing up. I didn't gps it but it was that fastest the boat has ever gone and the biggest rooster tail the boat has ever had. Just a quess I say pushing 18mph and the titan 12t really woke up with the 8.4v batt.

Diesel6401
10-28-2009, 04:03 PM
First measure for voltage at the end of the 2 plugs wires...If reading is zero then next go around the shrink wrap where the plastic end cap is on the pack and cut around it and pull the cap off see if the wire melted off where they put it on to the pack if so just solder it back on...if this don't help and you find nothing under the cap then take the rear one off and look if the end tab got disconnected from the pack... Also how long was it shorted out for?

It was shorted for about a 1 second, super quick. I have to take it to work tomorrow because my Fluke meter is in my tool box and I don't have one at the house.

SweetZ28
10-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi what model charger are you using?

Diesel6401
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi what model charger are you using?

I was using the duratrax onyx 100 which didn't allow me to view the input or change the inputs. I am now using the duratrax pirahna digital peak charger and so for so good.

Diesel6401
10-28-2009, 08:43 PM
I got my SV in the mail yesterday, had a brief chance to run it today for a few moment. HOLY :cursing: is it fast. Considering the RIO was my 1st boat I ever owned this is a HUGE jump. Does anyone use any additional water pickups, if soo what the brand and part number and where did you purchase?!?

SweetZ28
10-28-2009, 08:54 PM
I got my SV in the mail yesterday, had a brief chance to run it today for a few moment. HOLY :cursing: is it fast. Considering the RIO was my 1st boat I ever owned this is a HUGE jump. Does anyone use any additional water pickups, if soo what the brand and part number and where did you purchase?!?

:rofl: Told you it was fast!! did you use a 42CF prop?
Also Steve sells parts for the SV27
I have this it works very good.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-mjacket&cat=52

Diesel6401
10-28-2009, 09:08 PM
:rofl: Told you it was fast!! did you use a 42CF prop?
Also Steve sells parts for the SV27
I have this it works very good.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-mjacket&cat=52

Fast it is... I did not use the prop yet, today I ran it completly stock just to get a quick feel for it. I take it i need to adjust the drive dog for that prop to work. I did a test fitting while my batteries were charging and noted that it does not leave much for for the nut to be placed on. Do I need to adjust it to make it work? Tomorrow it should be painted, new prop and new trim tabs on it. I have that jacket on my wishlist already from OSE, I guess great minds think alike lol :beerchug:

Brushless55
10-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I used a pointe file on the water pickup in the rudder to ream it out some and my temps stay low..
last week I ran my 30C 5000 mah packs on a CF45 prop for about 5min and my temps were only 85* on both the motor and esc

SweetZ28
10-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Fast it is... I did not use the prop yet, today I ran it completly stock just to get a quick feel for it. I take it i need to adjust the drive dog for that prop to work. I did a test fitting while my batteries were charging and noted that it does not leave much for for the nut to be placed on. Do I need to adjust it to make it work? Tomorrow it should be painted, new prop and new trim tabs on it. I have that jacket on my wishlist already from OSE, I guess great minds think alike lol :beerchug:

Hi i think the prop should fit on there...try it if there is enough to thread it on as long as it threads on the thickness of the nut you should be ok.
Now when you ride your other boat it's going to feel like a slug and you won't want to run it anymore ...you will want to make it faster!! that's what happened to me!:rofl::rofl:

Brushless55
10-28-2009, 11:54 PM

what prop did you get?
I love the CF48 and CF45
but for more run time I use a CF42

Diesel6401
10-29-2009, 10:33 AM
what prop did you get?
I love the CF48 and CF45
but for more run time I use a CF42

i have the cf42, havent used it yet though. It seems like it wont fit with the stock setup, doesnt leave much room for the nut. how do i fix this?

Brushless55
10-29-2009, 12:33 PM
i have the cf42, havent used it yet though. It seems like it wont fit with the stock setup, doesnt leave much room for the nut. how do i fix this?

see if you can move the drive dog further up the shaft..

Diesel6401
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
see if you can move the drive dog further up the shaft..

That was what I am going to attempt to do today, just seems like it wont be able to move enough to maintain at decent amount of space between the drive dog and the tubing and also to get the nut to fit on well enough. I'll play with it today and see what I can do with it. What's the dia of the flex shaft on the RIO? I want to order a good replacement prop for it.

Brushless55
10-29-2009, 12:52 PM
That was what I am going to attempt to do today, just seems like it wont be able to move enough to maintain at decent amount of space between the drive dog and the tubing and also to get the nut to fit on well enough. I'll play with it today and see what I can do with it. What's the dia of the flex shaft on the RIO? I want to order a good replacement prop for it.

Now I remember how I got mine to fit good..
I used a dremel and ground a spot to move the dog further up the shaft to fit my CF props better :thumbup1:

Diesel6401
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey brushless do you like the King of Shaves boat? I was looking at the electric rtr version. Looks pretty sweet, also have you ever or has anyone on this thread owned or know anyone that has owned a proboat widowmaker or formula fastech do they like it?!?

SweetZ28
10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I did not have to do anything to mine.I used one of the bullit cone nuts Steve sells on his site for the SV27... Try to put the CF42 prop on and tighten the bolt down i think the props compress and slide on more as you tighten them down ...If your bolt ends up flush with the nut it will be ok.
Got a pic showing how it sits on ?

Brushless55
10-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey brushless do you like the King of Shaves boat? I was looking at the electric rtr version. Looks pretty sweet, also have you ever or has anyone on this thread owned or know anyone that has owned a proboat widowmaker or formula fastech do they like it?!?

I do like the Gas KOS, I had the electric that I had only one day and a friend of mine who had the Gas KOS wanted my electric and we did a straight across trade!
with all the issues I've read on the electric I could not pass it up,
and I did not pay full price on the electric either! :thumbup:
I can run for about 30+min on a tank..

I've read good things about the Formula Fastech (great motor and esc) and ok things with the widow maker..

Brushless55
10-29-2009, 01:11 PM
I did not have to do anything to mine.I used one of the bullit cone nuts Steve sells on his site for the SV27... Try to put the CF42 prop on and tighten the bolt down i think the props compress and slide on more as you tighten them down ...If your bolt ends up flush with the nut it will be ok.
Got a pic showing how it sits on ?

bad idea to try and compress the prop, it will damage the prop and crack it! :ohmy:

SweetZ28
10-29-2009, 01:44 PM
bad idea to try and compress the prop, it will damage the prop and crack it! :ohmy:

I did not mean compress it I meant that they sometimes push on a little more than when you just slide it on by hand and you can actually fit it on .

Diesel6401
10-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I do not have anypics of the prop trying to fit on, I will try and get some today. What where some of the issues with the electric KOS? I've read nothing but good things about the FASTech as well, I'm just not the biggest fan of Proboat and I've heard mixed reviews of the Widowmaker. One thing I noticed in all the vids of the FASTech is how stable it looks in the water at top speed, widowmaker seems to bounch around alot. I do like the single battery operation on the WM though.

Diesel6401
10-29-2009, 01:50 PM
I did not mean compress it I meant that they sometimes push on a little more than when you just slide it on by hand and you can actually fit it on .

I'll give it a try without over torque. The nut maybe able to sit flush and maybe a little locktight will help.

SweetZ28
10-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I'll give it a try without over torque. The nut maybe able to sit flush and maybe a little locktight will help.

Hi if it goes on as far as you say you are fine.

Diesel6401
10-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi if it goes on as far as you say you are fine.

I'll put it on and put some pics up so you can see it.

Brushless55
10-29-2009, 02:49 PM

If you can get the nut to sit flush it will work fine... :thumbup1:

Diesel6401
10-29-2009, 03:00 PM
If you can get the nut to sit flush it will work fine... :thumbup1:

Should I Still use locktight?

SweetZ28
10-29-2009, 03:09 PM

You can but bairly put some on don't use alot only a little is needed.

Brushless55
10-29-2009, 03:31 PM

I'm not sure if locktight works with this because it has a plastic insert..

I would'nt worry about it, I don't use any and I have not lost a prop! :thumbup1:

Diesel6401
10-29-2009, 05:25 PM
I did some runs yesterday and tried the stock prop on 2s then on 3s, then tried a y535 on 3s, then a CF48 on 2s then on 3s..
I meant to try my a s220 but totally forgot about that prop..
best speed was the CF48 on 3s and that only got me 19mph.. :crying:

I'm going to try a Team Orion Revolution 13x1 on 2s with the y535 and see how that works :thumbup1:

RIO has a 1/8 shaft dia?

Brushless55
10-29-2009, 06:42 PM
I think the prop does?

Diesel6401
10-29-2009, 06:52 PM
CF props only come in 4mm, that prob as close as im going to get.

Brushless55
10-29-2009, 06:54 PM

I have an adapter that I use

SweetZ28
10-29-2009, 07:18 PM

You can use a brass pipe 2 sizes and make a adaptor to fit the 3/16 CF props.

Brushless55
10-29-2009, 07:27 PM
You can use a brass pipe 2 sizes and make a adaptor to fit the 3/16 CF props.

Good Idea Z

SweetZ28
10-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Good Idea Z

Thanks but Steve has it shown ho to make one on his site here:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info-pages/fit-propellers.php

Diesel6401
10-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks but Steve has it shown ho to make one on his site here:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info-pages/fit-propellers.php

That's a great idea, I will def have to use that for my RIO. I'm still working on the paint job on the SV, so far looks pretty cool. I'll post some pics if soon.

Brushless55
10-30-2009, 01:56 PM
That's a great idea, I will def have to use that for my RIO. I'm still working on the paint job on the SV, so far looks pretty cool. I'll post some pics if soon.

What kind of paint job are you going with?

Diesel6401
10-30-2009, 03:48 PM
What kind of paint job are you going with?

Urban Camo paint job. Black Gray and white. Here's where I got the idea from:

Brushless55
10-30-2009, 03:54 PM
That will look sick! :bowdown:

Diesel6401
10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
That will look sick! :bowdown:

Looks good to me... Their are more pics in my profile under "Albums"...

SweetZ28
10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
It Looks cool but i think when you drive it going fast on the water your eyes are going to go crazy from that color scheem!:rofl:

Diesel6401
10-30-2009, 04:37 PM
It Looks cool but i think when you drive it going fast on the water your eyes are going to go crazy from that color scheem!:rofl:

HAHAHA, I didn't think about that one :tongue_smilie:

Brushless55
10-30-2009, 04:40 PM
That looks crazy, and I have no idea how you did that?

SweetZ28
10-30-2009, 04:44 PM
HAHAHA, I didn't think about that one :tongue_smilie:

:tongue_smilie: Never know you may mistake it as a goose or something when driving past some you may loose control when your boat blends in with the geese!

SweetZ28
10-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi brushless55 if you don't mind me asking where did you get the photo of the new camaro for your avatar? is there a bigger photo of the car or a link to photos of it?
THANKS

Diesel6401
10-30-2009, 04:46 PM
That looks crazy, and I have no idea how you did that?

It's not that hard, just time consuming and patienance took 2 days. Right now the layer of clear coat is drying. I also had one of my friends who is a GREAT artist help me out. I can tell you step by step if you would like to know for future.

Diesel6401
10-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Hey Brushless next to you Avatar where it says "FAST ELECTRIC ADDICT" where in the settings did you go to get that?!?

SweetZ28
10-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Hey Brushless next to you Avatar where it says "FAST ELECTRIC ADDICT" where in the settings did you go to get that?!?

Hi it auto updates that by how many posts you post it puts a new name there...you can see he posted alot this is why he's ranked that.

Diesel6401
10-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Got ya, thanks for the info...

Brushless55
10-30-2009, 07:50 PM

Sweet, I didn't even see that till now! :thumbup:

Brushless55
10-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi brushless55 if you don't mind me asking where did you get the photo of the new camaro for your avatar? is there a bigger photo of the car or a link to photos of it?
THANKS

I did a google search and saw this!
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/r5jr8wwq.jpg

SweetZ28
10-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I did a google search and saw this!
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/r5jr8wwq.jpg

NICE!! Even though they should have made the new Z28 after the second generation model in my opinion!

Diesel6401
11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Ran the SV today, new paint scheme looked great on the water and the CF42 prop got the boat on plane so much faster than the stock prop and with the port side turn fin and upgraded trim tabs it was very stable and a pleasure to drive... Lost a little speed with the prop and trim tabs negative, but handling was awesome

SweetZ28
11-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Ran the SV today, new paint scheme looked great on the water and the CF42 prop got the boat on plane so much faster than the stock prop and with the port side turn fin and upgraded trim tabs it was very stable and a pleasure to drive... Lost a little speed with the prop and trim tabs negative, but handling was awesome
Cool glad everything worked out for ya.

Diesel6401
11-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Almost broke 18mph in my RIO today, titan 12t on 8.4 4600mah nimh's, boat ran wonderfully. Thinking about going brushless on my RIO, which combo you guys think would run better in the RIO, a traxxas velineon esc & motor or a proboat widowmaker esc & motor. Just curious, any other suggestions are well welcomed.

RCprince
11-03-2009, 12:33 AM
I wonder how much a lipo conversion would increase speed, being that a 8.4 4600 weighs about 18+ ounces where as a comparable 2s may weigh from a third to half of that nimh.

SweetZ28
11-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Almost broke 18mph in my RIO today, titan 12t on 8.4 4600mah nimh's, boat ran wonderfully. Thinking about going brushless on my RIO, which combo you guys think would run better in the RIO, a traxxas velineon esc & motor or a proboat widowmaker esc & motor. Just curious, any other suggestions are well welcomed.
I don't know i have a proboat apache 24 with a 3300kv motor and i bairly got 18.7mph on 2S I am going 3s lipo battery with it now I am waiting for my batteries to come in.

I think the traxxas motor will be much faster than my 3300KV motor I hear the proboat system makes the widow maker hit 25MPH. If you get the traxxas one one way to cool the ESC would be run a aluminum pipe across the heat sink and glue it on with to little dabs of glue on each end this way you can get some cooling.... Or just get the traxxas 3500KV motor and buy a boat esc.

Diesel6401
11-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't know i have a proboat apache 24 with a 3300kv motor and i bairly got 18.7mph on 2S I am going 3s lipo battery with it now I am waiting for my batteries to come in.

I think the traxxas motor will be much faster than my 3300KV motor I hear the proboat system makes the widow maker hit 25MPH. If you get the traxxas one one way to cool the ESC would be run a aluminum pipe across the heat sink and glue it on with to little dabs of glue on each end this way you can get some cooling.... Or just get the traxxas 3500KV motor and buy a boat esc.

Anyone ever hear any info about the HPI Flux Brushless system. It's a 540 size motor with a 5700kv rating. Overkill for a RIO?!? My goal for this boat is 25+mph.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVUT9&P=ML

SweetZ28
11-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Anyone ever hear any info about the HPI Flux Brushless system. It's a 540 size motor with a 5700kv rating. Overkill for a RIO?!? My goal for this boat is 25+mph.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVUT9&P=ML

That's way to much of a motor... on my RPM checker the titain 12 on 7.2V was like 26,000RPM and a 3500KV's rpm @ 7.2V would be 25200RPM but with much more power it will be able to turn a larger prop so it should be faster.
here is how you find RPM X the KV 3500X voltage 7.2V= 25,200RPM

Diesel6401
11-03-2009, 11:17 AM
That's way to much of a motor... on my RPM checker the titain 12 on 7.2V was like 26,000RPM and a 3500KV's rpm @ 7.2V would be 25200RPM but with much more power it will be able to turn a larger prop so it should be faster.
here is how you find RPM X the KV 3500X voltage 7.2V= 25,200RPM

Right now I have the stock prop on. I would hate to order the Velinon system and it not perform the way I want.

SweetZ28
11-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Right now I have the stock prop on. I would hate to order the Velinon system and it not perform the way I want.

I know i here ya with boats it's a test by test and $ game.

SweetZ28
11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Did You seen vids of the widowmaker go? ...if it looks fast enough for you just go with that set up. but that's only 2900KV the VXL is 3500KV

Brushless55
11-03-2009, 01:46 PM

One thing to keep in mind is the VXL motor has way more power than the Titan motor.. The Titan has maybe 150watts?
and the VXL can pull 100amps!
on 2s the VXL has almost the same rpm as a SV on 4s
I've seen these motor run in boats on 3s and they are nuts! :laugh:
all comes down to the right prop..

Diesel6401
11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Did You seen vids of the widowmaker go? ...if it looks fast enough for you just go with that set up. but that's only 2900KV the VXL is 3500KV

Yea I seen some vids, I honestly thought about getting it for my next boat, but it looks kinda unstable in the water and bounces around a whole lot. I may just grab a traxxas system.

Rumdog
11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
If you're buying a package (esc and motor) you'd be much better suited buying one made for boats. You'll get a water-cooled esc. You could get yourself a feigao 540 s motor and run a sv27 esc for fairly cheap. It would be overkill, but you could run the whole sv27 package in this hull. Keep in mind, lower kv, higher voltage will be much more reliable than high kv and lower voltage. If any of you guys need a smallish 3s lipo, I have one listed in the swap shop for $20.00 bucks.

Diesel6401
11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
If you're buying a package (esc and motor) you'd be much better suited buying one made for boats. You'll get a water-cooled esc. You could get yourself a feigao 540 s motor and run a sv27 esc for fairly cheap. It would be overkill, but you could run the whole sv27 package in this hull. Keep in mind, lower kv, higher voltage will be much more reliable than high kv and lower voltage. If any of you guys need a smallish 3s lipo, I have one listed in the swap shop for $20.00 bucks.

I kinda wanted to get it to one battery in the hull, that's why I liked the WM setup. Any suggestions to which exact motor would be best ?!?!?! I'm also running NIMH and don't wanna go lipo

SweetZ28
11-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I kinda wanted to get it to one battery in the hull, that's why I liked the WM setup. Any suggestions to which exact motor would be best ?!?!?! I'm also running NIMH and don't wanna go lipo

I tried 3300KV to slow I say the vxl 3500KV will be a good motor.

Rumdog
11-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Just curious, why no lipo?

Rumdog
11-03-2009, 05:10 PM
The Feigao 8 or 9s would work well with 7.2 volt nimh. kv x volts equals rpm. Shoot for 30-35k rpms.

SweetZ28
11-03-2009, 06:11 PM
The Feigao 8 or 9s would work well with 7.2 volt nimh. kv x volts equals rpm. Shoot for 30-35k rpms.

The S cans are short won't they not have a lot of tork like the traxxas long can VXL?

Rumdog
11-03-2009, 06:30 PM
For the Rio ep, you would only need a S size can. The larger motors will have too much physical mass for that hull and may hinder the handling. You could use an L size can, but it's unnecessary.

Diesel6401
11-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Just curious, why no lipo?

I already have money in nimh batteries and the charger I have is a great charger, but it's not for lipo's. The big reason is I just run boats by myself for fun and I don't need to worry about LVC and charging/storing my batteries a major deal. NIMH are just way easier and suit my application way better. Who knows I may switch sometime down the road, but for now I'm happy.

Diesel6401
11-03-2009, 07:34 PM
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10331
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=fei-540S
8s
You guys think this is ok?

Rumdog
11-03-2009, 07:42 PM
On ebay type in seaking esc. The 60 amp is VERY affordable and waterproof/watercooled.

Brushless55
11-03-2009, 08:19 PM
For the Rio ep, you would only need a S size can. The larger motors will have too much physical mass for that hull and may hinder the handling. You could use an L size can, but it's unnecessary.

The stock motor in these little hulls is a 550, so it would be the same as the L cans..

Rumdog
11-03-2009, 08:49 PM
AHHH sweet! that does leave more options.

Diesel6401
11-04-2009, 06:33 PM
On ebay type in seaking esc. The 60 amp is VERY affordable and waterproof/watercooled.

This is what i'm thinking for my RIO:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBBYWING-Seaking-60A-120A-Brushless-ESC-RC-Boat-U_W0QQitemZ180428254772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Co ntrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a025cae34

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=fei-540L
6L (4116kv)

On my batteries that i run i should reach between:
29,635rpm on my 7.2v nimh and about 34,574rpm with my 8.4v nimh. Sound ok?

SweetZ28
11-04-2009, 06:55 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBBYWING-Seaking-60A-120A-Brushless-ESC-RC-Boat-U_W0QQitemZ180428254772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Co ntrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a025cae34

6L (4116kv)

I don't know i think that's way to muchKV i would stay 35 to 37KV.

Diesel6401
11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't know i think that's way to muchKV i would stay 35 to 37KV.

What could happen if I have to much rpm?

SweetZ28
11-04-2009, 07:05 PM
What could happen if I have to much rpm?

I tried my novak 4300 and it stunk it reved way to much you would have to use a really small prop I think i tried a 38 or 35mm prop and it was slow because it reved so much you would need even way smaller of a prop...and also on NIMH packs the more KV the more strain and heat on all parts and battery packs.

Diesel6401
11-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I tried my novak 4300 and it stunk it reved way to much you would have to use a really small prop I think i tried a 38 or 35mm prop and it was slow because it reved so much you would need even way smaller of a prop...and also on NIMH packs the more KV the more strain and heat on all parts and battery packs.

Ok, very good information. I did not know that. It seems like I keep going away from the Velineon system and looking at other things but at the end of the day it's prob the best fit for me. Just gotta face the fact

Brushless55
11-04-2009, 07:20 PM

6L (4116kv)

Wow the shipping is 30 bucks on the esc!
and the motor you want pulls over 100amps, that will cook the esc
better to go low kv high volts, uses less amps

If you have the XVL already, I would use that and see how you like it before buying another esc and motor :thumbup1:
the VXL motor makes awesome power!

Diesel6401
11-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Hey sweetz, did you say the titan 12t gets like 26000 rpm? When you tested that was that with lipo's or nimh?

Diesel6401
11-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow the shipping is 30 bucks on the esc!
and the motor you want pulls over 100amps, that will cook the esc
better to go low kv high volts, uses less amps

If you have the XVL already, I would use that and see how you like it before buying another esc and motor :thumbup1:
the VXL motor makes awesome power!

No I don't have a VXL I have an XL5 in my boat now. I was just debating on getting the whole VXL esc/motor combo. Trying to get my boat in the 25+mph range.

SweetZ28
11-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Hey sweetz, did you say the titan 12t gets like 26000 rpm? When you tested that was that with lipo's or nimh?

Hi it was 26,000RPM witha 7.2V NIMH and my 3300KV showed 22,700RPM
I think a 3500KV should move your boat at about 25MPH

Diesel6401
11-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi it was 26,000RPM witha 7.2V NIMH and my 3300KV showed 22,700RPM
I think a 3500KV should move your boat at about 25MPH

I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get the VXL system combo. Now all I gotta do is buy it without the wife finding out lol. This should be interesting :popcorn2:

Brushless55
11-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Keep in mind its more than rpm..
these brushless motors put out way more power and torque than the brushed motors you are replacing

just because the rpms are lower does not mean they will be slower, you can prop them up and get alot more speed if that's what you are after.
25mph+ should be very easy in this hull with a different motor and esc change

Brushless55
11-05-2009, 12:44 AM
I've been working on two other boats right now, but I still want to try one of my Team Orion Revolution 13x1 motors on 2s in this hull.. :thumbup1:
it could be to much rpm though, of about 37-39,000rpm, and around 230+ watts

Diesel6401
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I've been working on two other boats right now, but I still want to try one of my Team Orion Revolution 13x1 motors on 2s in this hull.. :thumbup1:
it could be to much rpm though, of about 37-39,000rpm, and around 230+ watts

Let me know how that goes. Curious to see the results. I just ordered an upgraded water jacket and an additional water pickup for my supervee. Pretty soon I'll put the ammo recommended upgrade motor into the supervee. Don't have the extra $$ to do it know since a new video game is coming out on tuesday need the cash for it. (Call Of Duty :thumbup:)

Brushless55
11-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Let me know how that goes. Curious to see the results. I just ordered an upgraded water jacket and an additional water pickup for my supervee. Pretty soon I'll put the ammo recommended upgrade motor into the supervee. Don't have the extra $$ to do it know since a new video game is coming out on tuesday need the cash for it. (Call Of Duty :thumbup:)

will do :thumbup1:

one thing to try is use a small pointed file and ream out just a little on the water pickup in the stock rudder, that will give really good results with cooling..
My temps never get abouve 120* no mater what prop I use and two weeks ago with a CF45 my temps were only 90* on the motor and only 87* on the esc using the stock rudder pickup and stock water jaket..

Rumdog
11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
FYI, there is an xpower 100amp esc watercooled in the swap shop right now for 50 bucks. would be perfect for this boat!!

Diesel6401
11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
will do :thumbup1:

one thing to try is use a small pointed file and ream out just a little on the water pickup in the stock rudder, that will give really good results with cooling..
My temps never get abouve 120* no mater what prop I use and two weeks ago with a CF45 my temps were only 90* on the motor and only 87* on the esc using the stock rudder pickup and stock water jaket..

I will do the file trick. I'm also going to add the extra water pickup as well though. Y not since I already bought it, cant hurt. :biggrin:

Diesel6401
11-05-2009, 06:49 PM
FYI, there is an xpower 100amp esc watercooled in the swap shop right now for 50 bucks. would be perfect for this boat!!

I'm going to go through with the VXL system in this boat. I really wanna c what it will do for this boat, curiosity may get the best of me on this one :tongue_smilie: