PDA

View Full Version : brand new turnigy lipo failure!

pmdevlin
10-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi anybody else come across this, or am I just unlucky! I was wondering if there is a bad batch of lipos out there? 3 cell, 5000mah, 4 mins use, balanced fine on first charge, from hobbyking, one cell went down causing open circuit, if you have heard of any other probs please let me know, now doing battle with hobbyking, it cost almost half the price of the pack to send it back !!
thanks

domwilson
10-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Someone had the same problem here... http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=10533

DISAR
10-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I had the same problem in two Zippys 3s 4000 & 5000 on the first runs, here
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?p=105421#post105421
plus other problems ofcourse

Steven Vaccaro
10-02-2009, 12:16 PM
I've said it before and will say it again. You are literally taking your life in your hands when keeping a pack in your home. That being said, if I have a problem with one of my packs causing a loss of some sorts, I want a company thats in the USA to back up the claim with their product liability insurance.

Doby
10-02-2009, 12:44 PM
"Product Warranty
Product warranty is limited to original defects in material and workmanship for 90 days from the day of purchase . Warranty does
not cover collateral damage, misuse, abuse, incorrect charging and other in appropriate use of this product ."

Not trying to start anything here, but I found this on a well know USA LiPo manufactures page.

What I read into this is that if your house burns down,,,too bad.:ThumbsDown01:

I highly doubt any company , US or foriegn is going to be held "liable" in any way, be it for burned houses/ boats cars etc.

Steven Vaccaro
10-02-2009, 12:53 PM
"Product Warranty
Product warranty is limited to original defects in material and workmanship for 90 days from the day of purchase . Warranty does
not cover collateral damage, misuse, abuse, incorrect charging and other in appropriate use of this product ."

Not trying to start anything here, but I found this on a well know USA LiPo manufactures page.

What I read into this is that if your house burns down,,,too bad.:ThumbsDown01:

I highly doubt any company , US or foriegn is going to be held "liable" in any way, be it for burned houses/ boats cars etc.

They can say anything they want to. But see what happens when it goes to court or a claim is placed.

You will notice disclaimers on many things. One of which is tickets to sporting events. But see what happens when you get hit in the face with a baseball at a MLB game. You get the royal treatment. They want to satisfy you as much as possible so you don't pursue a case against them.

domwilson
10-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I've said it before and will say it again. You are literally taking your life in your hands when keeping a pack in your home. That being said, if I have a problem with one of my packs causing a loss of some sorts, I want a company thats in the USA to back up the claim with their product liability insurance.

What is the best way to store lipos? I store mine in a military ammo box.

tharmer
10-02-2009, 12:59 PM
I store mine in a safe on Funk and Wagnall's porch.
-t

domwilson
10-02-2009, 01:02 PM
They can say anything they want to. But see what happens when it goes to court or a claim is placed.

You will notice disclaimers on many things. One of which is tickets to sporting events. But see what happens when you get hit in the face with a baseball at a MLB game. You get the royal treatment. They want to satisfy you as much as possible so you don't pursue a case against them.

Sometimes disclaimers are made to minimize frivolous claims.

Flying Scotsman
10-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Sometimes disclaimers are made to minimize frivolous claims.

Do not get me started on this subject. A large company I worked for got sued for a claim from a worker breaking his arm within the confines of the machinery that was impossible unless someone had disabled the safety switches, Guess what they settled out of court, rather then pay the lawyers!

Douggie

Rumdog
10-02-2009, 01:35 PM
How abouyt this: What was the setup you were running ie, hull, motor esc, total voltage and prop? I like to know theses facts before blaming the pack. Also, what charger?

tiqueman
10-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Dont laugh.. but my grill. Its made for fires!!!! Also a military ammo box.
And want to get some lipo bags.

This is worrying me about the Turnigy 3S 5000's. I have one w/ 3 cycles on it so far w/ no problems. I hope it stays that way. It did however seem to get a bit out of balance after charging after run #1. After charge #2 it was right on.

sailr
10-02-2009, 03:34 PM
:zip-up:

BakedMopar
10-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I have Turnigy's 3s and 2s configurations. First off they are cheap and powerfull. Out of a dozen one of my 3s packs has a bad cell ( not dead but slow ) it's always out of balance. I use a Hyperion 1210i with and LBA10a balancer to charge all of my Lipos. Considering the price it's a gamble you take. IMHO the quality is not top notch, but the prices are. My 2 pennies worth.

Ub Hauled
10-02-2009, 11:43 PM

I like a Mystery Novel like the next guy, but I have to say I have never had a problem with a pack that I did not inflict on it myself... what I am trying to say is, lipos will not self combust out of the blue.
Here are a couple of things I find helpful to keep trusting my packs:

-Never keep puffed cells in the house or near combustible things.
-If you have a big accident and the packs suffer some sort of damage (dents, bends, nicks, etc.) Keep that cell under observation for a while since it may take time for the problem to show up... again, out of the reach combustible materials. Also check packs for exposed tabs, balancing wires, they short things out as well and are kinda wimpy.
-Never pre heat or overheat the cells to the point where shrink wraps are melted, sometimes they don't puff but still unstable cells, they still may ignite... store away from combustible material or dispose properly.
-Never over charge, use wrong voltage (specially higher V's) or wrong capacity settings.
-Don't ever use water to extinguish their fire, use sand...

Dom, a Military box I don't think will help a lot, first of all, they are metal boxes and still conduct electricity, it may help by shorting the 2 main wires... also, have you seen the fury which these guys burn? That box will melt like chocolate once the fireworks start. Keep it in an area where there is nothing around them to add combustible material to the fire in case your bad pack in quarantine decides it wants to go.

I'll post more if it comes to mind

Fluid
10-03-2009, 08:44 AM
A fellow Texas racer uses surplus ammo boxes to store his LiPos. Two years ago he had a pack blow while in a closed box - this was a .50 caliber box, pretty heavy. He had a 1/2" hole in the side for charge wires. When the 6S pack went off the box shot across the pit area several feet like a rocket. The steel box contained the 'explosion' and the resulting fire just fine, no melting, no external fires.

sailr
10-03-2009, 09:56 AM
:tiphat:NEW EVENT! Lipo Rockets!:banana:

A fellow Texas racer uses surplus ammo boxes to store his LiPos. Two years ago he had a pack blow while in a closed box - this was a .50 caliber box, pretty heavy. He had a 1/2" hole in the side for charge wires. When the 6S pack went off the box shot across the pit area several feet like a rocket. The steel box contained the 'explosion' and the resulting fire just fine, no melting, no external fires.