PDA

View Full Version : Battery wire question

Gary
09-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Ok this might be a dumb question but here goes. If you look at a Hydra 240 you have 2 wires for each circut. Wouldnt it make sense to have dual wires on the battery wires too? Two Negitive and Two Positive wires on each battery.This of course is only if you would be pulling mega amps for like SAW runs. I know that when i made wires shorter there was much less heat than when they were longer. Same theory??

Ub Hauled
09-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Gary, to make the ESC work properly w/o having issues drawing power, you need to connect the 2 positive wires of the ESC on ONE plug and the 2 negatives onto ONE plug and then go to the batteries. The reason for that is, you don't want to connect one phase to one wire and another phase on another wire because it will not have an equal voltage/amperage on each one of the phases... if you have an uneven draw on each phase, bad things can happen.

Gary
09-28-2009, 10:56 PM
No wait i think i explained it wrong. The Hydra has 2 wires for the battery feed to the Hydra. You only have 1 battery lead from the battery . Why not have 2 battery leads coming off the battery to handle more draw. Right now you would have 1 battery lead going into 2 hydra leads that are solderd togather. Does that help. Told you it was a dumb question!!! LOL I cant even explain it.LOL

Gary
09-28-2009, 10:59 PM
How bout this . 2 positive leads coming off the esc going into 2 positive leads coming of the battery{ you would have to add one}. Then 2 negitive leads off the esc going into 2 battery negitive leads,

Ken Haines
09-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Gary,
The Castle Hydra series speed controllers all have 2 red (+) and 2 Black (-)
battery leads to better accomodate 2P set-ups. This means putting two
equal cell count packs in parrallel. If you are running a simple 1P set-up,
just use 1 pair of the leads, believe me it will be just fine. These wires are 10 gauge which have plenty of ampere rating for our FE set-ups. If you have not tried 2P on larger boat/motor set-ups you may want to try it. It typically gives you more power and if nothing else you will have double the MAh which gives you twice the run time. Hope this helps. :thumbup:
Ken

Ub Hauled
09-29-2009, 12:27 AM
How bout this . 2 positive leads coming off the esc going into 2 positive leads coming of the battery{ you would have to add one}. Then 2 negitive leads off the esc going into 2 battery negitive leads,

that would work as well.