PDA

View Full Version : Stuffing Tube Sling Guard

FloatDaBoat
09-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Here’s a photo of a Guard that clips to the stuffing tube to keep lubricant/water from being slung all over the inside of the hull. If anyone’s interested, I’ll provide simple instructions on how to construct one.

BFFI
Pronounced “Biffy”
Brute Force/Functional [Explicative may be substituted here] Ignorance: Only makes an already Bad Situation WORSE !!!

domwilson
09-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Good Idea. How did you make it?

FloatDaBoat
09-27-2009, 12:12 PM
OK, here’s the Fabrication Procedure:

1. Cut a flat piece of material (~ 1.5” X 3”) from the clear plastic that most products are packaged in these days . If it’s been vacuum heat formed, this process will work, regardless of the specific plastic type. Wrap the sheet around a rod of about 7/16” in diameter (I used the handle of an Exacto knife; a drill bit will also suffice). Place the doubled sheet ends between two flat pieces of metal (I used 1/16” thick brass). Clamp everything together using wooden clothes pins, and heat with a heat gun. See photo 1.
2. The plastic will come out looking something like photo 2. The amount of heat that’s needed will vary, depending on the type of plastic & it’s thickness (try not to melt it & be cautious not to burn yourself).
3. Use a piece of metal clamped in vice grips to form a flat area inside the round tube formed in step 2. This flat surface is needed to attach the Mini Clip which clamps onto the stuffing tube. I rounded the edges of a 3/8” wide piece of 1/16” brass to prevent scoring the plastic - Photo 3. Heat it with the heat gun & press the two together on a flat surface, holding them together until they cool somewhat (so the shape will hold).
4. Photo 4 - Mini Clips (available from Radio Shack). Use cyanoacrylate “Super” glue to affix the clip inside the plastic tube (the adhesive backing supplied on these clips isn’t resist to lubricants). The ears inside the Mini Clip may be shortened (Red Arrow). This allows a snug fit for different sized stuffing tubes, without being too tight (it also prevents breakage).
5. Trim/sand the assembly as needed to fit the application. A small piece of tape will help hold it in place. I also place a ‘Diaper’ (fashioned from multiple layers of paper towel) underneath to absorb any liquid collected.

The Only Stupid Questions ??? - - Those that are NEVER ASKED !!!

domwilson
09-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Thank you for posting this. I'm sure it will help alot of people here.

FloatDaBoat
09-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Dom. I'm always willing to share . . . .

Steven Vaccaro
09-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Cool idea. I moved it to the "tips" area so it doesnt get lost in the regular forum threads so quickly

sailr
09-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Great idea! Best "Build" I've seen in a long time ;-)

Eodman
09-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Outstanding Idea - my son always overloads the stuffing tube with grease --- OK I do too!

Diegoboy
10-01-2009, 08:12 AM
It is a great idea that has been done in our scale boat club for years. I applied it to my Stretch Renegade in August

I took a lesson learned from my Scale boat buddies and applied a "Splash guard" to this boat!!
Now I can expect to open her up every time and not have grease slung all over the inside. :biggrin:

http://www.diegoboy.com/misc/100_3586-sm.jpg (http://www.diegoboy.com/misc/100_3586.jpg)

impba3548
07-26-2010, 10:02 AM
This is what I use on my gassers, they make a real mess in the engine bay, this is two pieces of pvc thinwall that snaps onto a piece of delrin machined to fit the stuffing tube with a grease zerk (I hate greasing shafts too).30106

Its the same principle as posted above and sure keeps the mess down.

Darin Jordan
07-26-2010, 10:26 AM
This is what I use on my gassers, they make a real mess in the engine bay, this is two pieces of pvc thinwall that snaps onto a piece of delrin machined to fit the stuffing tube with a grease zerk (I hater greasing shafts too).30106

Its the same principle as posted above and sure keeps the mess down.

Great ideas guys...

IMPBA3548... Would you mind posting some pics of that oiler/lub system you have on that gasser? I'm working on one at the moment, and would love to see what others have done.

impba3548
07-27-2010, 01:33 AM
I will have to take some better pics Darin, it is just a piece of delrin or similar material with a hole drilled in the center of it to fit the stuffing tube press fit.
The two pieces of pvc have a slot in the side so that one can be snapped over the other, the oring is just a safety, it works on the rigger but not on the cat, I think a small metal or plastic ring would be better.

I give it two pumps of grease before every run with a small grease gun after starting the engine.

I will take more pics later and post them for you.

impba3548
07-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Great ideas guys...

IMPBA3548... Would you mind posting some pics of that oiler/lub system you have on that gasser? I'm working on one at the moment, and would love to see what others have done.

Darin,
Here is a link to the boat build, it has some pics that might be helpful to you.

http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=30555&highlight=my+new+rigger

mike sr