PDA

View Full Version : scratch built 1/12th scale hydro

Jesse J
09-23-2009, 10:34 PM
This is the Oberto scratch built baby, 5th place winner of the 2008 RRR hydro build off competition and of course my avatar. She was built from the Dave Frank plans based on a 1990s Oberto, but since I like the modern ones, I modified the hull a bit (rounded off the spears and added rear no steps). The paint scheme is from the 2004 version - I have hopes of redesigning the hull to be more to scale... but time will tell that story.

This is my fastest hydro and I would like some feed back on performance... I know the video doesn't allow scrutiny like the ones Camel shot of my yellow hydro, but you can hear how loose she is and how hard she hooks the turns.

I am tempted to maybe up the prop a tad (temps are under 100 after this run), but tightening her up only kills her on the straights.

Lemme know whatchu think......................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87EIdVYk6SU

Jesse J
07-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Here she is again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTzbza6oFJA). Rod the hydromaniac suggested to curl the prop a tad to get the rear end from hoppin around. I think she is a lot more stable this way too. Here she is on 5S and an 12XL spinnin an X442 - temps are still all around 110. Using a HiModel 125A ESC I water cooled and proofed.

Comments on how she rides? I know the turns are kinda tight - have to share waterspace with the fishermen. I think this run also helped the guy catch that fish.

The rear no steps I added started to fall off on this run, and have since been fully removed.

venom*one
07-20-2010, 06:58 PM
That thing rocks... looks like its on rails... very nice...

Jesse J
07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks, I had to redo the turnfin as last runs it came loose. Tore into it with the dremel, added blind nuts and fiberglassed the puppy. Now turn fin is rock solid. Its amazing the beating these guys take and the G forces the poor drivers have to withstand.

v-spec
07-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Can you post some pics of it all? Video is nice but I'd like to see it up close if you don't mind?

Jesse J
07-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Yep, can do. stay tuned.

befu
07-20-2010, 08:08 PM
I always have to watch your videos twice, once for the landscape and once for the actual boat. So did the snow finish melting last week?

Looks like a very nice boat! Runs well, but I do not know enough about hydros. Seems like the prop is "bouncing" some as it loads and unloads. Is that common on larger boats? Mine are all smaller.

Water looks pretty calm.

Good job man.

Oh, who is the hippy driving! :hug1: :sorry:

Another fantastic build man, good job!

Brian

Jesse J
07-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the kind words... and that hippie is the wolfman's brother! Yes beautiful place to run.

here are the pics

Jesse J
07-20-2010, 08:56 PM
and some more. She's a workhorse. gonna get her all gussied up once I get her running the best I can. you see my turnfin reinforcement and also where I had to do some brain surgery. Actually its where I had hollowed out the hatch... I post some pics of it as it has its own story.

this is all scratch made.

v-spec
07-20-2010, 09:20 PM
I like it! Just a little TLC and it will look great! I'm going to do a scratch build too just trying to figure out what right now. Finishing up a few others then it's time to get busy!

Jesse J
07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
I know of several plans out there from 1/16th to 1/10th scale. lemme know if you needs some links.

v-spec
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
I know of several plans out there from 1/16th to 1/10th scale. lemme know if you needs some links.

Can you shoot some my way? I'll send you my email address. Appreciate it!

Jesse J
07-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Here (http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/hydrobuildoff_2008.htm)is the place I got mine. NJoy!