PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

AtlRookie
09-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I searched the forum ( and I am sure I missed it ) so please forgive me in advance if this has been previously covered. I just purchased a Miss Elam Brushless and being a total newbie was curious as to what type of lipo fits in the boat well and is a good all round battery? I will not be racing the boat, just running it for fun. I dont want something that I have to stop every minute to check temps etc, I just want something that will make the boat a little faster but still very usable. Should I stick with nimh batteries? Or should I go with Lipo? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I guess I basically want to know if its worth it to upgrade to lipos and maybe a prop or should I just leave the boat alone!

Jesse J
10-11-2009, 12:37 PM
You will definitely notice performance increase with lipos. I use Rhino packs from Hobbyking. I would recommend getting two 2S and two 3S. I have converted a nitro version and still use the proboat motor. You can safely use 4S (2S in series) and I use an X642 prop. I did kinda redo the boat, here is a joint build thread with bustit. I documented my mods:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=7672&highlight=elam

The last time I took her out I put 6S in (two 3S in series) and she did 58mph. Still Proboat motor and X642 prop, but with a little bigger ESC, a turnigy 100amp HV (you can get one for around $100). I have heard that the Proboat esc can handle 5S and 6S and with this knowledge I have since burned up 3 of these ESCs (I did not disable the internal BEC). If you decide to try that, reduce your motor timing to low.

As far as your batteries, definitely get a pair of 2S and if you can also a pair of 3S, that way you can try 4S 5S and 6S combinations.

Personally, I would suggest revamping the drive line and adding an adjustable strut, it doesn't have to be bearingized, but it isn't much more:
http://www.rcraceboat.com/

and yes get an Octura X645 and have it sharpened and balanced, there are several out there who do this service. Chuck Genge will even get the prop and sell it to you s/b and ship it to you, he does great work and is very professional
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=7367

Are you happy with the performance?

AtlRookie
10-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Jessie J,

I really appreciate the info! I ordered the programming card as well as the batteries you recommended. I like the boats performance stock but like everyone else I enjoy trying to get more out of it! I plan to order a new prop soon. Once again I appreciate the info and I will probably be bugging you with questions again before long! I need to be able to take out UL-1s!!

Jesse J
10-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I hope you are either a good model builder and/or a bold driver of the dremel. I would like to see pics of the insides of yours, I have only modified the nitro setups, seems people with the electric setups don't want to sell.

Feel free to bug away, even start a build thread if you want to roll up your sleeves and tear up some UL1s
J