PDA

View Full Version : Duel UL-1 Motors in a TRAXXAS Villain EX???

Oddball185
09-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I was sitting here looking at my son's TRAXXAS Villain EX that he does not play with any more and it hit me! How cool would it be to drop two UL-motors in it!?

I'm sure the stock esc would not handel it and its also not lipo ready. Could you run the UL-1 esc and splice the wires to got to both motors? Or would you have to run duel esc's and how would you make that work??

Guys you thoughts comments please...... Is this crazy idea and wast of time? Money??

If it could be done right that thing would FLY!:buttrock:

Doby
09-19-2009, 01:49 PM
A bit of a waste of time,,,the standard controller can not be used with brushless motors. You can not run 2 brushless motors on one speed controller,,you need 2. The gears on the Villan will probably strip under the stress of the new motors.

Qty 2 UL-1 systems= $320.00
New shafts and hardware, probably around another $100.00

Starting to get expensive.

Brushless55
09-19-2009, 04:00 PM
That would be crazy nutso power!
you can run two brushless systems with a Y adaper, and the cost would be above 300bucks..
and with all this power you would possibly tear up your drive system..

Oddball185
09-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Yea but it sure would be fun untill she tore her self apart!:rockon2: :buttrock:

detox
09-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I once read a magazine artical where Traxxas installed two of their Velineon motor (3500 kv)and ESC combos into this hull. Traxxas used the original gear reduction system. This would require two 3s lipo battery packs...one for each esc/motor.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXWM5&P=ML

Unsullied_Spy
09-27-2009, 07:05 PM
I've got a dual brushless Villain, it does work. You need 2 BL motors (I started off with some cheap Turnigy motors from HobbyCity and now running Velineons), 2 BL ESCs, and 2 batteries. I replaced the nylon bottom gear with a hardened steel gear and used a bore reducer from RC-Monster to drop it from 5mm bore to the 4mm OD of the drive shaft. Pick up some Graupner U-Joints, 3/16" shafts, and 51mm CF props from OSE and you're pretty much done.

Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J1hP_SXJ_I
That's with stock gearing (13T pinions on 28T bottom gears) and 2s lipos, I'm going up to 18T pinions and 3s lipo as soon as I replace my bad ESC.