PDA

View Full Version : H&M Shovel full speed into shore

properchopper
09-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Not sure why I lost everything, but amazingly only some gelcoat cracks where the batteries slid under the deck & all the internals rearranged themselves. Cooling jacket slid off the motor ! Already fixed except the touch-up paint. Just another day at the lake ! :doh:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TzcSxfHyFfo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6caASJjS_oQ

teach
09-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Don't know whether to say sorry or awsome!

Glad everyhing is in one piece.

tiqueman
09-18-2009, 01:42 AM
It is a shovel nose..... I think it worked perfect! :thumbup1::sarcasm1:

good to hear there was nothing major

properchopper
09-18-2009, 02:01 AM
It is a shovel nose..... I think it worked perfect! :thumbup1::sarcasm1:

good to hear there was nothing major

So that's where the name came from ! :doh:

tiqueman
09-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Sometimes its too easy to overlook the obvious... We at OSE should get you a plant or something :biggrin:

Seriously though... I hate that feeling when your boat decides it can think for itself. Especially when its 40+ at dry land. Then again, I had a 56" Apache Aeromarine gasser run on me years ago, in a large bay, and went away from shore. Luckily I there was someone on a jet ski near by and they gave me a ride out to go get it. Still to this day do not know what happen.

mikesf
09-18-2009, 02:53 AM
WTF, :doh:

that was close Tony, and from what it seemed the damp dirt and the sharpness of the bow saved you from a lot of $$$...

I doubt that it was a matter of range, have you invested in extra receivers on the Tactic?

Doug Smock
09-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Wow Tony you must be living right!:cool:

I hope you find the cause.
Doug:tiphat:

Camman
09-18-2009, 01:30 PM
wow

That was one heck of a thud!

Glad it was min. damage

Glad you got it on vid:banana:

6S HYDRO
09-18-2009, 01:46 PM
those tactics sometimes when wet go full throttle, happened on my ul-1 once luckily i was already at the shore line

Ub Hauled
09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
I was there (behind the camera), the biggest damage was from where the lipo packs hit when they slid all the way from their location and came to a stop pressed between the deck and the bottom of the hull. Had he been much faster the cells could have squished, shorted and bursted into flames... we would have had a firework show.

Flying Scotsman
09-18-2009, 03:50 PM
There was the problem, Nigel *!***!***!***!**ingham from Birmingham as the star driver. You should have handed it over to the stellar camera operator.

Have you resolved the issue? Was that a Tactic radio?

Have to love those type of hulls, I am buying a Dark Horse 26 from Brian Bass

Douggie

Ub Hauled
09-18-2009, 06:18 PM
That H&M is a fine hull... it took the hit like a champion...
here are my thoughts about the Tactic radio, I believe it is
a reliable radio UNTIL the Tx batteries wear out... the problem is,
you will not know they were out until something like this happens.
I wish they had a Voltmeter built in or something to warn you that the cells
are at a not so safe level.
My Verdict, Tx batts were low and it freaked out.

Moral f the story, make sure to use fresh cells when you go out.

6S HYDRO
09-18-2009, 07:01 PM
it will blink when the cells are low, also the cells got to low on mine today- it just stops and you can turn on and off the tx and get small blips of throttle and steering to get back to the shore. but if there is moisture in it it can freak out

Doug Smock
09-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Out of curiosity what esc are you running?

properchopper
09-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Out of curiosity what esc are you running?

I'm using a Hydra 240. It's weird, like that corner of the lake has some Bermuda Triangle thing going on. I've lost my DF there when it had a broken antenna wire inside the tube that I hadn't noticed on my 3PM 2.4 & at that same range and spot it got away from me. The weeds & mud saved me there as well.
In the H&M with Tactic I've had one Rx catch fire in that corner, a second one sizzle - using a CC BEC at 5.2V - the output of the UL-1 SC that it originally was sold with. This time I was using the 240's internal bec. I'm stumped here- when the boat got away from me yesterday it ran away at full tilt with no steering. After clean-up & reassembly it's behaving normally on the bench ! The Rx is double bagged to insure dryness.
I stopped using my Airtronics 2.4 because it glitches in that corner and witnessed a gasser throw the same model Tx to the concrete for glitching in that spot during a race. I'm beginning to beleive that some weird orbiting space junk landed in the lake at that spot, sank, and snares us boaters !
After yesterday's crash I put some fresh batts in the Tx and ran three more boats with no probs but DID NOT go near that spot. In a week there's a NAMBA 2-Lap that I want to run to better my record with the H&M. May hire several fully outfitted NHL goalies to populate the far bank !

Doug Smock
09-19-2009, 05:47 AM
I had a similar situation (boat out of control) with a Hydra HV240 because of low RX pack. I tested again at home and found out that if the TX or RX bats are low the hydra stays at that power (whatever maybe, worst scenario is full throttle) for about 10 secs, then it stops.

Yep.
I was investigating a runaway I had early this year, (never found the cause) and discovered that the Hydra series controls will hold their last command for approx. six seconds in the event of a RX failure.
Six seconds is a LONG time at WOT.

The SV and UL-1 controls I tested hold their last command for approx. 3 sec.

Doug

properchopper
09-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Yep.
I was investigating a runaway I had early this year, (never found the cause) and discovered that the Hydra series controls will hold their last command for approx. six seconds in the event of a RX failure.
Six seconds is a LONG time at WOT.
Doug

That seemed to be my experience; no steering indicated a broken link between the Tx & Rx & the motor did stop after the boat came to rest.

DISAR
09-19-2009, 06:49 AM
I had a similar situation (boat out of control) with a Hydra HV240 because of low RX pack. I tested again at home and found out that if the TX or RX bats are low the hydra stays at that power (whatever maybe, worst scenario is full throttle) for about 10 secs, then it stops.

sailr
09-19-2009, 08:06 AM
I have three tactic transmitters. One day, while using the same transmitter on two different boats, with the boat sitting still in the water, they just took off, both hitting the shore and causing some damage. BRAND NEW batteries in the Tx.

I am now using just one transmitter for all my boats (about ten at the moment) with no problems. Now the question is, which of the other two transmitters is the bad one! haha. guess I need to put a receiver in one of my sailboats and then try the other two transmitters to ferret out the bad one. At least if it hits the shore it won't be with much of a THUD!

Good luck tracking down your problem. Let us know!