PDA

View Full Version : major hull repair

ozboater
08-04-2007, 11:50 PM
so my sv is now pretty banged up.. hit a buoy wide open last night - not a direct nose hit, but smashed the starboard side pretty good... another crack, this time a major one... so tonight i started to strip the thing... i ve read here about zpoxy for the insides.. is this a product name ?? i searched around today at home depot but couldn t find any product name 'zpoxy'... also i need to re-do the port and starboard side of the thing - the outside since shes cracked pretty much down the lenght of both sides.. i sanded her for a good while and got the clear coat off of the paint... i m still a long way from hitting bear glass tho... in the past i ve had a ton of experience with fibreglass (surfboards) but i was wondering about this beast... i m thinking about laying up a light layer of cloth on both sides, sanding it back and then brushing on a light coat of resin... does this sound like it ll work ??

if anyone could give me some pointers to help me bring this beats back to life then i d be stoked... including where i could purchase the crap i need... when shes done i plan on hitting it with an airbrush that my wife has had laying around for the last 15 years :)... thats another story... i ll post some pictures of the beast when shes done... i might even snap a couple of the damage tomorrow and post here to check out repair suggestions..

enjoy ya weekend

cheers

oz

Mich. Maniac
08-05-2007, 05:05 PM
I would go to your local body shop. I know it sounds weird but the one my father helped start specialized in corvettes and they are all glass. They could tell you where to get everything and the fix sounds like it may be much more intense than you think. If you dont get rid of the crack at both ends it may keep going. they may tell you to actually cut out a chunk. cloth and resin from inside if poss. and prime and fill from outside for a nice flawless finish.

Diegoboy
08-05-2007, 07:45 PM
...or you could buy Dirty's hull (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=1033) & put your HW on it.

ozboater
08-07-2007, 12:02 PM
if i replace it with anything it ll be an OM26... i can bring this thing back to life...

zpoxy gents... what is it and where can i get it ??

cheers

saleens7
08-07-2007, 12:08 PM
i beleive zpoxy is a type of epoxy resin....i think you can find it at your hobby shop...ive seen it at mine before...