PDA

View Full Version : Would you recommend a SV 27?

evofan74
08-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey guys just wanted to know if some of you SV 27 owners could chime in on all the pros and cons of the boat. I am thinking of getting one. I am fairly new to RC and very new to RC Boats. I have a Villain EX that has been fairly problem free for 3 months. I really like it. I run deans plugs and added motor cooling too. I run it on two custom made 7cell 4200 packs and it really flies without much heat. Handling is ok but it could be better.

I want another boat but I don't want to spend much more than what the SV costs. I know there are many advantages for brushless and I was hoping someone could compare the SV with a Villain EX if they own both or have driven them, radio; esc; motor; driveline; handling etc... Thanks!

aqua man
08-04-2007, 09:07 PM
SV will be ALOT faster than even a modded villain. IMO The villain hull is too big and heavy for 540 motors, and the steerible outdrives rob a ton of power. It is a cool boat though, but is has as many limiting factors as it has neet features.
The only thing i would say the villain could do better than a sv is handle ruff water.
just my 2 cents though.

Mich. Maniac
08-04-2007, 09:56 PM
That is a complicated question to answer. I am happy with the one I have. I got it for my wife so we could race. my boat blows it outta the water but its still tons of fun!

evofan74
08-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks Aqua Man. What other boat do you have Mich?

ozboater
08-04-2007, 11:41 PM
i am a complete RC virgin... had my SV for about 3- 4 months now... i love it... runs great and i d highly recommend one... a friend of mine has a villian ex... he bought it here to the local lake and ran it with my sv and a mates om21... the next time he came back he had an sv27 :)...

i don t think you d be dissapointed..

Jeepers
08-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I race against 3 of them, tuned well they offer tough competition! for the cost you cant go wrong!!!!

evofan74
08-05-2007, 12:34 AM
good posts, thanks

Mich. Maniac
08-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Boats I have for the moment are just an sv built by SJFE and a 36" NQD which I gutted the day I got it and made into a almost undrivable rocket. The hull just wasnt meant for the speeds it reaches which is why I am parting it out to afford my new hull. I want something that can corner in outside lane around 40mph. I am hoping to do some actuall racing next year.

NorthernBoater
08-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I have not used a SV27 but I do agree that it is better than the Villain. Having two motors does not mean it goes faster. I have a Villain and after upgrading it I realized it would have been better to put the money towards a new boat.

Doozie870
08-05-2007, 11:57 PM
The yellow one is faster than the others.

evofan74
08-06-2007, 02:31 PM
umm the yellow SV is faster than the others? Why is this?

Ctonez
08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
orange ones won all the podium spots at the Nats...:cool:

SV27 rocks. I've heard many veteran boat guys say this, and I back them fully;
"Best boat for the money!"
I have 2 and have learned a ton and had tons of fun running and upgrading them.
Here's my biggest personal endorsement of the boat;
As a rookie racer I am able to run competitively with boats that would cost nearly 3 times as much to build or purchase.

Get one...read all the pre-running tips you can find and evaluate which to do before you run it...don't skimp on battery packs. Have a retrieval method already planned before you run (that does not involve swimming), and go shred some water.

Mich. Maniac
08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
put the pipe down sir. White is faster. Easier to see it go bye you on outside lane!LOL!

Doozie870
08-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Ctonez, thats great news, Im not sure on your math however. $279 x 3= $837 Are you saying it would take that much to build a boat that runs in the mid 30s lol

Mich. Maniac
08-07-2007, 10:04 PM
That is about how much it would cost to start in the 30's and tune pitch and prop to get you alot faster. A competitive hull alone that capable of 50mph usually starts around 250+.

evofan74
08-08-2007, 11:33 AM
so the SV 27 does have a competitive hull? Also with minor mods how fast can a SV go? I mean barring a new motor and ESC can better batteries, more cells or better prop make it much faster?

Ctonez
08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Ctonez, thats great news, Im not sure on your math however. $279 x 3= $837 Are you saying it would take that much to build a boat that runs in the mid 30s lol

Uhh no, that's not what I'm saying at all, I thought the rest of the context of my post clarified that.
My SV with a 440/3 and lipos goes alot faster than mid 30's. The Pmono boats I race against go waaay faster than 30...and the other Pmono boats are in most cases "faster" than my boat, but I didn't really mention speed, I said "I am able to run competitively". Darin Jordan, Brian Buass, Greg Schweers, Scott Bickford...These guys are the best and their boats are awesome! (okay Darin races an SV too, but he's still faster than me on most days).;) I'm not saying all their boats cost that much, but I'll just say there are boats I run against that do indeed cost $837+.

To get an idea of relative speeds in our club, watch the PSFEMBC Pmono video on youtube...my SV is the yellow boat running in second (that is...until Bickford's boat stuffs and resurfaces upside down in front of my boat) to Buass' White super boat...that was when I was running all stock except for Lipos and a trick 440/3(burned up the stock stuff @ Nats by being stupid:o ).
Admittedly, I often get good results by way of the attrition of others rather than driving away from the pack...but that being said, the SV27 is a relatively good handling hull that can be driven with reasonable ease by a person with limited RC boat driving experience...like myself.

When you race your Pmono against the SV27's Doozie, is it outright speed that's winning you all the races? or is it the driver? you are winning all the races aren't you?:rolleyes:

Doozie870
08-08-2007, 09:52 PM
First I run an LSO boat against the SVs and have been in the top 2 every race since they began the mixed class (which is very fun btw) and yes top speed in the straights is whats helping, my driving is fair at best. But you have given me a great idea, I think Ill enter my lso in p-mono and just clean up the scraps. :rolleyes:

Steven Vaccaro
08-08-2007, 11:01 PM

Prices are dropping, for about $450 you can build a 40mph fiberglass bl boat with a fm radio.

But for $279 its still impossible to buy another rtr that will perform as good as a SV. I do and do not enjoy saying that. On one hand I love the sv and performance. Its great for the hobby! On the other hand there is no competition. No other choices. Which stinks. PROBOAT NEEDS TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!!

Jeepers
08-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Uhh no, that's not what I'm saying at all, I thought the rest of the context of my post clarified that.
My SV with a 440/3 and lipos goes alot faster than mid 30's. The Pmono boats I race against go waaay faster than 30...and the other Pmono boats are in most cases "faster" than my boat, but I didn't really mention speed, I said "I am able to run competitively". Darin Jordan, Brian Buass, Greg Schweers, Scott Bickford...These guys are the best and their boats are awesome! (okay Darin races an SV too, but he's still faster than me on most days).;) I'm not saying all their boats cost that much, but I'll just say there are boats I run against that do indeed cost $837+.

To get an idea of relative speeds in our club, watch the PSFEMBC Pmono video on youtube...my SV is the yellow boat running in second (that is...until Bickford's boat stuffs and resurfaces upside down in front of my boat) to Buass' White super boat...that was when I was running all stock except for Lipos and a trick 440/3(burned up the stock stuff @ Nats by being stupid:o ).
Admittedly, I often get good results by way of the attrition of others rather than driving away from the pack...but that being said, the SV27 is a relatively good handling hull that can be driven with reasonable ease by a person with limited RC boat driving experience...like myself.

When you race your Pmono against the SV27's Doozie, is it outright speed that's winning you all the races? or is it the driver? you are winning all the races aren't you?:rolleyes:

Doozie knows what speeds p monos run, he races against mine, since this is a mixed class of boats, the class was moved to 10 laps 1/10 mile course, to handicap the speed of my boat, so I had to retune to finish intact. made the class very competitive this way hence his top place finishes.

Doozie870
08-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Im completely open, run it buy the other guys. Lets run 1/2 mile SV27 P-Mono LSO no excuses class :D

raptor347
08-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Actually the price on the white super boat is a bit higher than $837. Hull, hardware, motor and ESC add up to about $830 add batteries and radio and it's at ~$1250.

The boat is pretty rediculous, but I built it to see what was possible. I can honestly say there's more power than the 33" hull can handle. It actually isn't a lot of fun to drive on the small course.

It will run a full mile race as it sits but probably won't stay on the water for the long straits of a nitro course. I'm going to detune it and go run with some of the nitro guys.

So at the last club race I hit a big fish with the Monster Mono in the second heat. Snapped the rudder off, destroyed the prop and one turn fin. I tossed a set of LiPos in my Orange SV along with a P-235 and 8 oz of lead (OK wrenches) for the third heat. I held Greg S off for almost two laps before I flipped it.

That final heat got me thinking. I figure there will be a lot of worn out SV hulls by next season with perfectly good power systems. So here is my thought: P-spec Mono class based on the SV power system- Any hull 30" and under (lots of good choices), SV power system, 4S1P LiPo, prop 47mm and under (I don't think I can bend a 47mm prop enough to hurt the stock ESC). It certainly make the P class more affordable and should make the racing more interesting.

So to get back on topic. I have 16 boats and the one boat that always goes to the pond with me is the SV. I recommend them all the time.

P.S. I'm building up a DF29 with SV power system to test the P-spec theory. I'll have it running for the first race in Sept.

Doozie870
08-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Thats a very good idea. There should be a thread on affordable class ideas.

Ctonez
08-09-2007, 12:53 PM
P.S. I'm building up a DF29 with SV power system to test the P-spec theory. I'll have it running for the first race in Sept.

P-spec...Cool idea! I have a Nostep2 that I was thinking of doing the same thing to...I'll get on that.
But really, isn't this just a scheme to get the SV27's out of your way?:D

Thanks for the cost info, I wasn't going to speculate on what yours cost, I was just going from what it'd cost me to build something of the same caliber. It was an approximation anyway.

Evofan - That's quite a recommendation BTW.

raptor347
08-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Actually it wasn't to get the SV's out of the way. The P-spec class would replace the existing P class. Besides, you know I enjoy racing SV's as much as anyone. At this point it's more of a challenge than any other class I race.

Greg and I are the only two with all out P monos and we've been talking about how they are too fast for most of our lakes. We both decided we'd put the monster boats on the shelf. Greg will have his DF 29 with SV power out this weekend, I'm not going to make it to this race.

My idea is actually to make racing more classes cheaper and make the racing more competitive. You might not believe it, but lapping the field regularly isn't that much fun. I'd rather lose a really close race than win by a lap (larry and I go at it pretty regularly).

I have plans for a P Sport spec as well.:D

Jeepers
08-10-2007, 01:25 AM
I was thinking of an N spec hydro class, say 6 nimh cells, an L size motor, in a 24" inch hull. motor must not be over 36mm dia and no more than 61mm in length. no more than a 100 amp speed control.

I have not worked out all the issues yet. but I think this would be a good class the speeds would be faster than normal LSH (at least in our club they would be):D

Jeepers
08-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Im completely open, run it buy the other guys. Lets run 1/2 mile SV27 P-Mono LSO no excuses class :D

I tried that I was shot down:D , thats why they handicapped me, I actually had to start 2 laps down at first, then they pushed it 10 laps. ( I think its more fun anyway)