PDA

View Full Version : Wet Transmitter revival

crabstick
09-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi Guys, thought id share this with you all.

I Was running at the beach yesterday and me boat stopped (petrol cat)
so i walked out to get it. I left my TX on the beach, but too close to the waters edge, when coming out of the water I kicked some water over my transmitter by accident.. it instantly started going nuts and humming, and I was thinking uh-o one dead Fasst unit. I recalled a method I used when I used to race rc cars many moons ago and put it into action. I packed up and drove home (live 300m from the beach) First thing I did was disconnect the power pack from the back of the TX and then take the back plate off the TX, corrosion had already started on the main PCB so i sprayed wd 40 on it to stop its progress. By this time the jug had boiled so I poured boiling water over most of the internal parts of the transmitter, as the boiling water turns the embedded moisture to vapour it was near dry in about 1-2 mins, I wrapped it in a teatowel and put it on top of the hot water cyl, this morning I plugged it in and its all working 100% again!

I revived several wet ESC's and RX's when I used to race offroad 1/10 scale cars as a youngster.

I have used it on a cell phone that went in the sea, and a tv remote (went in the toilet, long story) and have had 100% success so far.

Key points

*remove all power sources
*use boiling water
*leave in warm place at least for 12 hours or so.

Hope this helps someone.

Steven Vaccaro
09-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the info.

wirenut67
09-14-2009, 07:00 AM
So fight water with water! Ingenious! Thanks for the tip!

tiqueman
09-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Great tip! I never would have thought of that. Thanks!!! Ive used rubbing alcohol, in place of ther boiling water, and have had great success with that as well.

scooterP
09-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Some years ago a tornado came through my neighborhood and trashed a friend of mine's hobby building. Many pc and pc componect boards were buried in the mud and most would have thought they were trashed. We hung them up on a clothes line and sprayed them off with the water hose. We then dunked them in distilled water, let them dry in a low humidity environment (spare bedroom) and all were still a-ok.
I haven't heard of the boiling water trick......learn something new everyday.