PDA

View Full Version : Ul1 goes head to head with Pontoon boat!

Oddball185
09-13-2009, 06:58 PM
My UL-1 went head to head with a full size Pontoon boat.......And Lost!:cursing:
I guess my reciver got wet and I lost control full speed into a Pontoon boat. Ouch!!:crying:

Any tips on how to tackle this repair? I have worked with fiberglass a little, is there any thing else i should be using?

Thanks for the help!

alvinsmith75
09-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Looks like the perfect time to upgrade to a Vac-U-Pickle.

Shooter
09-13-2009, 11:07 PM
:laugh: HA HA HA! I agree with alvinsmith! I bet the pickle would have bounced off the pontoon boat! Mine hit the dock last week and the dent popped out like a piece of tupperware!!

You could do some glass and epoxy repair. I would recommend West System epoxy, but the Z-Poxy works well too!

Here's a photo of mine after a simple blow over. It ripped the seam completely. It looks ugly, but it can be sanded and painted to look good as new!

Oddball185
09-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks Guys! I think I will give the repair a try and see how it comes out. What do i have too loose right? The Vac-U-Pickle looks preety sweet! Soooo start with the fiberglass and finish up with the epoxy?

raptor347
09-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Here's how I'd do it:
-Tack it all back together with CA.
-Pour a little 2 part foam into the sponson (from the inside).
-Once it hardens up, sand through the paint/gel coat down to the glass.
-Cut some 6 oz glass into patches that will fit over the broken areas and tack them in place with a light fog of 3M 77 contact spray.
-Wet the glass out with slow cure epoxy and let it cure.
-Sand smooth and repete on all the broken faces of the sponson.
-Once all the cracks are repaired prime and refinish.

If you decide to get a new hull, a Dark Horse Shovel or Pickle Fork both run well on the UL-1 power system and hardware.
:biggrin:

TCR
09-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Trash it and get an upgraded hull if there's such a thing.

6S HYDRO
09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
i have a spare upgraded new hull in white if you want it 80.00 plus shipping

Oddball185
09-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks! I might just take you up on that. I'm going to give the repair a try this weekend. I'm sure for my first time it wont be pretty!