PDA

View Full Version : Bad Turnigy 3s ??

Brushless55
09-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I bought 2 of these along with the 2s versions..
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9515
and they had awesome power in my MM and UL-1! I ran them once and put about 2200mah back into the packs.. Today I was testing the 8XL that went bad last week and I heard one of these packs make a slight snap sound, and lost all power?
I can smell a slight burnt smell coming from the pack, only ran about 30sec at slow speed nothing got hot, and now nothing from the pack.
I used a voltage checker and I can get 4.14v from one a two cells but nothing on the third?
Help, can this pack be sent back or should I cut open the end and see if I can fix it?

Rumdog
09-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Not sure how you could fix it? I have the same packs and I love them! What was wrong with the 8xl?How many volts are you running through an 8xl? On which boat was it and what prop?

Brushless55
09-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Not sure how you could fix it? I have the same packs and I love them! What was wrong with the 8xl?How many volts are you running through an 8xl? On which boat was it and what prop?

I was running it on 4s then tried 5s with a CF42 for only a couple minutes, in my Mean Machine... ran awesome on 5s and did not get very hot

Brushless55
09-13-2009, 03:40 AM
Anyone? :popcorn2:

Team FFRB
09-13-2009, 06:17 AM
I bought 2 of these along with the 2s versions..
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9515
and they had awesome power in my MM and UL-1! I ran them once and put about 2200mah back into the packs.. Today I was testing the 8XL that went bad last week and I heard one of these packs make a slight snap sound, and lost all power?
I can smell a slight burnt smell coming from the pack, only ran about 30sec at slow speed nothing got hot, and now nothing from the pack.
I used a voltage checker and I can get 4.14v from one a two cells but nothing on the third?
Help, can this pack be sent back or should I cut open the end and see if I can fix it?

Sounds like the tag that comes out of each cell - One of these could have broken and will cause a open circuit.

Brushless55
09-13-2009, 10:53 AM
would it just be faster to fix it than try and return the battery for a different one?

SweetAccord
09-13-2009, 11:11 AM
You didn't state how long you have had these? Are they still under warranty? Do not try to fix as if you open them you will void any possible warranty . Contact Hobby City and see if they may be exchanged. If not then you can try to open and possibly fix them like Team said a tab may have burnt out. That is what I would do.

Good luck!

~Peace.

Brushless55
09-14-2009, 02:24 PM
As of today, 1 week

scooterP
09-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I would check with Hobby City to see what their take would be on the pack. I love my Turnigy 2s1p 5000mah packs. I have over forty cycles on one pair and still going strong.
It does sound like one of the tabs is broken. My only worry would be what caused it.....since you smelled some heat. It's not a hard fix, but it may puff the next time you use it if you fix the tab and carry on.....the smell is what tips it for me.

Brushless55
09-14-2009, 09:40 PM
If I don't hear from them soon, I'm going to cut into the lipo and fix the issue..
I hope a simple solder job will get it going.

6S HYDRO
09-15-2009, 11:55 AM
You cant solder the tabs if it is that that broke. They are aluminum and you need very special solder called aluminum paste. Send it back th hc. They are under warranty

bigpapa
09-15-2009, 11:58 AM
i also have 2 for my intruder s and love them and have had no problems at all

Flying Scotsman
09-15-2009, 12:08 PM
The question is what was wrong with the 8XL motor. You may have put an undue load on your whole system. I am interested as to how Hobby City respond, keep us up to date.

Douggie

Brushless55
09-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Still not sure what happend to my 8XL?
When I ran my packs they only got to 90* and only took out about 1700mah.
Charged just fine, and put these batteries upto my MMM brushless revo, hooked up my 8XL to the esc without load and ran the motor for about 30 seconds up and down, the motor was getting hot, esc very cool and batteries very cool, then I heard a slight snap sound come from the one pack and lost volts from it..
Hooked up other packs to this and the esc and motor still working..
HC has not gotten back with me about any warranty yet..

crabstick
09-15-2009, 04:17 PM
The question is what was wrong with the 8XL motor. You may have put an undue load on your whole system. I am interested as to how Hobby City respond, keep us up to date.

Douggie

Yes this is what Im thinking too, id be inspecting the 8XL to make sure theres not a rogue winding in there touching the rotor or something else bung.

When you say the 8xl went bad do you mean :

a. it dropped out of school and started smoking crack
b. it got its cousin pregnant
c. it spun the magnets
d.all of the above
:rofl::rofl:

Brushless55
09-15-2009, 04:27 PM
That's awesome! :rofl:

Well it went dead in the water?
not sure of its temp because it took me a couple minutes to get it back to shore and I did not have my temp gun on me, but it was hot to the touch
brought it home and it did not want to turn over, now with some fiddling it runs, makes a squeal and gets hot?

crabstick
09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
hmm sounds all bad dude, I would pull it to bits and have a looksee, the magnets may have imploded.

here's the how to from OSE

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info-pages/how-to-replace-feigao-bearing.php

Team FFRB
09-15-2009, 04:52 PM
That's awesome! :rofl:

Well it went dead in the water?
not sure of its temp because it took me a couple minutes to get it back to shore and I did not have my temp gun on me, but it was hot to the touch
brought it home and it did not want to turn over, now with some fiddling it runs, makes a squeal and gets hot?

Might be that the rotor magnet is slipping on the motor shaft? This has happened to me with a 10Xl.

Once fixed it was fine.

Also while can was open I replaced bearings both end with new one's from OSE.

Brushless55
09-15-2009, 04:52 PM
I did pull it apart the day I had the issue, and it looked ok..

Brushless55
09-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Might be that the rotor magnet is slipping on the motor shaft? This has happened to me with a 10Xl.

Once fixed it was fine.

Also while can was open I replaced bearings both end with new one's from OSE.

How did ya fix it?

BakedMopar
09-16-2009, 04:02 AM
I have the same batteries. I have had that problem with one of them. I heard a pop but I still have voltage, just one cell is about a half volt off. I balanced them ( took almost a whole day ) but have not used them since.

reaper racing
09-16-2009, 08:46 AM
we had the same problem with these same packs ran as 2x3s packs with a 6xl. the thing screamed till the tab on the battery broke. fixed it by simply soldering wire across the packs instead of repairing the tab

Rumdog
09-16-2009, 09:00 AM
^XL on 6s? Thats your problem right there!

Rumdog
09-16-2009, 09:01 AM
6xl*

Brushless55
09-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Ya! I to want to run my 6XL Revo on 6s..
Ok looks like I'm cutting into the pack.
Any one know where I can buy new shrink wrap?

reaper racing
09-17-2009, 04:43 AM
yeah ran a 6xl on 3s2p so 6 cells. was a bullet. very hot setup made the sv 27 into a dart lol. i went to charge another of my 3s turnigy packs today and the charger couldnt connect. sure enough on closer inspection one of the tabs had broken. not the fault of the battery, i accidently dropped this battery and the shock of it hitting the ground prob broke it

sailr
09-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Maybe the true verdict of the cheap chinese batteries is finally coming to pass.

DISAR
09-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I read that many people here are happy with the Turnigy and Zippy Flightmax. I was too during the first runs, but now I will never buy them again. Had same problems in one 3s and one 5s Zippys (one cell dead) with no apparent reason, had also two 6s (One Zippy one Turnigy) swallen from water immersion. I had the 6s Turnigy together and parallel with a 6s Flightpower immersed, the Turnigy is useless (swallen) but the Flightpower perfect.
I also had another situation where I had a Rhino and a Zippy with same specs (3s, 25C, 4900) running in series, the Zippy is useless now (swallen) but the Rhino is fine.

sundog
09-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Ya! I to want to run my 6XL Revo on 6s..
Ok looks like I'm cutting into the pack.
Any one know where I can buy new shrink wrap?

Before you unwrap that lipo, get some of the alum solder and paste. You won't be able to solder the tabs (you can bet that is what happened) with regular solder - it will just bead up. I know this from experience. I have had three different lipos - 3 different manufacturers do this. It is caused by pulling on the leads - either the balance leads or the power cables when taking them out of the boat. Don't do this!! They feel tough and secure, but once you take one apart, you will see how fragile they really are. I am now saving my (bad) cells and will one day buy the aluminim solder/paste and repair them. I've seen it for sale, but don't remember where it was. Sdg.

sailr
09-17-2009, 04:18 PM
The problem with cheap lipos as with everything else being sold direct out of china is that they buy from the cheapest source each time. So you might get good quality for a while until they run out of stock and then instead of going back to the same manufacturer again, they go looking for the cheapest source. Then when they get the new stock back in, it's crap. Lack of consistency of quality has always been the biggest problem with chinese products.

crabstick
09-17-2009, 04:46 PM
id say the SOME of problem is also user error, but people aren't willing to admit their own mistakes and its much easier blame the "cheap lipos"

I have seen how fragile the tabs can be even on high end lipos.

Flying Scotsman
09-17-2009, 04:48 PM
I think they need a few Germans to look at quality control or people will stop buying suspect Chinese products. A bargain is not always a bargain.

Douggie

crabstick
09-17-2009, 05:09 PM
I find hobbyking are pretty good these days, Not many other chinese resellers you can go and abuse on their forums!

Rumdog
09-17-2009, 05:10 PM
I will say, that I love mine!

crabstick
09-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I will say, that I love mine!

Ditto, I have had good experiences with pretty much all my hextronic/rhino/turnigy/zippy cells

sailr
09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I had heard nothing but good about their lipos too until a few people came out of the woodwork on this thread.

Bad quality....Bad user? Who knows! Could be either and/or both.

I just bought a remote temperature guage from Hobbycity. The instructions say "Plug in the 2S lipo into the receiver". THERE IS NO 2S LIPO with it! The space in the receiver is really tiny. No idea what will fit in it. I emailed HC and they said "No lipo comes with it and we have no idea what kind you need"

Great support! NOT! I now have a useless device. Costs more to send back than it's worth!

Brushless55
09-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Well I for one love these batteries, and will buy more..
They out perform any other lipos I have bought, and the money saved is well worth the issue I have..
user error is not the case here, I babby my lipos.. :smile:

crabstick
09-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I had heard nothing but good about their lipos too until a few people came out of the woodwork on this thread.

Bad quality....Bad user? Who knows! Could be either and/or both.

I just bought a remote temperature guage from Hobbycity. The instructions say "Plug in the 2S lipo into the receiver". THERE IS NO 2S LIPO with it! The space in the receiver is really tiny. No idea what will fit in it. I emailed HC and they said "No lipo comes with it and we have no idea what kind you need"

Great support! NOT! I now have a useless device. Costs more to send back than it's worth!

Sorry to be a dolphin and wander this off topic, BUT i do have that unit, and yeah the compartment is really small, I see theres a newer version that comes with the battery, but what I did was got two lipos from those little foam rc helis that you fly indoors (about 4 inches long the helis are), wired them in parallel with a balance tap. they work a treat

BakedMopar
09-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Cheapbatterypacks.com sell the solder for aluminum. Very inexpensive.

Brushless55
09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I may check with radio shack and wallymart for the solder..
Thanks

reaper racing
09-19-2009, 07:53 AM
i have to say i love all my turnigy lipo packs, 2s and 3s. my failure was definately user abuse lol

pmdevlin
10-01-2009, 08:17 PM
see my thread just posted regarding brand new turnigy 3 cell from hobbyking. it is 20 days old, you email them, they confirm immediately with a reference number, and a warranty return address, but.......when you study the terms and conditions regarding sending lipos back, it looks pretty unlikely they will "do the right thing" but we will see, also there is a 30 day return , which when we have full time jobs is pretty harsh, it took me almost that to wait for delivery of the 5.5mm bullets required, and getting a day off work to try the packs! , and it cost almost 50% of the price of the pack in recorded postage to ship back to them from the UK, you dont get that back, in hindsight, I should have just pulled it apart and rfepaired it!

reaper racing
10-02-2009, 12:18 AM
i have quiet a lot of the turnigy 3 and 3 cell lipos and i love them. both failures have been user error or stupidity lol. my feeling is look after them and they are fine, ie dont get them wet or drop them. i love em!!!

DISAR
10-02-2009, 03:31 AM
Which lipo is better, the one that if gets wet nothing happens or the one that if gets wet it's damaged?

From my experience, Flightpower-Polyquest and maybe Rhino are the first case, and Zippy-Turnigy are the second case.