PDA

View Full Version : Money saving choices

Ub Hauled
09-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Fast is relative to what kinda rig you already have, for example: if you have an N2 hydro, you should focus in what is fast for that kinda power/hull, not for what one can do on 3s, 4s, 6s, etc. The reason I say that is usually you'll have a hull that goes with that particular power (N2) and not with the higher voltage that people will suggest to place in there... besides, if you stick with YOUR setup until ready to get more hulls, not only will it save you money but also will teach you how to make your setup to go faster by changing CG, proper prop, work on props, sufficient rudder depth, tune a turn fin, etc. or just work properly.

The motive behind all this is, usually the boaters with less experience, will listen to "more experienced" boaters that suggest buying all this stuff when it's really not necessary since there is a lot of potential still there.

Thanks for listening...
Ub

wirenut67
09-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Excellent post and as a noob boater thank you for the sound advice. In rebuilding my Blackjack 26 I am finding there is a limit as to what the hull will handle, and there is no sense exceeding that.

Sometimes listening to the "pros" at the hobby store just leads one to buy a bunch of unneeded stuff, and is that not their objective? To move merchandise?

G Doggett
09-11-2009, 11:01 PM
:iagree:

That's partly the motive with my Rio Roses build.
I'm not just being cheap because I'm a 'tight arse', (although I probably am), but to show that for what is really only a sports hull with limited performance potential, you can have reasonable performance and fun without spending a lot on 'racing' components.
Graham.:rockon2:

tiqueman
09-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Well put Ub! Its easy to throw money at a hull (when you have it to throw) to make it faster. Anyone can do that. Theres no challenge there. As you know Ive been working extensively on a 32" cat. Although I did change my motor and esc (robbed them out of my BJ26 so it cost no $$$) because what the hull had in it wasnt practical... unless I wanted to run it in a pool. And the knowledge you can gain by sticking w/ what you have and keep "tweaking it" is priceless. And for me, its much more satisfying. A week of fine tuning and I picked up 3mph.. which doesnt seem like a lot. But I did this with 13 dollars, the help of many at OSE and a lot of time.

domwilson
09-12-2009, 01:15 AM
Fast is relative to what kinda rig you already have, for example: if you have an N2 hydro, you should focus in what is fast for that kinda power/hull, not for what one can do on 3s, 4s, 6s, etc. The reason I say that is usually you'll have a hull that goes with that particular power (N2) and not with the higher voltage that people will suggest to place in there... besides, if you stick with YOUR setup until ready to get more hulls, not only will it save you money but also will teach you how to make your setup to go faster by changing CG, proper prop, work on props, sufficient rudder depth, tune a turn fin, etc. or just work properly.

The motive behind all this is, usually the boaters with less experience, will listen to "more experienced" boaters that suggest buying all this stuff when it's really not necessary since there is a lot of potential still there.

Thanks for listening...
Ub

Agreed. You don't always need to throw big bucks into a setup when fine tuning may get you the same results.

AntronX
09-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Run less amps.

Simon.O.
09-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Agreed. You don't always need to throw big bucks into a setup when fine tuning may get you the same results.
That is what I spend most of my pond time doing.

Run less amps.

That works too.
I have a Cat that is as happy on 3S to a 540-12S as it is on a 2S to a 540-8S, same prop, same speed but the 12S runs a lot lower amps and better run(fun)
time.

Ub Hauled
09-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Good to hear that some of you are reading my post,
and see the message I am trying to
bring across...

domwilson
09-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Take a look at this thread... http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=9344

justintime2w8
01-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Very good ideas, I might add that there are soooo many choices out there for components that a person can shop around on a budget and get the stuff needed for any budget build.

Gary
02-20-2010, 09:08 PM
I think the only reason im into rc boating is so i can spend so much time messing with everthing. Most of the time its just a "TEST' When i go to the water, not to enjoy it but to see if my changes have done anything. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm ...mabe i should start bringing a lounge chair and enjoy myself..heaven forbid LOL.

ozzie-crawl
02-20-2010, 09:16 PM
gary i think a lot of us are the same way spend days tinkering and 5 minutes at the pond
come home spend a few more days tinkering, i think some times i enjoy doing little things to my boat more than running it.
must say i did run a boat for the first time in months last weekend and had a grin from ear to ear

Gary
02-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Your right on Ozzie........You know the worst.......best.......most fun.......aggrivating two things i ever bought that im addicted two are my Eagle Tree and hand held GPS. Im SILLY with that Eagle Tree unit. Plus i never bring the lap top to the lake because thats my " OH YEA !!! " part of my night instead of watching TV. Good Times !!!!

tiqueman
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Gary, thats funny you mention about the GPS. Ever since I got mine Im the same way. Fortunately I have a 4 acre pond in my back yard. My neighbor is always picking on me because he will see me running my boat, by the time he gets his shoes on and comes out the door, Im already done because Im always "testing."

However today I finally got to run the 3 FE boats I have with a member on the forum who brought a few boats. We spent 3 hours running several boats, all until the LVC's kicked in. It was a great time and made all that "testing" worth it...

Gary
02-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Cant wait to test my updated SAW boat. She whent 102mph last year with lots of problems. This year i upgraded to a 240HV unit and two 50-100 c 5000mah batteries. Cant wait to
"test" these suckers. They put out 520amps at full tilt !!Im afraid to connect the damn batteries LOL . I think she will go 106-110 ...somewhere in there........ if it stays on the water LOL

Ub Hauled
02-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I am with you guys, most of the time I go to the pond to test my changes... the trick to it all is having one boat (at least) that is your working horse... something that always works... the other thing is, bring a buddy(ies) with you, that way you can exchange info and even race each other a little.... in my case, Tony (properchopper), is my race buddy.

tiqueman
02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I am with you guys, most of the time I go to the pond to test my changes... the trick to it all is having one boat (at least) that is your working horse... something that always works... the other thing is, bring a buddy(ies) with you, that way you can exchange info and even race each other a little.... in my case, Tony (properchopper), is my race buddy.

:iagree: , so much more fun when you have someone with you who is also running a boat. Something that always works??? You can do that with a boat!?!?! :just-kidding:

blackcat26
02-22-2010, 08:30 PM
That's funny about something that always works.......So far, that's been my Zig Zag Racer rescue boat.

tiqueman
02-22-2010, 08:36 PM
My AQ Hammer.. also a rescue boat...... But ALWAYS works.

LarrysDrifter
05-23-2010, 01:44 PM
I cant get any of my buddies to get a boat.I just run by myself and have a good time.I still need to get a rescue boat tho.Maybe a cheapie from Target or Wal Mart?

j.m.
05-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Im always trying to find inexpensive and efficient 2s setups. The 2s lipos for rc cars are SOOOO cheap.

Jon