PDA

View Full Version : Problems binding a DX3S.

Akoni
09-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I just received a new DX3S for use on my boat and truck. After repeatedly following the binding directions per the manual, I have had no luck binding the transmitter to either of the included receivers. Has anyone had a similar issue and if so, how was it resolved? The receivers are not installed in any vehicles, just powering them off the included battery tray.

mickvk
09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
After binding, If you plug the battery into the lowest plug, it wont work. The battery can go into the AUX port.

If that's not it, explain each step of the process you are performing and what the result is. Otherwise there is nothing to go on to know what is happening there.

Akoni
09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
1. On either the SR300 or the telemetry Rx, I plug the 4AA battery pack (with fresh alkalines) into the throttle slot to power the receiver. Have also tried in the steering and aux slots.

2. Put bind plug into bind slot of the Rx.

3. Turn on the transmitter and go to the BIND menu.

4. Power up the Rx; it gives a rapidly flashing LED signal.

5. Press the BIND selection on the Tx.

6. ....that's it, nothing else happens. The Rx light never goes steady to indicate a successful bind. The Tx does not beep nor make any indication of either success or failure.

What am I missing? This is so easy on my heli radio....

D. Newland
09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Is the negative wire of your Rx battery on the outside of the Rx case? Plugging the Rx battery in to the throttle slot has worked for me.

The Rx should give a slow flash while it's binding, then go dark, then solid when done. 15 to 20 seconds or so.

cacofonix
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
hi there

i have a DX3R with AR3100 receivers.

it happen one time for me, my receiver pack was really low voltage.
for binding i always plug a servo to check that binding is ok.

and main point i think, i always use a 6v pack.

herve

Akoni
09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Is the negative wire of your Rx battery on the outside of the Rx case? Plugging the Rx battery in to the throttle slot has worked for me.

The Rx should give a slow flash while it's binding, then go dark, then solid when done. 15 to 20 seconds or so.

Hmm, does the orientation of the negative wire affect whether it can bind or not? I will check this afternoon.

mickvk
09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Hmm, does the orientation of the negative wire affect whether it can bind or not? I will check this afternoon.

I think you had it right. Otherwise I don't think the RX would have powered up as you said it did.

That's a tough one, I don't see what's wrong. Sorry.

Akoni
09-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I think you had it right. Otherwise I don't think the RX would have powered up as you said it did.

That's what Horizon just said. They want the unit back to see what is going on. I was really hoping to be running this Tx this weekend....guess it'll be at least one more round of AM Russian roulette!

D. Newland
09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
When I first got a DX3R Marine radio, I couldn't get it to bind and it was because I had the Rx battery lead upside down. The Rx did flash IIRC, but it wouldn't bind.

Akoni
09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
When I first got a DX3R Marine radio, I couldn't get it to bind and it was because I had the Rx battery lead upside down. The Rx did flash IIRC, but it wouldn't bind.

DX3R Marine?!?!? Is that out yet?

D. Newland
09-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Check with Steven here at OSE to see if the DX3R he's got for sale has the marine programming.

Darin Jordan
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Check with Steven here at OSE to see if the DX3R he's got for sale has the marine programming.

Guys... the DX3R currently does NOT support the marine protocol. The ONLY surface radio that Spektrum sells that does is the DX3S.

The DX3R radios that David and I have were prototypes with special programming protocol... they just used the DX3R platform to do it. This is the protocol that is now in the DX3S.

I've had one RX not bind with my DX3S setup, and still don't know exactly what was wrong, because I was later able to bind it in another boat.

I don't use RX batteries, so I suspect that is where the problem is... Make sure it's charged, and that the ground wire is on the correct side. I believe the grounding plane is on the outside pins, and the signal (orange or yellow or white wire, depending on your setup) goes on the inside pin. Red is in the middle...

AndyKunz
09-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Yes.

Sometimes the rx will LOOK like it's working if you plug the battery in wrong, but it won't bind. Go ahead and put the battery in the right way.

It's an electronics thing that allows them to "work" with the battery in backwards. Lots of micros will power up through their I/O pins. In fact, on one small system I did I allowed the user to plug it in either way and it would still work correctly all the time. The micro's pins are connected via a totem pole arrangement and leakage current is plenty to start the micro up. If you force the pins into output mode and to the same polarity that they are connected to, you can run well off them.

But that's just a side thing. Plug your battery in right and let us know if it binds.

Andy

Akoni
09-10-2009, 06:16 PM
OK. When plugged in one way (the way in which the power plug slides in easily), the LED will blink like it is supposed to when the bind plug is in place but will not bind. With the power plugged in that way but without a bind plug, the LED lights briefly and then remains off and no binding takes place. If you flip the power around (to what I assume is the wrong way), the LED is steady green albeit a duller green at power up and again does not blink nor bind. All batteries are fresh alkalines as I have not even put this in a model yet. I think I've tried every permutation possible.

AndyKunz
09-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Sounds like you just need to call customer service. They'll take good care of you.

1-800-338-4639

Andy

Steven Vaccaro
09-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Its on its way back to me, to swap out.